Sandbox: 50% of foreigners cancel plans to visit Phuket

webfact

13 hours ago, Bluedan said:

I drove through Patong today, its still a ghost town but now some of the massage girls (and LB) are back 

and I have heard that their numbers are swelling on tinder ????

has been blowing up on thai friendly too...many trying to sell me vdo and cam...

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

has been blowing up on thai friendly too...many trying to sell me vdo and cam...

yes I think they just hear a rumor about opening and jump onto the Isaan - Phuket express bus

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Wonder who will be made the Scapegoat for this latest Fiasco. Someone will get the blame for no tourists, and it won't be a governor or someone in office.

What abut an unelected "PM"?

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Any guy who is in to ladyboys is not normal, no matter what country they come from.

Well I have to agree and I would even go further than that but not on this forum regarding other sexual tendencies.  Its a bit like living under Covid , what was once considered a normal lifestyle has now been turned on its head so that unusual and unnatural ways of behaviour and living is now unfortunately considered the new normal. The planet needs a re-set.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BestB said:

To be honest, a few including myself hoped and thought it was the long awaited light in the end of the tunnel.

Problem for me personally now is, if they managed to fark up Phuket July opening, what are the chances they will succeed in October Pattaya opening?

I realize most people do not even understand how hard it is to run a business as is, let alone during this madness for the past 2 years.

Go in and out of lockdowns, with no financial assistance from the government at all.

Yes can just close up, lose everything and go back to begging for food, as there are very few options left available.

I was reading AsiaNikkel report on Thai economy and they saying its by far worse than most think, and recovery by far less likely than most like to believe. and according to the article, these were words from BOT senior heads. it is a K shape economy, where most others have a V shape economy and what K shape means basically is that rich getting more wealthier while everyone else including middle class, going into poverty with household debt from memory of around 90%

Surely someone has the authority to check how much the self elected "PM" and his "government" are putting personally in their bank or offshore accounts. It would seem that Thaksin was banished for much less.

Also remember that Thaksin was voted in as PM, the self elected "PM" was not.

• Like 1

Just now, possum1931 said:

Surely someone has the authority to check how much the self elected "PM" and his "government" are putting personally in their bank or offshore accounts. It would seem that Thaksin was banished for much less.

Also remember that Thaksin was voted in as PM, the self elected "PM" was not.

Well the world centre for money laundering is the UK and its dependencies. So guess unless there is a global agreement to disclose bank accounts by nationality nothing will ever change. Why do you think most wealthy Brits, mainly Tories were so desperate to break away from Europe due to the EU's upcoming laws on offshore banking disclosures ?

• Like 2

Just now, Excel said:

Well the world centre for money laundering is the UK and its dependencies. So guess unless there is a global agreement to disclose bank accounts by nationality nothing will ever change. Why do you think most wealthy Brits, mainly Tories were so desperate to break away from Europe due to the EU's upcoming laws on offshore banking disclosures ?

Yes, you are probably right. I don't know much about these financial things, but these wealthy Brits are proper politicians with university educations and were voted in by the electorate.

Thailands unelected "PM" bullied his way into power, and has no ability to organise the running of a country. Maybe sometime in the future these things will come out, and he will get what he deserves.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

I take it that when they say the British Navy, they mean the Royal Navy. Shore leave for 14 days in Phuket? Is this what I continue to pay taxes for?

Yes, as well as helping to give lots of money abroad in overseas aid and paying for MPs second homes.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, you are probably right. I don't know much about these financial things, but these wealthy Brits are proper politicians with university educations and were voted in by the electorate.

Thailands unelected "PM" bullied his way into power, and has no ability to organise the running of a country. Maybe sometime in the future these things will come out, and he will get what he deserves.

Well when Thaksin was ejected illegally in 2006 he hit back by disclosing where the "top people" hid their money. Why because it wasclaimed by the military he was doing the same thing in the same place. The military and those that keep them in power has never forgiven them for exposing their own corruption hence the still ongoing witch hunt against him (Thaksin) and his family. I guess Thaksin thought what was good for the Goose was good for the Gander. Unfortunately the Goose here at that time hissed a lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm up near Nai Thon and the island is so very quiet. It's so beautiful in this peaceful tourist free time. I'm seeing animals (beautiful green vipers, birds, turtles close to shore and on the beaches, many more squirrels, many schools of fish near shore, and other bigger pelagic fish I've never seen before).

As to comment on the govt handling of this and that I am not privileged to be in any knowing loops so I will not comment. The notion of sandbox is fine if the is no virus circulating (and no nasty new tougher strains floating about), and certainty that those vaccinated didn't carry active transmittable virus - which as far as I know is still somewhat of an unknown. 

In the last 6 months Phuket close down more and more. The tiny inconvenience of not being able to go to certain restaurant is nothing at all to the folks who own or lease and have had to shut the doors.

Its okay for us folks with money but for the locals it's a real bummer and so, so hard on them. It's nice to be able to help out with the charity stuff going on around the island and with some of the Thai families II'd encourage all of Thai Visa folks to give to those around them e.g. go to Macro and buy some bulk goods make up a few parcels of staples and go give them to local Thais.

It's a small thing to give what amounts to a few cups of coffee each day and contributing and giving back something to a country and an island that has been so kind and giving to most of us ???????? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Wonder who will be made the Scapegoat for this latest Fiasco. Someone will get the blame for no tourists, and it won't be a governor or someone in office.

A long time ago it was decided that this wasn't a good idea, but being Thailand they wouldn't admit it it so the next best thing to an about face was to stick every obstacle in the path of anyone foolish enough to still want to visit. That's working well. Sigh of relief all around ... no one is coming . Only expats expected now... sex tourists were shown the door when they announced that no visitors would be allowed in rooms, and no  ladies flying in unvaccinated . No transit through BKK .. and no alcohol with meals and and and .put the lid on it. You would need to be a " glutton for punishment".. self flagellist or masochist to even think about it.

But there will be flag waving ceremonial nonsense on the first day rubber stamping what we already know about the collective gray matter of the government . Anutin but common sense is the order of the day. 

• Like 2

On 6/14/2021 at 4:34 AM, webfact said:

Mr Pipat said that among the first people to visit the island in July will be  sailors from the US and British navies. 

Navy sailors ? - Really ? ????

It seems, all of us, who followed and discussed the Sandbox project in the last few months, totally misunderstood it:

• It’s not for tourists !
  • It’s a revival of the R&R Rest and Recuperation program for soldiers during the Vietnam war !

????????

Edited by BernieOnTour

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Any guy who is in to ladyboys is not normal, no matter what country they come from.

All countries have them though. I really don't get the hate. I have serious doubts about the masculinity of haters. If some guy wants to present himself as a faux female and relieve a bit of sexual tension, what's the harm? A "normal" guy isn't going to be bothered one way or the other - not for me, but "hey", it all adds to the flavour of an exotic country.

Edited by nausea
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So how did they know these people have cancelled?

Are they in constant contact?

And by that point, how did they even know that people were coming to start with?

And who in their right mind books a flight, prepares to jump through all the Thai hoops, and then cancels it all a few weeks later?

Reading between the lines im guessing Thai airlines have reported there are not enough tickets sold to make it viable,

and this is the start of some desperate "face-saving" measures.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Alldar said:

Anyone can come to Phuket, visa type is not important, even visa exempt entry can come. The problem is that the sandbox is still not approved so the rules are not clear yet and it is still not possible to apply for COE.

Understood. I took the worse of the known options then and didn't wait for the unknown one. Awful food in this ASQ on Sukhumvit 11. Out tomorrow morning with four tests in 2 weeks and fully vaccinated with Pfizer a month ago. 

• Like 2

One more time , NOT A SINGLE WORD about WHERE people have to stay during the two weeks on Phuket island. We can read in many articles or official declaration , Vaccinated tourist will have to stay two weeks in phuket Island , fine but WHERE , please confirm or infirm if it will be in dedicated SHA expensives hotels . My brother was supposed to visit me he is canceling because he does understand the rational , staying at my home during the day and obliged to sleep in a hotel close from  home during the night , PLEASE can somebody explain or give accurates official info.

• Like 1