Death of billionaires at Koh Tao: New details emerge as police carry out poolside reenactment

webfact

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Those who go in a kayak would probably want to leave their expensive toy ashore. I would.

But wouldn't you leave your phone in the room?

So many odd details; I'd expect the Son to drag Dad out and try to revive him, and why didn't he notice Mum was missing?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elkski said:

Any chance the son some how found out the cctv's were down prior to changing hotels.   Did they make the first hotel mad by not paying for the full booked stay minimums?  Renactment, was the son forced to be there.  If innocent that would be quite a dramatic process to be forced to go through again.  Would a uncharged HiSO have to do a reenactment?   Wouldn't the family lawyer fly down ASAP?  

Who owns or runs the 1st abandoned hotel?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Freigeist365 said:
3 hours ago, katana said:

In the Thai version of the Daily News story, it just says the staffer initially heard a man's voice crying out several times over a period of about 12 minutes but couldn't see who it was. It wasn't till the end of that period he finally saw the son calling out from the pool area. He ran there and saw the father lying on his back in the stair area of the pool.

Good point!

Edited by SunsetT

Just how deep was that pool?

How come the staff member heard someone shouting bit did not go down to the pool to see if they needed help?!

How come they needed directions to the pool when they were in a pool villa room????

Why did they want a hotel with a BIGGER swimming pool if they could not swim?

Why did the son leave his phone with the staff saying he was going to go boating, then not go boating bit take all that time to go and get his phone and bag back? Where was he all that time?

Why did no one see the dead mother for so long, and how were they at different ends of the pool when found?

Is it really ok to have no working CCTV around the pool when there are no staff on duty in that area?

Unless the couple were electrocuted, then all this is very suspicious of murder. 

Hope the hotel gets into trouble for negligence for not having pool CCTV working and no staff bothering to go down to see someone calling for help. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Freigeist365 said:

Two great extra points! Did the son find out about the non-working CCTVs prior to the "tragedy", and perhaps they really p#$$ed off the owners and staff of the first resort to a point where face was lost, or perhaps their new choice was a resort of an enemy clan and someone wanted to make a "statement"???

Given the gruesome murders and "accidents" happening to foreigners on that godforsaken rock in the past, one knows that on Koh Tao you could be killed for the most ridiculous reasons, i.e. looking at someone the wrong way, making someone lose face, being into a (preferably young and blonde) girl one of the island's mafia kids has already "booked", opening a business (or planning to do so) that would "interfere" with a business owned by the rock mafiosi... etc...

Perhaps the unfortunate family came not only for holiday but to do business there as well and talks turned "sour", or their plans were found to be "too intrusive and ambitious"???

Food for thought, folks, food for thought... 

Most of what you say is feasible but they werent there long enough to have any business talks go sour. If they had come to do business or buy property and it was previously known on the island that such wealthy 'foreign' business opposition was a possibility, that could be a motive to 'nip it in the bud'.

3 hours ago, impulse said:

Unless I have a very waterproof container, my phone never goes kayaking with me.  Some places that rent kayaks will provide one.  Others don't offer them.

My phone is my camera and always goes kayaking with me. I double bag it with ziplocks. Also, I never fall out of my kayak.

4 hours ago, katana said:

In the Thai version of the Daily News story, it just says the staffer initially heard a man's voice crying out several times over a period of about 12 minutes but couldn't see who it was. It wasn't till the end of that period he finally saw the son calling out from the pool area. He ran there and saw the father lying on his back in the stair area of the pool.

If I hear someone crying out for help, I would put down my phone and move towards the cries. And I'm not an employee of the hotel. I hope that it's some translation error or else the person is really a piece of ....

7 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

seems like a case of pool electrification, and the hotel management is covering it up/

Those were also my thoughts. A qualified electrician should do an inspection of the wiring of the pool area. Pool electrocutions have happened before in Thailand. 

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

I wouldn't take my valuables to the beach, or on a sit on top ocean paddler you will get wet without a dry bag for sure.

And that's my point.  It's not unusual for someone to leave their valuables behind when they're kayaking.  Nothing inherently suspicious about it.

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

My phone is my camera and always goes kayaking with me. I double bag it with ziplocks. Also, I never fall out of my kayak.

If you're kayaking in the Thai heat and you never fall in, you're doing it wrong.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Those who go in a kayak would probably want to leave their expensive toy ashore. I would.

Fortunately expensive phones are waterproof these days so absolutely no need. 

As there are so many unanswered questions in this tragedy such as no CCTV and witnesses how the hell can the police carry out any form of subjective reconstruction of events.

I have always thought crime reconstructions are purely publicity stunts in Thailand by wannabe TV star self indulgent cops.

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

People who live in Thailand are used to Songkran and water protection of their phone.

And if they really don't want to take it with them then I would guess they leave it at their home or hotel.

Details, details, details. Enough of this topic. ????

• Haha 1

Many questions here about why the son did/didnt do this and that.

For mine, i imagine most people aren't generally criminal masterminds,

but if the son had mischief in mind,

surely he would do it where they live or at least somewhere private where there are no witnesses or people wandering around.

A resort or any other public place must be the highest risk place of being caught. 

People with money, good education are not usually that stupid, at least not when it comes to dubious dealings.

• Like 2

On 6/9/2021 at 11:08 AM, ChipButty said:

Certainly strange 2 people drown in the same pool around the same time, that in it's self is unusual, would one person be able to do that? I think them Burmese had better get out of there 

The odds are about a zillion to one that they both died of natural causes in the same pool at the same time....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

From another paper it is said that Rakeshwar was still alive when he was transported to the hospital and died shortly after arriving.

Not sure if I can publish the name of the paper.

It still looks like a very sad case of lady drowning, husband tries but fails to save her from the bottom of the scuba diving area.

Husband struggles to exit the pool.

This Thaiger report confirms your comment about the father being still alive when transported to the hospital. Some additional info is also noted.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/more-details-uncovered-in-billionaire-couples-koh-tao-death 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

This Thaiger report confirms your comment about the father being still alive when transported to the hospital. Some additional info is also noted.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/more-details-uncovered-in-billionaire-couples-koh-tao-death 

For more details, go to the Thai Examiner. That is where the Thaiger got its information.

It seems to be much more accurate reporting than some of the Thai press.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

It's Koh Tao death island.

They reportedly had a row because of the state of the other hotel.

They switched,left their luggage for collection while the room was being prepared and went to the pool.

The CCTV was switched off even though it was 16:00 in the afternoon.

The son goes off and comes back the folks are dead in a pool.

Now HERE'S the thing.

The pool is tiny and the 'deep end' is about 2.5 metres.

Now ,maybe it's just me but drowning at 4pm in a pool that 2.5 metres when you're a swimmer is extremely suspicious but TWO is ludicrous.

Koh Tao Death island.

AVOID !!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Keyser Sose said:

It's Koh Tao death island.

They reportedly had a row because of the state of the other hotel.

They switched,left their luggage for collection while the room was being prepared and went to the pool.

The CCTV was switched off even though it was 16:00 in the afternoon.

The son goes off and comes back the folks are dead in a pool.

Now HERE'S the thing.

The pool is tiny and the 'deep end' is about 2.5 metres.

Now ,maybe it's just me but drowning at 4pm in a pool that 2.5 metres when you're a swimmer is extremely suspicious but TWO is ludicrous.

Koh Tao Death island.

AVOID !!!!

I am not sure what your motive is in commenting on an article that is nine months old, and where we have no new details.

Going back to the original articles (7th June) -

"the actual depth of the water at its deepest point was 3 meters and the pool had been used for diving instruction. "

Their room was not made up as the resort was not open at that point. It opened for them. Maybe that is why the CCTV was turned off.

Here is a scenario for you.

Two elderly people drinking beer (5 empty beer bottles).

Hot and so they enter the water.

Lady slips on the slope to the deep end and struggles for help. (Fully clothed? Asians often go into the water in their clothes.)

Man tries to rescue her - she is struggling and heavy.

The lady drowns, the man dies at hospital. He was alive when rescued from the pool.

Not that uncommon for an untrained rescuer to need to be rescued.

I see that you signed up so that you could make this post.

I am wondering - why?

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Thanks 2