Phuket pubs, bars to stay closed for July 1 Sandbox reopening

webfact

Clever move by our genius leaders.....I always expect bars and pubs to be open wherever I go, but not in sandboxes, so if Phuket is now officially a sandbox then I will not be expecting any alcohol to be served in restaurants or bars, so this closure ticks all the right boxes for me. I suspect the owners of 7/11 will be well pleased. Expect Phuket to be swamped with tourists in July 1st looking for directions to 7/11s.

47 minutes ago, Donaldo said:

I don't know who came up with the term "sandbox" ?  Does it mean we are to be treated like little children confined to our small and protected safe space ? It's a ridiculous word for a ridiculous initiative which will do nothing to enhance the tourist figures willing to come to Thailand, but will certainly expose the Thai authorities for what they are. I leave the word I wanted to use to the imagination.

In the world of coding we use that term as a place where you can write risky, experimental code without affecting the rest of the application so if the worst happens, it is confined to that area.    That was what I naively thought it meant in this context.   I think your suggestion is that it is a place where people are treated like children is far more accurate.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, retsdon said:

People going back into the UK need to quarantine too now. And unlike last year when it was a bit of a joke, this year there are follow up calls, checks, etc, and fines for not complying.  So that's 2 weeks to a month of restrictions surrounding the holiday at either end. And then there are the mandatory covid tests for both flights and on entry. More cost, and people jamming rods into your sinuses.

I can tell you as someone currently doing a 15 day quarantine stretch -I wouldn't go through this expensive <deleted> again even if you reversed the cost and paid it to me, never mind having to pay for the ordeal myself. Just not worth the hassle.

IMHO the insane or ignorant are the ones NOT  cancelling their holidays.

I spoke yesterday to a woman who arrived in February as she was on furlough in uk from her air hostess job , she was returning last night to the uk . She had to fill out passenger locator form for uk , negative PCR test before flying and was due to do 10 days home quarantine. But ! She said she paid £180 for a test upon return and with that she only needs do 5 days home quarantine ???????? 

So covid can not only tell the difference between oj and beer , tell the time to get you should you be out after set times , but also can tell if you have coughed up £180 so not bother you after 5 days ! ????

As for ASQ I didn’t mind it at all , time flew by and I had a great sleep every night ????????

8 hours ago, nattaya09 said:

That's ok. Hardly anyone is interested in pubs, bars and other entertainment venues when on holiday.

Give me Temples and then more Temples....

• Like 1

In Phuket, my 39 year old wife got her second shot today. I see no path to vaccination before October. I'm 71. 

Who comes to Phuket this time of year? Very few visitors historically before November. 

All this ridiculous sandbox bull. Phuket is completely unprepared for an influx of tourists. It will take months to ramp up. 

Don't come here. It's dangerous and they don't know what they're doing from one day to the next.

Don't even get me started on the morons at TAT.

This is THE worst excuse for a Governor, Phuket has ever had and believe me, that's noteworthy.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, retsdon said:

People going back into the UK need to quarantine too now. And unlike last year when it was a bit of a joke, this year there are follow up calls, checks, etc, and fines for not complying.  So that's 2 weeks to a month of restrictions surrounding the holiday at either end. And then there are the mandatory covid tests for both flights and on entry. More cost, and people jamming rods into your sinuses.

I can tell you as someone currently doing a 15 day quarantine stretch -I wouldn't go through this expensive <deleted> again even if you reversed the cost and paid it to me, never mind having to pay for the ordeal myself. Just not worth the hassle.

IMHO the insane or ignorant are the ones NOT  cancelling their holidays.

Possibly as many as 2,200 total, with Phuket and Samui combined, this summer. That leaves alot of room in the sandbox to play. 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, webfact said:

For the entertainment venues in Phuket, from a meeting of [Phuket] officials, they altogether agreed to keep the venues closed in the first period of July,

This period to be known as, "the period when no one bothered to come to Phuket ".

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

Clever move by our genius leaders.....I always expect bars and pubs to be open wherever I go, but not in sandboxes, so if Phuket is now officially a sandbox then I will not be expecting any alcohol to be served in restaurants or bars, so this closure ticks all the right boxes for me. I suspect the owners of 7/11 will be well pleased. Expect Phuket to be swamped with tourists in July 1st looking for directions to 7/11s.

If you can't see the nearest 7/11 then you probably need someone to lead you to the opticians first.  ????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Pinot said:

In Phuket, my 39 year old wife got her second shot today. I see no path to vaccination before October. I'm 71. 

Who comes to Phuket this time of year? Very few visitors historically before November. 

All this ridiculous sandbox bull. Phuket is completely unprepared for an influx of tourists. It will take months to ramp up. 

Don't come here. It's dangerous and they don't know what they're doing from one day to the next.

Don't even get me started on the morons at TAT.

This is THE worst excuse for a Governor, Phuket has ever had and believe me, that's noteworthy.  

You're probably right although I was planning on visiting as a way back to my home in Isaan but that was when it was 7 days. The plan was for my wife to meet me but we're waiting to see what actually happens first as none of this seems have been officially decided. 

I will drink beer but I can manage without but I know that's not the case for everyone.

So cut your predictions on visitors by 90% & the income generated by 95%,

Sorted.

The airlines will be cutting their flights by 80% (as they had only 40% payloads before this bombshell.

Do they not realize that there are beaches in other countries that  24 hours a day are happy to serve you a drink (& no stupid alcohol free days)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Beam me up Scotty, I've heard enough!

On another note, why should anybody expect going on holiday to have bars, restaurants, discos open, I mean it's just selfish!.....and make sure you mask up going to the beach or it's 20,000 baht fine!

Avoid the airport guys, it's going to be a busy one with all these tourists flocking in.

images.jpg

Restaurants will be opened.  Not sure about discos and don't really care about those personally.

Edited by shdmn

On 6/11/2021 at 7:25 AM, Classic Ray said:

Never thought I would see the day that Saudi Arabia became a more appealing holiday destination than Thailand. Well done General!

With the caveat that cold beer and Thai female companionship is only a causeway away in Bahrain.