Immigration Razzia In Nirun Village Today?

Phil Conners

Anyone know what's going on? I have been told by a first hand observer that Immigration came in large numbers (40-50 Thai officers + a handful farangs in Immigration uniform) went door-to-door through the thousand rooms checking visas for all farangs found. Anyone wanting to leave the area was checked by Immigration at the exit. Anyone found without passport and valid visa was taken to IDC. Have been trying to find any news about it but so far it's all quiet.

Anyone know what's going on? Are the authorities trying to kill what little tourist interest there still are?

Edited by Phil Conners

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know what's going on? I have been told by a first hand observer that Immigration came in large numbers (40-50 Thai officers + a handful farangs in Immigration uniform) went door-to-door through the thousand rooms checking visas for all farangs found. Anyone wanting to leave the area was checked by Immigration at the exit. Anyone found without passport and valid visa was taken to IDC. Have been trying to find any news about it but so far it's all quiet.

Anyone know what's going on? Are the authorities trying to kill what little tourist interest there still are?

I have no sympathy for overstayers. Legitimate tourists, or long-stayers on proper visas need not fear immigration inspections and purges. I welcome them.

There is a criminal underclass, that reside in Thailand illegally, often mixed up in drugs, sex-crimes and other crimes that give us law abiding, decent upright folk a bad name.

A good way to clean Pattaya up is to kick out the bad eggs.

Yes, but knocking on people's doors randomly like that really is a rather a dreary situation, wouldn't you agree?

Anyway, why just not answer your door if you aren't expecting anyone? What would they do? Knock it down?

Edited by Jingthing

Yes, but knocking on people's doors randomly like that really is a rather a dreary situation, wouldn't you agree?

Anyway, why just not answer your door if you aren't expecting anyone? What would they do? Knock it down?

No, I do not agree.

Not once in nearly six years have immigration police knocked on my condo door. I just wish they had/would.

If they had, then a previous 2nd floor Middle Eastern occupant overstayer (of my condo block) would not have had the opportunity to burgle his neighbours apartments.

(He was subsequently caught and deported to Iran).

There is always a balance between security and human rights. I personally think police knocking on all foreigners doors is crossing a bad line. Bothering specific people who are suspected of specific things, that is another matter.

Edited by Jingthing

I have no sympathy for overstayers. Legitimate tourists, or long-stayers on proper visas need not fear immigration inspections and purges. I welcome them.

There is a criminal underclass, that reside in Thailand illegally, often mixed up in drugs, sex-crimes and other crimes that give us law abiding, decent upright folk a bad name.

A good way to clean Pattaya up is to kick out the bad eggs.

True, but how many of us are carrying around our passports and visa stamps? I certainly wasn't until today and have never in all the years here been asked to provide it.

Knocking on everybodys doors? Also the Thais? Checking their apartments to see if they would be hiding any farangs? Sorry but this doesn't only smell, it stinks.

First they came for the Jews ...

PS. You've been here long enough to know that the real big fish will have had plenty of notice about the raid and have skipped the area before.

Edited by Phil Conners

There is always a balance between security and human rights. I personally think police knocking on all foreigners doors is crossing a bad line. Bothering specific people who are suspected of specific things, that is another matter.

I have seen these operations going on in Pattaya now for over 12 months in various areas and have actually been asked for my passport whist I sat in a bar. Luckily I had a laminate copy which was accepted.

During that particular operation by the Police and other officials one person was arrested who was living in an apartment above a bar a few doors away.

I later found out that he was an overstayer and also wanted in Germany for child molestation and that he had absconded before the German Court hearing.

If you have nothing to fear then why be concerned? People should welcome these Police initiatives which as I understand are often carried out after information has been received that there are wanted persons or criminals residing or hiding in a particular area.

It is good to see that the community is being protected.

Could this have anything to do with upcoming political decision?

One thing is certain. In Pattaya, it is low season, so the people here now are more likely to be long stayers, and of course, out of that pool a certain percentage are here illegally.

If you have nothing to fear then why be concerned?

This is just about the most naive statement I have heard in a long time. You're talking about Thailand? Are you wearing a blindfold?

No I don`t wear blindfolds. Yes I am talking about Thailand and good luck to the Authorities in their endeavour to catch the criminal element.

People who are legal have nothing to fear.

Unless of course there has to be a scape goat…or goats

This is another load of pathetic cR8p, Pattaya is awash with crystal met, Ya ba, etc etc, Child prostitution +++++ mafia activities of ALL varieties…..None of which the police give a flyin @@@@ as it’s Thai’s.

Better to go and harass non Thai’s as it’s good newspaper fodder

Pathetic...if they don't want Non Thai's here Why not just say outright

:o

Nothing to be concerned????? Tell that to the Brit who has just been released from Prison…you know the one who was set up and wrongly convicted 17 years ago

Edited by terryp

This Thread Needs To Be Moved To A Bigger Forum For Wider Dissemination...

This is bigger news item I believe... I've not heard of any of these raids previously and I'm sorry that Pattaya Fox or someone else with prior knowledge of similar occurrences hadn't had a thread on it earlier.

This is something people should be told of and made aware of that can happen. Indeed, people don't always have the papers on them. Can you explain more about the title's name? Where is Nirun Village. Is it an apartment building or hotel? What constitutes a typical resident there?

Regarding the high number, to me, involving 50 Police Officers and "farangs"? Were they the Volunteer Farang Tourist Police? Were the Police from Imm. or City?

As to the philosophy of the situation, I'd side with the OP. There's an untold number of civil rights concerns, among them are probable cause... or the obvious lack thereof. Another one being this is, after all, Thailand and any assorted number of things at any assorted time and place can sour, even when it's not justified.

Going to IDC? What happens to those without a passport on them? Detention until the passport is presented in person? Fined? What are the numbers of foreigners that were taken there in this operation (great photo, btw buriamboy :o ) How many still remain for whatever reason?

first they came for the Jews...

Strong words... but ok, I'll buy into that. This is a strong situation... and it's fair-dinkum that strong words are used in the response to it.

I liked the response of the distinguished former Governor of New Mexico Jingthing saying don't answer the door. :D That's actually a very good point. What would they do? How far would they take it? What would Richardson the man himself do in this situation?

Edited by sriracha john

Unless of course there has to be a scape goat…or goats

Nothing to be concerned????? Tell that to the Brit who has just been released from Prison…you know the one who was set up and wrongly convicted 17 years ago

that's the thread I updated... after archived from 3 years ago. Lesson being... anything can happen here.

I liked the response of the distinguished former Governor of New Mexico Jingthing saying don't answer the door. :o That's actually a very good point. What would they do? How far would they take it? What would Richardson the man himself do in this situation?

I think some condos have master keys, but whats the point of knocking the door down if you don't know if anyone's home anyway? I don't know what Gov. Richardson would say but being a sensible man who loves civil liberties, I think he might turn down the stereo and smoke a Cuban cigar and wait out the heat.

(BTW, Gov. Bill Richardson is still the acting governor of New Mexico and possesses the best resume by far of any person in the US presidential race: congressman for several years, UN ambassador, Energy Secretary. peace and hostage release negotiator all over the world, and currently Governor.)

I'm aware of a "nirun condo" maybe that's the same one that's being referred to here. If you remember there was that unfortunate story about the young British guy who tried to mug the working girl? He stayed there and they routinely have drug busts there but mostly Thai people getting nailed. It's unpleasant for everyone but they have some really bad characters that have been lurking here illegally for years. What was it last week, the German pedophile in naklua? If landlords exericised a minimum amount of responsibility it wouldn't happen. and like libya said they usually end up burgling their neighbors and that's all we need is more stealing. maybe it's necessary.

This is just about the most naive statement I have heard in a long time. You're talking about Thailand? Are you wearing a blindfold?

No I don`t wear blindfolds. Yes I am talking about Thailand and good luck to the Authorities in their endeavour to catch the criminal element.

The cops attempting to catch the criminal element is one thing but pursuit of that goal doesn't mean anything goes. These tactics are akin to being in a police state.

It makes me laugh how people will gripe about a situation in Thailand and totally (forget ? Ignore ?) similar situations in their home countries.

So a guy who was wrongly convicted was released from Thai prison after 17 years. You mean to tell me the NO ONE in your home country was ever wrongly convicted ? In Canada in recent years there have been numerous cases of people being released after spending years in prison for crimes they apparently didn't commit.

So the authorities are doing a house-to-house search for (a specific person ? acting on a tip ?). In your home countries, have the police never set up a "drunk driving" road-block and checked drivers licences, and arrested people found to be driving without licences, or insurance, or other infractions ?

While I was working in Afghanistan in '04, I found out that the police (RCMP in Canada) raided the small community my father still lives in. Yes, they raided the WHOLE community of about 90 total residents (including kids). They used 160 police officers to do it. Ended up arresting 12 people, and confiscating about 50 weapons and 20,000 marijuana plants. Not everyone in the community was involved in the grow-ops, but the police estimated that maybe half the people living there were involved in one way or another.

Funny thing is, of all the people that were not involved in any ways, NOT ONE of them complained about the whole procedure. Nobody bitched about the early morning raid, the road-blocks, the helicopters flying overhead, the police checking ID, nothing. The people I spoke to were glad it happened, as it weeded out a lot of the less desireable (i.e. criminal) element, and made the rest of the community feel safer.

I rarely carry my passport with me when I'm in LOS. I know it's wrong, and know what the likely consequences are if I'm caught without it. I weigh that risk against the possibility of losing my passport whilst out and about on the town, and elect to keep it safe. I usually have a photo-copy on me though. :o

If the police raided my block and wanted to see my passport, no problem. I'm pretty sure that once I showed them my valid passport with a valid visa, they would carry on.

I am after all, a guest in their country.

While I was working in Afghanistan in '04, I found out that the police (RCMP in Canada) raided the small community my father still lives in. Yes, they raided the WHOLE community of about 90 total residents (including kids). They used 160 police officers to do it. Ended up arresting 12 people, and confiscating about 50 weapons and 20,000 marijuana plants. Not everyone in the community was involved in the grow-ops, but the police estimated that maybe half the people living there were involved in one way or another.

%%%%% In the above case, 13% of the residents were arrested including finding 50 weapons. Certainly a great haul.

%%%%Nirun Condo must have at least 3,000 people living there. What percentage were arrested and how many weapons were confiscated? The police need to be a little more precise in their targeting. Nirun may have some drug dealers, some car thieves, some pickpockets, etc., but that does not men that everyone in the development should be questioned.

%%%%Whomever (sing.pl.) they were looking for, I hope that they did find him/her/them and in the future, I hope that they find another way to locate the people they are looking for.

It makes me laugh how people will gripe about a situation in Thailand and totally (forget ? Ignore ?) similar situations in their home countries.

So a guy who was wrongly convicted was released from Thai prison after 17 years. You mean to tell me the NO ONE in your home country was ever wrongly convicted ? In Canada in recent years there have been numerous cases of people being released after spending years in prison for crimes they apparently didn't commit.

So the authorities are doing a house-to-house search for (a specific person ? acting on a tip ?). In your home countries, have the police never set up a "drunk driving" road-block and checked drivers licences, and arrested people found to be driving without licences, or insurance, or other infractions ?

Funny thing is, of all the people that were not involved in any ways, NOT ONE of them complained about the whole procedure. Nobody bitched about the early morning raid, the road-blocks, the helicopters flying overhead, the police checking ID, nothing. The people I spoke to were glad it happened, as it weeded out a lot of the less desireable (i.e. criminal) element, and made the rest of the community feel safer.

I rarely carry my passport with me when I'm in LOS. I know it's wrong, and know what the likely consequences are if I'm caught without it. I weigh that risk against the possibility of losing my passport whilst out and about on the town, and elect to keep it safe. I usually have a photo-copy on me though. :o

If the police raided my block and wanted to see my passport, no problem. I'm pretty sure that once I showed them my valid passport with a valid visa, they would carry on.

I am after all, a guest in their country.

That really say more about Canada than anything else. :o

Extremely rarely, i.e. around the Christmas dinner season they do alcohol tests, but that's about it. I have never heard of a blanket door-to-door search of any area, NEVER.

This Thread Needs To Be Moved To A Bigger Forum For Wider Dissemination...

Regarding the high number, to me, involving 50 Police Officers and "farangs"? Were they the Volunteer Farang Tourist Police?

Still Think This Thread Needs To Be Moved To A Bigger Forum For Wider Dissemination...

Regarding the Farang Tourist Police involved in all of this....

while wondering about their involvement on another case:

PATTAYA VOLUNTEER POLICE INDULGE IN UZBEK STING OPERATION

...The foreign undercover officers made arrangements with the four Uzbek women for sexual services at the Pattaya Inn Hotel, Soi B.J., Walking Street, South Pattaya, Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi, Rooms 203, 206 and 207. When the love making sessions were concluded, the prostitutes asked for 2,000 baht each. The undercover representatives gave a total of 8,000 baht to the women, and the police placed them under arrest.

- Pattaya Daily News

===============

so they are completely abandoning normal police protocol anywhere in the world in that case... one wonders what standard operating procedure they broke with this police state raid?

I honestly don't understand what you guys want from the local police.

It's a no win situation.

They'll be damned if they don't, and they'll be damned if they do.

Fact is this is Thailand, it's Thai law that rules here, and if the police have not been adamant in the past and possibly to tolerant towards small infringes of the law, I can understand that their patience is slowly coming to an end.

Be on the right side of the law and you have nothing to worry about.

Half of the topics on this forum are about the stupid laws and how can we circumvent them.

Enough said

cheers

onzestan

Oh come on, the standards only change for farangs, Thais can (and do) still break all those stupid laws on a daily basis without any cop raising an eyebrow.

and the farangs don't break the law? I think your feeling a bit paranoid here.

onzestan

1000/ % agree with you ! thai decide for themselfe and it's time to clean this city ....

1000/ % agree with you ! thai decide for themselfe and it's time to clean this city ....

Got to agree with Phil Connors, that statement is very naive.