What type of local fish would you recommend for making traditional style 'fish and chips'?

csaba81

On 6/16/2021 at 11:57 PM, CharlieH said:

Try the Pengasius, cheap and widely available in Big C Makro etc. Can be bought in Fillets of varying size.

https://www.makroclick.com/en/products/197719

Personally I would also recommend this one. If not mistaken it's around 100 Thb / Kg Pengasius Filets. in Makro 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

It is an ugly fish and looks like Barramundi .

Seabass is barramundi.

Barramundi is the Australian name for it. There's a push in Australia to limit the term "barramundi" to Australian wild fish or at most Australian farmed fish.

Buy it fresh in any Asian market and ask them to fillet it for you. Unfortunately you will probably still end up with some bones. Pan fried is okay but battered and deep fried the bones may pose a problem.

Garupa (groper) or Kerapa as it's called in Malaysia is magnificent but as others have said don't ruin it by deep frying it.

Have had catfish a few times. Very nice.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Personally I would also recommend this one. If not mistaken it's around 100 Thb / Kg Pengasius Filets. in Makro 

Tried and rejected... frozen pangasius from Big C... cheap as hell and looked great on the plate when fried, but one bite and we both agreed it sucked. We reluctantly finished dinner, but gave the rest of the filets away to gf's thai friends.

Still very much looking for good fryable Cod/Halibut replacement here in Phuket. I did see some Frozen cod filets at Villa Market, but I imagine quite pricy... I may be going back regardless because I'm feeling that fried fish craving coming on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, farangkinok said:

My wife uses ปลานิล (tilapia). Very delicious and it's inexpensive at Makro.

The wife and I eat a lot of Tilapia, I have heard a lot of stuff about it having the wrong kind of Omega and so forth, but I figure it's probably a lot healthier than a big juicy hamburger. I'm not sure how it would do in a batter.

4 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Also available are the loins, I prefer these as they do not have the center red meat as on the fillets, 70 b a kilo, after defrost, dry with paper towel, and my missus coats them with corn flour.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Spilornis said:

Seabass is barramundi.

Barramundi is the Australian name for it. There's a push in Australia to limit the term "barramundi" to Australian wild fish or at most Australian farmed fish.

Buy it fresh in any Asian market and ask them to fillet it for you. Unfortunately you will probably still end up with some bones. Pan fried is okay but battered and deep fried the bones may pose a problem.

Garupa (groper) or Kerapa as it's called in Malaysia is magnificent but as others have said don't ruin it by deep frying it.

Have had catfish a few times. Very nice.

My wife would never dream of buying filleted fish, either whole fish or cuts.

We regularly have the whole sea bass deep fried and no problem with bones, comes away clean. I think it is much better without the batter, but each to his own.

Deep fried sea bass fish Stock Photo - 74054640

https://www.123rf.com/photo_74054640_deep-fried-sea-bass-fish.html

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Hmmm...

Take note that most, if not all, of the cheaper frozen Pangasius contains preservatives.  Yes, preservatives and frozen. You might need to rifle through the supermarket freezers to find the slightly more expensive product that is preservative free. Perhaps at Big C Extra; don't remember exactly.

If you got to worry about preservatives then you won't be able to eat . most things one buys have some sort of Cr@p in it 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

That is exactly the problem, tastes ok, but knowing what s**t goes into them I can't bring myself to eat it. Grouper I'd say...

We can say the same for every farmed fish and seafood Thailand or Asia.

I think I am correct in saying, Songkhla lake is the worlds biggest exporter of Barramundi or Pla Krapong, they are often sold as sea bass.

Its the largest area of intensive aquaculture in the world. The fish is held in the market as a premium fish, yet it’s just another farmed fish full of processed food steroids and antibiotics.

We eat a fair bit of Barramundi, bring so close to the source its very fresh, sometimes we get wild fish, it’s ok in yellow curry or doused in fish sauce and deep fried, but I don’t rate it as a battered fish. I feel it’s a dry fish and also a waste being battered.

Shark might be nice, don’t we have that back home - it’s called rock? Which is a dog fish or some kind of small shark, or am I getting confused with conger eel.

Edited by recom273
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, digger70 said:

If you got to worry about preservatives then you won't be able to eat . most things one buys have some sort of Cr@p in it 

If you come from Oz, I might agree with you. If from the U.K. or Europe you would see it differently.

Look at a typical foodstuff from the EU or UK and you would be hard pushed to find additives unless you bought the cheapest of the cheap. Do the same for an Aussie product....

Most of the stuff I buy has no unnecessary additives. Of course in Thailand it is not always that easy to know..

For instance here the chicken is often chlorinated. That's a no-no in the U.K and Europe. Though the USA is pushing to get their chlorinated chicken in the UK, thanks to BREXIT.

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Where are the chips??!!

Without them, you are in the wrong thread. Security! Eject this man!

Yes; will nobody think of the chips?!

And none of those french fries or steak chips nonsense either...

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Don't ruin grouper with batter! Doubt you'd even find filet big enough. Red Snapper gone in thailand, maybe white.

Tilapia seems the easy choice.

I wondered what had happened to the Red Snapper, used to be the main caff/bar option and was ok. 

• Like 1

living on the coast in Australia has given me a taste for fresh fish, I find most fish in Thailand tastes pretty bad, especially  pangasius, I refuse to eat either that or tilapia. The best fish(barra) I have had was at muslim eateries in/near muslim fishing villages in the south, fish is fresh and from clean water, most of what you buy from markets etc is taken from dirty water and you can taste it, buying whole fish you can see the gills are grey not red showing they are from dirty water. Even my wife was amazed at fish & chips in oz as well as all the other seafood, she commented it was much better than thai seafood, having seafood from clean water makes a big difference. For reasonable fish in Thailand you really need to buy imported or frozen fish from overseas

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Also available are the loins, I prefer these as they do not have the center red meat as on the fillets, 70 b a kilo, after defrost, dry with paper towel, and my missus coats them with corn flour.

Is ' corn flower ' the same as they use in Japanese restaurants for Tempura?

Any French chaps on here today ? The best fish I have ever eaten came from french super markets , came in tins and I think was called  Noix St. Jaque .  Last time I went to France was about 2001 across from Plymouth . Super U I think was the super market. Every time I see shelves of tinned fish over here I look for Noix St, Jaque but certainly not available up here.

On 6/16/2021 at 11:57 PM, CharlieH said:

Try the Pengasius, cheap and widely available in Big C Makro etc. Can be bought in Fillets of varying size.

https://www.makroclick.com/en/products/197719

Have registered and only 50Ks from Phichit, now they tell me I'm outside their delivery area.

• Haha 1

Have yet to taste any fish and chips in Thailand that tastes anywhere near as good as in the UK where the fish is never frozen and is always from cold water sources around the UK such as cod haddock hake and occasionally monk fish. Restaurant fish and chips here is enough to put me off for life!

Edited by chilly07

15 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

Any French chaps on here today ? The best fish I have ever eaten came from french super markets , came in tins and I think was called  Noix St. Jaque .  Last time I went to France was about 2001 across from Plymouth . Super U I think was the super market. Every time I see shelves of tinned fish over here I look for Noix St, Jaque but certainly not available up here.

Not French but I'll help you anyway. Noix St. Jacques Is Scallop Shells.... 

21 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Have registered and only 50Ks from Phichit, now they tell me I'm outside their delivery area.

Worth checking again Possum, we were told the same, they changed it now but charge 60 baht for delivery and must be order value over 1000bt. (Makro)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Worth checking again Possum, we were told the same, they changed it now but charge 60 baht for delivery and must be order value over 1000bt. (Makro)

Thanks Charlie, that sounds fair.