Pay for costly Lazada order by credit card or bank transfer?

Crossy

3 minutes ago, mahjongguy said:

Is that still true? A friend just mentioned to me that I should start using Lazada's Wallet because  foreigners now get full rights and abilities.

Foreigners now get the full function of the wallet ???? 

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

There is definitely a "dispute a charge" facility (Citi Thailand) but I've never actually had to use it. Which is of course why I'm posting here hopefully for someone with actual experience with a Thai based card.

I buy  from Lazada frequently and now always use a credit card (Visa UOB) for the sheer convenience of that single click to pay.  A 17,000 Baht order to a vendor who ultimately could not deliver the product was refunded through my credit card promptly. 

• Like 1

Wherever possible I use Cash on delivery whic h ensures safety and also that they actually deliver so I do not see the kerry delivery boy wearing my new tshirt.

Edited by harrry

I used MC to buy a 1200 item on the basis I could charge back if anything went wrong. It did! The 1200 went up to 3500plus when it hits Thai Customs. Didn't realize the item came from outside Thailand even though the supplier had a Bangkok address! Raised a dispute with MC who did the charge back. Then a avalanche of communications with  MC the supplier, the suppliers debt collector and courier involving Cincinnati, Los Angeles, Dorset, Duseldorf and Bangkok invoving requests for import and export licences and doctors certificates making a case for an item I didn't even order. In the end although I never received the item I restored the 1200 payment just to stop the barrage of e mails asking the same questions again and again. Finally found the same item in N Pattaya. Never again will I order through a website that is merely a channel to a supplier outside of Thailand. MC charge back did work but not worth the hassle. Global market place- rubbish! Always buy the item direct from the supplier ignoring intermediarys and always buy local.

2 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

I used MC to buy a 1200 item on the basis I could charge back if anything went wrong. It did! The 1200 went up to 3500plus when it hits Thai Customs. Didn't realize the item came from outside Thailand even though the supplier had a Bangkok address! Raised a dispute with MC who did the charge back. Then a avalanche of communications with  MC the supplier, the suppliers debt collector and courier involving Cincinnati, Los Angeles, Dorset, Duseldorf and Bangkok invoving requests for import and export licences and doctors certificates making a case for an item I didn't even order. In the end although I never received the item I restored the 1200 payment just to stop the barrage of e mails asking the same questions again and again. Finally found the same item in N Pattaya. Never again will I order through a website that is merely a channel to a supplier outside of Thailand. MC charge back did work but not worth the hassle. Global market place- rubbish! Always buy the item direct from the supplier ignoring intermediarys and always buy local.

Did you contact lazada who specificly say you do not have to pay customs and if asked contact them imediately.  If it is a medical item you will need to get a permissin to import from the health department which will need a doctors letter saying you need it for your own use.

I wouldn't hesitate for one second paying by credit card.  I pay everything on Lazada (and AliExpress) by credit card simply for buyer protection.  I've only had to request help from my credit card provider once and it was handled without issues and promptly.

What's more, I think that the merchants are not even involved in the credit card transaction and it is handled by Lazada so concerns about fraudulent use of your credit card number seems remote.

With a bank transfer, you have to rely totally on Lazada to resolve any issue you have with a merchant.  Lazada is usually excellent at doing this and usually will take the side of the buyer over the seller...BUT a credit card is a more comfortable way to go IMO.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I wouldn't hesitate for one second paying by credit card.  I pay everything on Lazada (and AliExpress) by credit card simply for buyer protection.  I've only had to request help from my credit card provider once and it was handled without issues and promptly.

What's more, I think that the merchants are not even involved in the credit card transaction and it is handled by Lazada so concerns about fraudulent use of your credit card number seems remote.

With a bank transfer, you have to rely totally on Lazada to resolve any issue you have with a merchant.  Lazada is usually excellent at doing this and usually will take the side of the buyer over the seller...BUT a credit card is a more comfortable way to go IMO.

This actually makes a lot of sense, adding an extra layer of protection never hurt.

10 minutes ago, Crossy said:

This actually makes a lot of sense, adding an extra layer of protection never hurt.

That's my view precisely; Lazada's support for buyer's and their oversight of unscrupulous merchants is every bit as good as Amazon's, and in certain ways I think it's even better becuase of how accessible they are by phone.  Adding credit card support on top of that is just like having an insurance policy to boot ????

Edited by WaveHunter

4 minutes ago, phetphet said:

whichever method you use. Why not split it into two or even three separate orders? Might cost a little more in postage, but may mitigate any losses if the order doesn't arrive.

The equipment in question might not like that much ???? (no, it's not a large screen TV)

But I see where you're coming from and it makes sense.

Unless it is something, which cannot arrive broken or non-functioning, don't touch it. Alternatively get it yourself and pay cash AFTER you checked the condition/function of whatever you're buying - me thinks! 

Lazada, like all other online platforms, are shopping facilities on which I purchase stuff which may not arrive and it would not make a hell of a difference; 65K is a lot of money - in my humble irrelevant opinion - and too much to just be written off in case the deal of the century turns out to be not the deal of the century! Your call .....

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

Less available and overpriced in the Thai retail environment.

I have used the seller(s) in question before with no issues I'm just determining which is the safer of the payment routes. Both are equally convenient.

Crossy,

Should something be amiss ( for any reason ) with this large order and payout, I believe you have some kind of guarantee with a Credit Card, that your Money can be refunded to you.

• Like 1

Credit card every time . You get better reception from Lazada in the event of a problem as the credit card company will protect your consumer rights and cancel the transaction if the seller or provider are at fault..Pay cash by bank transfer leaves you with less options .I have bought high end goods from Lazada and always use my Thai credit card especially now the Lazada wallet is not available to foreigners

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

There is definitely a "dispute a charge" facility (Citi Thailand) but I've never actually had to use it. Which is of course why I'm posting here hopefully for someone with actual experience with a Thai based card.

I have used the " dispute " facility twice, not with Citi but with KTC. and I might add, won both times and been pleased with the service received.

I would definitely go the card route. Bank transfer, you haven't a leg to stand on.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 1

I have dealt with LAZADA for years [including a big screen TV] and never had any significant issues. I did get a bit miffed with them when we couldn't use the wallet and started looking at SHOPEE more. Although the search function is not very English friendly, neither company are good with the accuracy of their search functions, I have found some benefits: 1. Prices can often be lower 2. Shipping costs are usually lower 3. Even though you pay when submitting the order, the funds are not released to the seller until after you have received and checked the goods. As for payment on LAZADA --- looks like all the options have already been addressed.

FWIW from my experience it appears that the sellers [maybe not the big companies] have very little input, other than packaging the goods ready for despatch. Shipping and payments are handled directly by the two portals. With LAZADA you can't choose the delivery agent. With SHOPEE you used to get a choice but now it usually is 'standard delivery'. I've found on average that SHOPEE sellers despatch quicker than LAZADA sellers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, thailandusauk said:

is there any credit card that doesn't allow chargeback ?!

In reality probably not, but there's lots of anecdotal "evidence" that Thai cards give less protection than our home country cards do.

Hence this thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

The equipment in question might not like that much ???? (no, it's not a large screen TV)

But I see where you're coming from and it makes sense.

Crossy, is it the batteries? last time you discussed?

The merchant i recent bought i payed by bank transfer.

Before i transfer the money, he send me his id, etcetera, so this one you can trust.

• Like 1

Just now, redwood1 said:

Is this true about farang get to use the wallet now? or not?

Foreigners get full wallet functionality once it's "activated", a task which goes fine for some and gives major headaches for others.

• Like 1

If I need to buy something that isn't available locally, then I will look online. If it cannot be bought via COD, then I don't order, simple as that. I'd rather travel to Bangkok, have a mini holiday and buy what I need in person. Having to deal with multiple emails, phone calls and potentially months of hassle just isn't worth it at my age. I have bought several things online via COD that never turned up at all, so thank goodness I didn't pay up front.

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

Totally agree. Clicking TWICE on something is a real PITA.   LOL

My desktop PC has 32GB of RAM because I clicked twice ???? 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

My desktop PC has 32GB of RAM because I clicked twice ???? 

I've considered upgrading my ram, but I have software on my PC that monitors my memory usage. I have 8GB and have never gone over 94% usage, so for now, it would be a waste of money.

23 hours ago, Tmoney said:

Personally I would never again pay by credit card. Subsequent to a purchase on Lazada my UK credit card was fraudulently used (twice). Fortunately the bank spotted the problem and I was never charged with the amounts, of course that card was then cancelled which caused problems for me getting a new one back here in Thailand.

I now use the pay by 7/11 facility (in cash) which is problem free and costs only a few extra baht to pay by this means.

Yes - I had the same issue after using my credit card on Lazada.  My card was used to buy gold at several Bangkok gold shops.  Fortunately the Thai credit card company cancelled the amount from my card after a brief investigation.

Never used my card again on Lazada after that.

The benefit of using the credit card was the cashback points system, as payment protection seems to be US/Europe only?

11 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Yes - I had the same issue after using my credit card on Lazada.  My card was used to buy gold at several Bangkok gold shops.  Fortunately the Thai credit card company cancelled the amount from my card after a brief investigation.

Never used my card again on Lazada after that.

The benefit of using the credit card was the cashback points system, as payment protection seems to be US/Europe only?

Not to get into an argument or anything but I doubt that your card was compromised by your Lazada purchase since Lazada itself securely handles all credit card transactions, not the merchant. 

I guess it could have been a dishonest Lazada employee that somehow bypassed the security but that seems highly unlikely considering how secure credit card processing is handled by large companies such as Lazada.

Regardless, your credit card company protected you, so no harm done.  The whole point of using a credit card for online purchases is NOT cashback points, but protection.  The vast online marketplace today would not exist if it were not for the ability to safely use credit cards.

To use something other than a credit card for online purchases is like having sex with a stranger without using a condom LOL!

Edited by WaveHunter

2 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

For something of so high cost, cannot you go to the Supplier direct if in Thailand and before paying in any way, inspect the goods!

In pre-covid times possibly, although a 500km drive in each direction isn't necessarily an enjoyable experience.