Pay for costly Lazada order by credit card or bank transfer?

Crossy

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

Not to get into an argument or anything but I doubt that your card was compromised by your Lazada purchase since Lazada itself securely handles all credit card transactions, not the merchant. 

I guess it could have been a dishonest Lazada employee that somehow bypassed the security but that seems highly unlikely considering how secure credit card processing is handled by large companies such as Lazada.

Regardless, your credit card company protected you, so no harm done.  The whole point of using a credit card for online purchases is NOT cashback points, but protection.  The vast online marketplace today would not exist if it were not for the ability to safely use credit cards.

To use something other than a credit card for online purchases is like having sex with a stranger without using a condom LOL!

I'm convinced it was related to the Lazada transaction.  I have three credit cards, this particular card had not been used for 11 months prior to a single purchase on Lazada.  Two days after the transaction  someone is buying gold on my card.

Unless someone  copied my card and then waited 11 months before using it, it was Lazada.

I deleted the card from Lazada 5 months ago - no further issues.

10 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

I'm convinced it was related to the Lazada transaction.  I have three credit cards, this particular card had not been used for 11 months prior to a single purchase on Lazada.  Two days after the transaction  someone is buying gold on my card.

Unless someone  copied my card and then waited 11 months before using it, it was Lazada.

I deleted the card from Lazada 5 months ago - no further issues.

So, do you not use credit cards at all for online purchases now?

Edited by WaveHunter

7 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

the best is to use a virtual credit card, which can be created in just a few seconds and is approved for an amount set by the customer as needed.
any further charges to that card number will be denied. 100% safe.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Crossy said:

In pre-covid times possibly, although a 500km drive in each direction isn't necessarily an enjoyable experience.

Point taken and maybe I should have said, "if practicable".

• Like 1

Are you sure they will take it? I tried to use (I think) my Thai Citi and my US Chase and the max they would allow using the card was 20K. Had to do a transfer. 

I also think it had to do with my US Chase card getting turned off and having to have a new card issued which was a GoatF. 

24 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I still use my other cards to buy flights, book hotels etc, just don't use them for Lazada. 

I agree with what you say about the general security levels for on-line transactions, but my personal experience of Lazada has made me wary of that particular platform.

Havnt read previous 4 pages.

Use your UK credit card, I only use that on Lazada, if the sh-t hits the preverbial aleast yku are speaking the same language and the process is straight forward.

I'm fortunate my uk card has no transaction or overseas fees.

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

I still use my other cards to buy flights, book hotels etc, just don't use them for Lazada. 

I agree with what you say about the general security levels for on-line transactions, but my personal experience of Lazada has made me wary of that particular platform.

I respect what you're saying.  I've never had that happen to me before with a major online platform, but if I did, I'd probably be wary as well. 

I have had it happen though several times where the credit card company contacted me or temporarily disabled my card due to suspicious activity, and several times a sizable purchase had even been made on my card without my knowledge, but in each case it was with a store that I had never even heard of, and in each case I was not held liable and a new card was quickly issued to me by FedEx.

There are so many ways your card can be compromised these days, you never really know how the culprits are even ale to do it.  It's gotten very high tech.  All that matters though is that the credit card companies are willing to protect you from liability, and they seem to do that very well.

• Like 1

I would only use your Thai credit card if you have the facility of an OTP

With that you are pretty well protected..

My KTC CC has been fraudently used 4 times, from the US.Every time caught by them 

& in one case they rang me while I was overseas (which they knew)

Great service 

On 6/6/2021 at 6:12 PM, Crossy said:

There is definitely a "dispute a charge" facility (Citi Thailand) but I've never actually had to use it. Which is of course why I'm posting here hopefully for someone with actual experience with a Thai based card.

I've made lots of purchases for high $$ items from Lazada.  One was for a great deal on on an OLED TV, of which the Lazada seller offered a better deal than anyone else by a margin of almost 20k THB, and I had no problems.  The TV has worked flawlessly for 3 years so far.  For best security for high $$ items, I use credit card.  Our CCs are with Bangkok Bank and yes we've had to dispute charges made via them before, successfully and with full cooperation.  Lazada themselves have been cooperative with returns in most cases.  The last time I had a problem with a product we had to go into dispute with the seller with Lazada mediating, and in that instance we got a replacement product that worked fine (Just under 6k THB).

7 minutes ago, JWRC said:

I haven't read all the posts, but the first thought that came to mind was why not choose the pay on delivery method.

The OP says "COD is not an option", the exact reasons it is not an option are not entirely relevant to this discussion.

But just to clarify.

One of many persons could be available to take the delivery dependant upon day, time etc. etc. Whilst I'd trust most of them with 60 Grand in cash there's always temptation. They are all capable of rejecting an obviously damaged package from the delivery service.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Are you sure they will take it? I tried to use (I think) my Thai Citi and my US Chase and the max they would allow using the card was 20K. Had to do a transfer. 

I also think it had to do with my US Chase card getting turned off and having to have a new card issued which was a GoatF. 

Good point, the card itself is good for well over the transaction value and I don't see any limit on the Lazada payment screens.

Use your Thai credit card. 

I had an issue with a refrigerator I bought from lazada, they sent me the wrong item.

I paid with my Kasikorn credit card, so reported this in person at the bank filled out documents, the bank was very helpful. 

It took some time but I received a full refund. 

On 6/7/2021 at 5:24 PM, BenDeCosta said:

I've considered upgrading my ram, but I have software on my PC that monitors my memory usage. I have 8GB and have never gone over 94% usage, so for now, it would be a waste of money.

All PC users have similar software included in W10.

For what it costs, a further 8GB RAM stick could significantly increase the speed at which your PC works. 

Well I bought the beast, actually 45,000 Baht with free shipping.

Used my Thai Citi Prestige visa card, no issues whatever. It did need two OTPs, one from Lazada to confirm the order and another from Citi to authorise the payment.

I do not wish to find out what happens when it all goes pear-shaped.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Used my Thai Citi Prestige visa card, no issues whatever. It did need two OTPs, one from Lazada to confirm the order and another from Citi to authorise the payment.

I do not wish to find out what happens when it all goes pear-shaped.

Dont worry, all the stars will align for a hassle free transaction and process........

If it doesnt we are all here to perform the virtual autopsy ????

• Haha 2

You can let Lazada securely save your credit card details, and then ordering is very easy, requiring only your credit card's 3-digit security code to make a purchase.  I regularly make purchases on Lazada at least 4-5 per month, and never had any issues.  Lazada is a very secure platform IMO.

Since shipping charges are usually very low (like as low as 50 baht or even free), I sometimes order things little things as cheap as 50 THB that are just too inconvenient to find locally.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

You can let Lazada securely save your credit card details, and then ordering is very easy, requiring only your credit card's 3-digit security code to make a purchase.  I regularly make purchases on Lazada at least 4-5 per month, and never had any issues.  Lazada is a very secure platform IMO.

Since shipping charges are usually very low (like as low as 50 baht or even free), I sometimes order things little things as cheap as 50 THB that are just too inconvenient to find locally.

Its alot easier to relax and browse what you need than trying to find a store that has it, then (potentially) trying to jump the language barrier to obtain it........click and done, wait for doorbell...????

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Its alot easier to relax and browse what you need than trying to find a store that has it, then (potentially) trying to jump the language barrier to obtain it........click and done, wait for doorbell...????

My blood runs cold when I am in a store and realize I am looking for something unusual and need to ask for help.......I know what comes next.......The deer in headlights look from the employees..............

Without a picture it's hopeless.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

My blood runs cold when I am in a store and realize I am looking for something unusual and need to ask for help.......I know what comes next.......The deer in headlights look from the employees..............

Without a picture it's hopeless.....

Know the feeling only too well.

At least now we have mobile data to download a picture and Google Translate to mess up the name.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Usually followed by the universal "mai mee" !.........and its in the next aisle !!

That's so funny! 

I remember the first time that happened to me.  I was trying to describe to the sales girl what "velcro strips" were. 

Talk about a "deer in the headlights look" from her, and the frustration I had trying to describe what a velcro strip was.  The hand gestures and sound effects I used just made it worse LOL!

Now I always am armed with my smart phone with a picture of the item loaded up, and a good translator app.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 8:47 AM, Crossy said:

It arrived at 12.15 today by Flash, no issues yet. With the packaging it weighs 25kg, nearly killed the delivery chap getting it off the truck.

Testing over the weekend but I don't really forsee any issues.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

It arrived at 12.15 today by Flash, no issues yet. With the packaging it weighs 25kg, nearly killed the delivery chap getting it off the truck.

May I ask WHAT you have bought??

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

May I ask WHAT you have bought??

555, I've been keeping it a secret, if you know my current projects you should be able to guess ???? 

As noted earlier it's not batteries or a giant flat screen TV ???? 

• Haha 1

On 6/11/2021 at 1:33 PM, Crossy said:

Let me guess some nice 3D printer ????