Advice for cheapest funeral of farang husband in NE outer Bangkok area for Thai widow.

cliveshep

If she transfers the money to her account she could be accused of theft.  Draw up a Will and provide a copy to the main branch where you opened the account.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

I'm 78, realistically my time is limited. I'm concerned about my wife being in trouble when I die

Just to be sure: Is she legally your wife? If yes, good.

If no, then the embassy will try to contact your farang children, if you have any. And even if you didn't have any contact with those children over many years, it's up to them what happens with your dead body.

Dao, from AMAR, see Sheryl's post, can explain this all to you. Her English is perfect. 

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Contact https://www.amarinternational.com/contact.html

They can arrange completely no frills cremation on outskirts of Bangkok and will also help liaise with Embassy for the needed paperwork etc. (Foreigner body can not be released for cremation or burial without Embassy OK first, Embassy will need proof wife us next of kin etc). If your wife will have any sort of death benefit entitlement from UK source or need access to zmany UK accounts they will help her get the needed documentation for that as well.

You can prepay for this if you like to make it that much easier for your wife...this also protects against subsequent cost rise.

Last time I knew someone who used them cost was about 25k. May be a bit more now. Call Dao (number on website) to find out. She is very helpful.

Cremation alone with no ceremony does not cost anywhere near 400 (or even 100)k. But especially in Bkk area temples (which are indeed where crematoria are located) can be reluctant to do this. Amar has an ongoing relationship with one that they use for this purpose.

What happens if the deceased has no family in Thailand or abroad? The Embassy would have no one to contact in the home country. From what I can gather, they dump the body in an unmarked grave. I'm asking, because I'm in this situation after a divorce.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, it is what it is said:

sounds like you're doing the right things, the average cost of a uk funeral would be around 180,000 baht, so not sure where you get a figure of 400k from.

Funerals in the UK are usually simple jobs, it is very different in LOS.

Have you never seen the handing out of envelopes, the parties, the vigils and food at the Temple....? 🤗

49 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

all she needs is the cheapest cremation, no monks wailing or chanting, no food, no flowers, we are both Christian but it seems that it is only in a temple that a body can be cremated. 

It will cost about 1k per person that attends IME and that was with food, my wife organized for my mate that died 20k covered the whole thing,  it its not the cremation that is the cost, its getting the body returned from the Police Forensics but that only cost 43k and that was to Koh Chang including the coffin. The cremation ceremony  itself if done at a Buddhist temple is a 3 day affair, 1st day chanting, second day cremation, next day when the ashes have cooled down your bones are smashed up. It all seems pretty mandatory. From what I have heard just a cremation costs just 5K.

You could contact the company below and get one of their forms, its all the paperwork, embassy, death cert that is a pain if you do it yourself, let them do all the leg work your death will also have to be registered at your local Amphur before they release the body, this company were very professional. Where it says other just put the name of the Temple you want. Edit this was one recommended to me by the OZ embassy. 

IMG_20231218_170207.thumb.jpg.f35bc7e4459de83197ff00ae84356cd0.jpg

Edited by brianthainess
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

What happens if the deceased has no family in Thailand or abroad? The Embassy would have no one to contact in the home country. From what I can gather, they dump the body in an unmarked grave. I'm asking, because I'm in this situation after a divorce.

Yep a Pauper's 'grave' but I think they just burn you in the incinerator.

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Yep a Pauper's 'grave' but I think they just burn you in the incinerator.

If they cremate your body, that's cool, but I don't think they do. Do you have any references to the procedure?

1 minute ago, JensenZ said:

If they cremate your body, that's cool, but I don't think they do. Do you have any references to the procedure?

No sorry but as the body will have already have had an autopsy, I can't see why there would be a burial, just my opinion/gut feeling. Cremation is cheaper than using land for a burial. init.

10 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

No sorry but as the body will have already have had an autopsy, I can't see why there would be a burial, just my opinion/gut feeling. Cremation is cheaper than using land for a burial. init.

I just found some information on it. They are trying to change the law to allow unidentified or unclaimed bodies to be cremated, but at the moment, they are still buried. They are running out of space to bury them.

Law change sought for unknown bodies

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Georgealbert said:

f you die at home, with no hospital history of medical conditions, the police normally require the body is sent for a post mortem. That will mean additional hospital and transport costs. If you die in hospital, with no suspicious circumstances, then a post mortem is not normally required.

My friend died in hospital from MND on Koh Chang the Police Insisted he was taken to BKK for autopsy cost was 5k. 

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My friend died in hospital from MND on Koh Chang the Police Insisted he was taken to BKK for autopsy cost was 5k. 

Yes, it depends on the police doing the death report and the hospital. It can also depend on who talks to the police and hospital and the persons medical history/suspected cause of death.

The UK Embassy will not chase up if a post mortem is not carried out.

Have helped a few friends, local to me, and some have been sent to the Police Hospital, BKK for post mortem and some have not.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1

As said it is probably best to arrange plan now to be sure you get what you want (low price).  Wife is likely to be pressed to spend more and be made to feel she is not providing a proper send off for her loved one if she has to take care of arrangements after your death.  Embassies do have lists available for those providing such service and you have several recommendations already for a service that others have used and had good experience with.  

Can foreigner "donate" his remains to museum? Thais can do and that considers as "tamboon", but foreigner?
That would clear a lot of hassle and maybe be beneficial to students to study [say] farang's liver and cohones?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

If she transfers the money to her account she could be accused of theft.  Draw up a Will and provide a copy to the main branch where you opened the account.

First the facts:

a). Does your wife know where the bank book is kept?

b).  I'm guessing it's a joint savings account but was it set up so that:

b)1.  - Both parties need to sign all documents (mainly meaning withdrawals)? or

b)2. - Only one party needs to sign any document including withdrawals?

(It is possible the bank might have a maximum withdrawal amount for each

transaction.)

If it's b)2. Some banks follow the idea that if one party is still alive and that's all that's needed according to the setup of the account, she just goes ahead and signs a withdrawal / several withdrawals to remove quickly the funds.

Another point; If the bank is not told you are now deceased, then if the wife presents the bank book and a withdrawal slip signed she has signed then there is no reason why the bank would not allow her to withdraw the money; just one withdrawal or several withdrawals over a short period of time.

Perhaps you could talk with the bank manager, your wife must be present, and good translation provided if needed, to ask whether she can sign alone after you are deceased. And at the same time check if there's a maximum amount for withdrawals. And preferably equest the bank manager write and sign and have witnessed a short note as to what can happen with the bank account.

Perhaps also worth considering to write a simple will, and in the will, amongst other items make it specific that all assets (including bank balances and other specific items) are bequeathed by your wife, with her complete name, ID card number etc. But make sure the will is properly signed and witnessed. 

Edited by scorecard

22 minutes ago, scorecard said:

First the facts:

a). Does your wife know where the bank book is kept?

b).  I'm guessing it's a joint savings account but was it set up so that:

b)1.  - Both parties need to sign all documents (mainly meaning withdrawals)? or

b)2. - Only one party needs to sign any document including withdrawals?

(It is possible the bank might have a maximum withdrawal amount for each

transaction.)

If it's b)2. Some banks follow the idea that if one party is still alive and that's all that's needed according to the setup of the account, she just goes ahead and signs a withdrawal / several withdrawals to remove quickly the funds.

Another point; If the bank is not told you are now deceased, then if the wife presents the bank book and a withdrawal slip signed she has signed then there is no reason why the bank would not allow her to withdraw the money; just one withdrawal or several withdrawals over a short period of time.

Perhaps you could talk with the bank manager, your wife must be present, and good translation provided if needed, to ask whether she can sign alone after you are deceased. And at the same time check if there's a maximum amount for withdrawals. And preferably equest the bank manager write and sign and have witnessed a short note as to what can happen with the bank account.

The OP said she is a signatory on the account.  He did not say it is a joint account. A Signatory has limited access to the account management while the account holder is alive, not the same as a joint holder.

To be clear, a Signatory cannot withdraw money after the main account holder dies.  It is illegal and like I mentioned before, she could be prosecuted for theft.

He needs some documentation provided to the bank as to where he wants the money to go when he dies.

Edited by bkk6060

You're going to have to ask your wife to explain why she thinks it will cost 400,000 baht or anywhere near. I attended a wealthy businessman's funeral last year and that was less than 150,000 baht. The last funeral I was at cost 30,000 baht and we attendees funded the majority of that. Heading north of 200,000 is wild, anywhere near 400,000 baht is absurd. Totally absurd. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, theblether said:

You're going to have to ask your wife to explain why she thinks it will cost 400,000 baht or anywhere near. I attended a wealthy businessman's funeral last year and that was less than 150,000 baht. The last funeral I was at cost 30,000 baht and we attendees funded the majority of that. Heading north of 200,000 is wild, anywhere near 400,000 baht is absurd. Totally absurd. 

Last one I visited lasted 10 days and was well over 2 mil. baht.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

It will cost about 1k per person that attends IME and that was with food, my wife organized for my mate that died 20k covered the whole thing,  it its not the cremation that is the cost, its getting the body returned from the Police Forensics but that only cost 43k and that was to Koh Chang including the coffin. The cremation ceremony  itself if done at a Buddhist temple is a 3 day affair, 1st day chanting, second day cremation, next day when the ashes have cooled down your bones are smashed up. It all seems pretty mandatory. From what I have heard just a cremation costs just 5K.

You could contact the company below and get one of their forms, its all the paperwork, embassy, death cert that is a pain if you do it yourself, let them do all the leg work your death will also have to be registered at your local Amphur before they release the body, this company were very professional. Where it says other just put the name of the Temple you want. Edit this was one recommended to me by the OZ embassy. 

IMG_20231218_170207.thumb.jpg.f35bc7e4459de83197ff00ae84356cd0.jpg

Bangkok area  temples charge far more than rural ones. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, cliveshep said:

I'm 78, realistically my time is limited. I'm concerned about my wife being in trouble when I die, we got the 400,000 assuming she can get hold of it, she is a signatory on the account - seen under UV light on the book, but not sure if she can transfer the money legally if I'm dead. So does anyone know if she transfers my money to her own account using my laptop as we do all the time is it legal after my death, it's certainly legal when I'm alive.

Next advice - she says it will cost most of that amount to dispose of my body and that is exorbitant - all she needs is the cheapest cremation, no monks wailing or chanting, no food, no flowers, we are both Christian but it seems that it is only in a temple that a body can be cremated. 

So advice please, we live on my UK pension, and they are not generous, far from it!

Where is the problem? Just tell your wife, that you give here X amount for take care of your funeral.

If she don't adhere, you made your biggest mistake in life many years ago. 

Do not try to blame today's circumstances on bad knowledge.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, cliveshep said:

I'm 78, realistically my time is limited. I'm concerned about my wife being in trouble when I die, we got the 400,000 assuming she can get hold of it, she is a signatory on the account - seen under UV light on the book, but not sure if she can transfer the money legally if I'm dead. So does anyone know if she transfers my money to her own account using my laptop as we do all the time is it legal after my death, it's certainly legal when I'm alive.

Next advice - she says it will cost most of that amount to dispose of my body and that is exorbitant - all she needs is the cheapest cremation, no monks wailing or chanting, no food, no flowers, we are both Christian but it seems that it is only in a temple that a body can be cremated. 

So advice please, we live on my UK pension and they are not generous, far from it!

Pondering this myself , and how there could be a problem with my wife accessing my bank funds , we bought a safe which I have installed at home.

Two thirds of my funds are now in this safe and my bank account is kept at around 100,000 which she can empty with my ATM card on my demise.

If your house is secure it is worth considering. If you need the money for your extension just put it back in your account 2 months before you apply.

Just make sure you don't kick the bucket during this period.

72d5fd612ef85e8e4ed6307d338673bd.png_2200x2200q80.png_.webp

Many thanks to all the members who responded. To address some points or questions:-

I made a will, got a Government official plus SIL to sign and date every page as a witness and signed every page myself. There are two copies. I used a modified standard Thai will form, modifications being to simply delete non-applicable clauses, keeping it simple. It is written in both Thai and English and translations have been checked. My wife has both copies and it clearly states that she is the sole beneficiary and that I have instructed her to clear my account on my death. I also clearly state that she has my pin numbers and passwords and has done for the last 10 years and that there are no other beneficiaries except her and my grown adult kids have rejected all claims.

I do all my banking on-line, both UK bank which holds very little and my Bangkok Bank account. She has passwords and pin numbers to both accounts and the records will show that all transfers - and there are many every month - are made to her alone, I've told her to carry on the transfers until the account is empty. I make no other payments except one payment to her family monthly, all bills she pays - I transfer money, she pays.

The reason is as she explained years ago - little money is ever left in her account, if I were to lose my bank card or an ATM scammed me we'd be stuffed, by only paying her by internet transfers my account is protected. I use a computer, not a mobile phone which I feel cannot be trusted in security terms. I have considered a joint account but feel it is probably better to let her do internet transfers and only after she has done them to call whoever she has to call over my case. My set limits for transfers are daily 0.5 million and 450,000 on internet transfer so she'll only need to do one and if God is gracious and I can still do it before last gasp even better.

I think prepaying the company as Sheryl has suggested is a great idea and I copied that excellent post to my (LEGAL) wife (we were married in a UK Church) and will get her to make enquiries. If they were to undertake to do everything that would be great for my wife.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Soon as a death is notified I understand the bank accounts are frozen.

Only way is to give her the money now, or prepay.

Does Thailand use corpses for medical training? If so, get into that program, don't need to pay anything.

I told my relatives that if I died in LOS they were ignore any mail from Thailand so they couldn't get roped into paying.