Phuket pubs, bars to stay closed for July 1 Sandbox reopening

webfact

In the other thread (now closed), I commented that a fully-vaccinated friend in the UK has caught it again so the much talked about vaccine passports aren't any sort of guarantee of anything in a Covid world. It was argued by a fellow member that:

... Nobody has claimed you cannot catch Covid-19 after vaccination. It just means you won't die from it. This is why there is still a masking mandate, even for fully vaccinated individuals.

The vaccine stops one getting severe symptoms or dying but doesn't stop you from catching and spreading it again. My friend was asymptomatic so they allowed him 10-days home quarantine with his girlfriend (also vaccinated).

So a vaccine passport will simply allow 'bullet-proof and invincible' vaccinated persons (ie. from the UK) to fly all over the place and endanger the lives of those who aren't vaccinated yet (ie. in Thailand). Unless I've missed some fine print somewhere, if you can catch it again, you can spread it again, no?

The only purpose I see for any sort of proof of being fully vaccinated is it waiving the need for US$100k worth of Covid-specific insurance since it appears that in most instances, a second infection tends to be a rather benign affair.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, connda said:

I don't understand what these simpletons expect while making ludicrous rules.  Some people travel in families.  Others travel with friends.  Some travel alone with the intentions of meeting up with friends.  ???? (The way I read it this will get you arrested and paraded in front of Thai media. My friends from the US who used to come here annually traveled just like this - alone and meet up with buddies on arrival)

Scenario:
So you meet up with your unrelated friends at the pool when you arrive and then are arrested, jailed, fined, and threatened with deportation.  Worse, you dare to buy a six-pack of Leo or Chang to enjoy by the pool with your unrelated friends?  Or you are with your family and are nicked anyway with you, your family, and the kids dragged to the police station to prove that you're related?  Oh, and with 2 full cans of Leo and 4 empties which you are made to point at for the cameras wielded by Thai media.
I don't see how this manages to work given the propensity of authorities to make a media spectacle of "foreigners breaking rules." 

Are they that stupid to actually "go there" with the Machiavellian enforcement?  As another post aptly noted, it will be interesting to see what transpires in the first 2 or 3 weeks of this dog-and-pony show.  It they start arresting the few tourist that come and place them on display in the typical Thai media circus fashion - when that gets "back home" to their countries of origin all bets for tourism after July will be off.

My question - can the authoritarian rules-freaks contain themselves or will they immediately toss a spanner into the works as soon as a handful of tourists arrive and attempt to relax and simply "have fun."  Time will tell. 

These guys are ruining the Thai tourism industry for years to come, Thailand will/has become a “ no go” country for holiday makers????No longer the land of Smiles more like the land of Snarls????

Someone in the government really has their head up somewhere! Come to Thailand but under our terms only 

, maybe we should send them our bank accounts directly? Come stay in a 48 km prison and no fun allowed and if you get a false positive with no option for retest they will stick you in a deferment camp where the useless insurance you were forced to buy won't pay as you weren't treated for covid. The Military needs to let real politicians do the work.

On 6/11/2021 at 11:16 AM, MasterBaker said:

be afraid, be very afraid.... this pace already giving me a creeps, situation must be so bad if they choose to do this. who do you think will come to this island concentration camp?

Vaccinated tourists, with big money to spend on the hotels for the first 3 days. 

Then sit on the beach for a few days, then return home after completing all steps to board your flight, and then spend 14 days in quarantine at your favourite quarantine hotel, at your own expense. Drink will be available from your hotel mini bar whilst in Thailand, prices not yet available. 

This will compensate for bars being closed. 

Led light strips will be available to brighten up your room at a small rental fee. 

• Haha 1