Pay for costly Lazada order by credit card or bank transfer?

Crossy

Just now, Pottinger said:

Actually no; if you read the thread from the beginning you will see the discussion was initially about the merits or otherwise of using different Thai payment methods.

It was at the beginning but you responded to a quote regarding Section 75 which covers UK credit cards NOT Thai ones!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pottinger said:

That may be so, but try as a foreigner winning a dispute with a bank; as in so many things, the practice in Thailand is very often different from the theory.

With Section 75 being a UK law it would be dealt with in the UK and any case would be against Visa, Mastercard or Amex as the payment service provider.

Chargeback is also against the provider and the most difficult bit would be knowing what form to ask for in the bank, and finding a bank employee who knows where they're kept.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, treetops said:

With Section 75 being a UK law it would be dealt with in the UK and any case would be against Visa, Mastercard or Amex as the payment service provider.

Chargeback is also against the provider and the most difficult bit would be knowing what form to ask for in the bank, and finding a bank employee who knows where they're kept.

From what I have heard about friends here doing chargebacks against Thai businesses with UK credit cards, in most cases the business doesn't respond to the query from the credit card company so it almost always rules in the card holders favour.

My understanding is that Thai credit card providers don't offer this chargeback scheme that is in any way comparable to providers in Western nations.

If you are the holder of a Thai credit card, and expect the same service that you'd get from Visa or Mastercard, I think you'd be disappointed.

Just go and buy your goods in person, in cash, even if it means driving to the next town. Ordering goods online in Thailand is like Russian roulette, and if you get stiffed, there's not much you can do about it. Hell, I'd never even put my credit card details in to a Thai website at all. Asking for trouble.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

for such expensive order you should use Cash On Delivery only! Getting moneyback on Lazada is huge PITA! If something is wrong with the item purchased you with a high probability won't be able to get any moneyback, only a 65k Lazada voucher which is usable from your account only (so you can't sell the voucher, and will have to spend 65k on extra shít).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, treetops said:

Although the Equifax link I provide talks about a form, that is now, outdated and the major UK banks/Credit Card companies have an automated claim system.   In the case of obvious fraud (to the Bank's/CC Company eyes) they will reimburse/stop payment first and then investigate and if they find you at fault try and recover from you!.

Just now, fdsa said:

for such expensive order you should use Cash On Delivery only! Getting moneyback on Lazada is huge PITA! If something is wrong with the item purchased you with a high probability won't be able to get any moneyback, only a 65k Lazada voucher which is usable from your account only (so you can't sell the voucher, and will have to spend 65k on extra shít).

COD is no use if the item either does not work after you unpack it or breaks during warranty.  The delivery guys do not wait for you to test it.  They want cash quick so they can meet their delivery targets,

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fangless said:

COD is no use if the item either does not work after you unpack it or breaks during warranty.  The delivery guys do not wait for you to test it.  They want cash quick so they can meet their delivery targets,

Agreed. But at least with COD, you know you're getting something delivered. And the only time I ordered something over 1000 baht, I made the guy wait while I opened it, which took 10 seconds and I gave him a 20 baht tip. If you front the money by bank transfer, they can just not bother to send anything and the money is gone.

Edited by BenDeCosta

4 minutes ago, fangless said:

Although the Equifax link I provide talks about a form, that is now, outdated and the major UK banks/Credit Card companies have an automated claim system.   In the case of obvious fraud (to the Bank's/CC Company eyes) they will reimburse/stop payment first and then investigate and if they find you at fault try and recover from you!.

I was thinking for the OPs initial option of a Thai bank card where paperwork is still required AIUI for a chargeback.  The name of the form escapes me but has been mentioned on here before and often seems "difficult" to locate without the correct name.

• Like 2

One quick caveat over chargeback/Section 75.

Section 75 only works if you are claiming directly with the supplier and not a third party.  I believe LAZMALL counts as a direct supplier but not other forms of Lazada supply.  For chargeback you will need to read the T&C,s of the CC agreement for the country/bank issuer.

Edited by fangless
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, treetops said:

I was thinking for the OPs initial option of a Thai bank card where paperwork is still required AIUI for a chargeback.  The name of the form escapes me but has been mentioned on here before and often seems "difficult" to locate without the correct name.

I agree.  I would hate to do it with a Thai Bank.    I can only refer to my OK working in Banks there.

PS; Try getting your withholding tax back,  It is fun but doable!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fangless said:

I agree.  I would hate to do it with a Thai Bank.    I can only refer to my OK working in Banks there.

PS; Try getting your withholding tax back,  It is fun but doable!

Doing anything with a Thai bank is like pulling teeth. I had to wait 45 minutes for a statement last time I was renewing my marriage extension. In Scotland it would have taken maybe ten seconds. And they wanted see my passport, and they charged me for it.

Edited by BenDeCosta
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Less available and overpriced in the Thai retail environment.

I have used the seller(s) in question before with no issues I'm just determining which is the safer of the payment routes. Both are equally convenient.

I kinda trust Lazada.

I've paid 5000 or more before with Lazada and always with my UK credit card and had no problem.

One item I ordered with them was 7,600 and the supplier had a problem and Lazada cancelled the order and refunded me the full baht amount.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I kinda trust Lazada.

I've paid 5000 or more before with Lazada and always with my UK credit card and had no problem.

One item I ordered with them was 7,600 and the supplier had a problem and Lazada cancelled the order and refunded me the full baht amount.

You got lucky.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I kinda trust Lazada.

Same here. 

I have used them for many years and last year I bought a failed item (HDD) on my UK CC and they refunded the money direct to the card within a few days.  I have had a few small cheap items that were cr$p but not worth bothering about.

I have never had to dispute.  The comments above re Chargeback/Section 75 are regarding refund disputes which I have never had to initiate with Lazada

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fangless said:

Same here. 

I have used them for many years and last year I bought a failed item (HDD) on my UK CC and they refunded the money direct to the card within a few days.  I have had a few small cheap items that were cr$p but not worth bothering about.

I have never had to dispute.  The comments above re Chargeback/Section 75 are regarding refund disputes which I have never had to initiate with Lazada

Same here problem free both COD pre Covid and via Mastercard since.

Kerry called to say one item damaged in transit vendor refunded in full within days then  re ordered and no problem.Far superior to parent AliExpress where refunds took forever

• Thanks 1

Allow me to add my question, as I was just considering buying something from Shopee for 5000 Baht.

COD no option, so I could use my Kbank webshopping card, which I think is actually a debit card.

Very much doubt that the card has a charge back, but anyone has experience what this is worth, in case the goods don't arrive?

image.png.d1d470558a2c559c36a9c2b9c9045fe4.png

11 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

If something goes wrong and you need a refund, it's generally easier if you pay with credit card. Else you might get refund to Lazada Wallet... not very useful for foreigner.

Lazada wallet, as well as Shopee wallet, are now accessible by foreigners.

Have had few refunds to both wallets, and can withdraw to your account with a simple click.

With Shopee it goes automatically 4 days after the funds are in the wallet

If I were you I would read, re-read and make sure the item you are paying for is exactly what you are wanting.  Reason  being is i have ordered electronics that didnt turn out to be what I wanted.  I have bought beddings products that the advertised product would change just before The item would arrive.  Shirts that are described to be international  sizes often are incorrect.   Often products labled as genuine (like Polo shrts by Ralph Lauren) turn out to be generic and fake.  You should take screen shots of each product item and description.   Once again make sure you are ordering and it is what you expect.   Many of the products are not genuine and much of them may originate from China.

Under no circumstances whatsoever would I order something that costly from Lazada. The only places I order big purchases from are official brand websites (e.g my latest phone (Xperia 1 II) direct from official Sony Thailand website). If I have to, I'll go buy in person, regardless of additional expenditure.

I use Lazada for small purchases but it's an online cesspit.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, fangless said:

Same here. 

I had one dispute with a electric tyre pump delivered that blew up and there no problem getting money back when returned within the specific time frame.

That said I wouldn't order a fragile expensive big screen for delivery.

If you pay with credit or debit card and there's a problem with the order that leads to either the shop or lazada issuing a refund then the refund goes directly to your card.

If you pay via bank transfer, then the refund is credited to a "lazada wallet" which, as a foreigner you can't access. You then need to go through a convoluted process of contacting support to get the refund returned to your bank or issued in a dodgy one-time-use Lazada voucher.

So I'd pay by card every time.

1 minute ago, JayClay said:

If you pay via bank transfer, then the refund is credited to a "lazada wallet" which, as a foreigner you can't access.

Actually you can now ???? 

That said "withdraw to bank" takes several working days.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

All excellent input chaps, thanks muchly.

The items in question are not easily counterfeited and probably not worth counterfeiting anyway (very low throughput although they are potentially high margin).

I could get the same items from my favourite AliExpress seller but then we have the issues with duty/VAT etc etc.

All good fun!

I use my Thai bank account debit card. The problem with Lazada is returning the goods if there's a problem. It used to be easy, but a year or two back things got much harder. I've had lengthy arguments which I've lost, on occasion. I was living on a way offshore island at the time. Online shopping was the only means of buying a lot of stuff. A risky business.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BenDeCosta said:

Agreed. But at least with COD, you know you're getting something delivered. And the only time I ordered something over 1000 baht, I made the guy wait while I opened it, which took 10 seconds and I gave him a 20 baht tip. If you front the money by bank transfer, they can just not bother to send anything and the money is gone.

happened to me - after 10 days of waiting the seller closed the order claiming "shortage of stock" (like they didn't know that they are short on stock 10 days before) and I've got a refund to Lazada Wallet. As I didn't want to bother with uploading my documents to lazada I've opted to receive the refund as a voucher, and now I'm sitting with $100 in a voucher form which I doubt I will ever use.

1 hour ago, JayClay said:

If you pay with credit or debit card and there's a problem with the order that leads to either the shop or lazada issuing a refund then the refund goes directly to your card.

If you pay via bank transfer, then the refund is credited to a "lazada wallet" which, as a foreigner you can't access. You then need to go through a convoluted process of contacting support to get the refund returned to your bank or issued in a dodgy one-time-use Lazada voucher.

do you use a Thai bank card? imho all refunds go to "lazada wallet".

• Like 1

Why not pay COD?

Personally I have had a number of issues with Lazada delivering very poor quality goods which seem to be misrepresented in pictures on the website. Obviously Lazada themselves are not liable for this....they only take the order and arrange delivery, they don't make the stuff. I cannot see myself spending much over a couple of thousand baht on their stuff. 

Overall I am less than enamoured with internet shopping generally and feel with any important purchase I would like to actually feel and touch the merchandise before buying.

On the positive side Lazada seem good with timely delivery, although I wish they would put all items bought in one single delivery instead of 6 deliveries for 6 items. 

2 minutes ago, fdsa said:

do you use a Thai bank card? imho all refunds go to "lazada wallet".

My few refunds have gone to my Thai credit card if that's what I used to pay. Otherwise wallet.

all i can say is that over the years i have bought many items and expensive ones and have never had a problem.

i have had a couple of problems with sellers, but they were handled quickly and resolved.

i try and buy from lazada when the price is right, which it usually is.

service has been great.

i am in thailand

18 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

... they refund on your wallet and since you can't recycle these funds for new purchases (for being a foreigner) you have to transfer them back to your bank account. Minor annoyance. 

Is that still true? A friend just mentioned to me that I should start using Lazada's Wallet because  foreigners now get full rights and abilities.

Edited by mahjongguy