What type of local fish would you recommend for making traditional style 'fish and chips'?

csaba81

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/17/2021 at 12:21 AM, recom273 said:

I’m with @CharlieH Pangasius fillets from big C are great in a beer batter.

I try to forget that they are a catfish (which I don’t eat) and that they are intensively reared, pumped full of chemicals, destroying the environment as I dip them into a bowl of home made Tatar sauce.

I am sure Pangasuis is the one we used to get in Tesco's in the UK and they called it 'Vietnamese River Cobbler' !!!!????????????????..

P.S. Just googled it. Yes it was!!

aviary-image-1624668196186.jpeg

Edited by DPKANKAN
Added info and pic
  • Like 1

I don't like the texture of pangasuis, but that is what 80% of the frozen fish my nearest Makro in Kalasin sells. It seems to be a Thai thing with fish - sell 10-15 'different' versions of the same thing, like 20 brands of tinned sardines in tomato sauce but almost impossible to find any in oil. Makro did used to have Chinese 'cod' which was quite good and cheap too with about six fillets for 150, but I haven't seen that for months. I might try tilapia.

38 minutes ago, condobrit001 said:

Although a British fish and chips lover, I must admit tht the best fish and chips ever can be found in Australia, where they use shark meat or "flake" Not sure if you can get it here. Has anyone looked for it here?

Hahahaha....no. Definitely not the best. 

• Like 1

I think flake is a lovely fish to be battered. Blue Grenadier or Hoki  is good too - much better in batter than not and cheap in Australia and freshly caught off the coast of New Zealand.  Basa is really cheap in Australia but you just worry about those Vietnamese fish farms. You are what you eat. 

You have to be careful with names. Australian Barramundi - sensational. Taiwanese Barramundi - shocker. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 11:57 PM, CharlieH said:

Try the Pangasius, cheap and widely available in Big C Makro etc. Can be bought in Fillets of varying size.

And the winner of the thread is CharlieH. By far the best tasting fish on the market and no bones. It is also sold as John Dory in posh restaurants.

Its formal scientific name is Pangasius bocourti, though it's often called basa fish or bocourti in the United States. You may also have heard basa fish referred to as river cobbler, Vietnamese cobbler, pangasius, or swai. Its flesh has a light, firm texture and a mild fish flavor similar to cod or haddock.

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 2

On 6/17/2021 at 12:09 AM, connda said:

Grouper

Nah.....grouper tastes good, but it is best in soups because the flesh is soft.

Red Snapper, or bass (the type that are silver with a small red tab behind the gills).

Tilapia is a fresh water fish. You need a sea fish for a good, tasty fish 'n' chips, close to what you get in the UK.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PeeraponW said:

Don't bother...go to Buster's for the best F & C in town....

last time i was in C M......I always ate at RED LION (FARANG OWNED).it is down a road near Royal Llanna hotel.

The fish and chips were superb, as was most of the food served......liver bacon and onions good too......

I have no idea what the fish was but batter was nice and crunchy

2 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Tilapia is a fresh water fish. You need a sea fish for a good, tasty fish 'n' chips, close to what you get in the UK.

Never had Pangasius then? By the way it's a fresh water fish.