Pub and bars appeal to government/CCSA: Let us open and serve alcohol again from July 1st

webfact

Apart from the stupid "Hi So's" bar in Thong Lor where no form of protocols had been upheld the situation was OK.

It was after the Pubs, Bars forcibly closed that things got worse & of course the Songkran travel did not help.

If you are going to close Pubs & Bars until the end of the year how about some

financial assistance as the greedy Landlords are still charging rent

6 hours ago, 2009 said:

When shopping malls are open so should pubs.

Ok, not nightclubs, I understand. But pubs at least the ones serving food.

Depends on what you consider to be food and "who" you want to eat....

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Deputy leader of the Democrat Party Prin Phannichphak in his capacity of leader of the Modern Business Group took representatives from the night entertainment industry, fitness and event organisers to beg the government and CCSA to allow them to reopen from the start of next month.

With less than a tenth of the population having only had one jab I don't think that's a good idea at the moment... especially when you think back to where this 3rd wave started.

44 minutes ago, itsari said:

Wishful thinking 

Mad-dogs Bar, which is barely a bottle throw from LKR, is open for food only. I was there last week, as were a few regulars, it was around brunch time, but I didnt see anyone getting served disguised grog, and if I did (I really didnt tho) I would not rat on them here.

If anyone knows of a CM venue thats gone rogue, please PM me, I am very fed up with the hypocrysy of all of this, and I am starting to rebel. Scroo the lot of them!

15 minutes ago, chalawaan said:

Mad-dogs Bar, which is barely a bottle throw from LKR, is open for food only. I was there last week, as were a few regulars, it was around brunch time, but I didnt see anyone getting served disguised grog, and if I did (I really didnt tho) I would not rat on them here.

If anyone knows of a CM venue thats gone rogue, please PM me, I am very fed up with the hypocrysy of all of this, and I am starting to rebel. Scroo the lot of them!

Yes I went to Mad Dog other day for a pizza. Best I could get for drink was a mango lassie. Another establishment in LK serves a delicious herbal drink. I think hops is a herb, right?

And its that establishment thats telling me bar can open on 18th.

Edited by Dazinoz

Here in udon it seems like there's still a ban on serving alcohol, but there are plenty of restaurants and bars outside city center that has been serving for weeks. However, the interest from the locals seems to be pretty dull, as I've yet to see any of the places crowded (half full at best, but mostly just 2-4 tables), despite some of them otherwise being very popular places and always overcrowded, and yes rumors here spread like wildfire. "Everyone" knows they're fully open and serving, yet not that many want to go. Its not like Thais suddenly became law-abiding citizens, not even the police are, as they're allowing them to serve alcohol, but people here, young and old, instead invite friends and family over for party, which I can hear everyday nowadays. 5, 10, 20 people... walk through the villages, there's parties everyday.

1 hour ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

I'm ready to drink up, fellas. How about you??? ????????????

Missus (bar pwner) rushed out this morning and got some staff together for general cleaning of the bars, but was on about the 21st to meet with plod..........

2 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

Missus (bar pwner) rushed out this morning and got some staff together for general cleaning of the bars, but was on about the 21st to meet with plod..........

I'm out in an Issan moo ban one hour from the changwat capital, where there's a usually busy farang bar. I popped in awhile back and they were only serving food and soft drinks. My plan's to, hopefully soon, be able to drive down, book a hotel for the weekend, and get properly sloshed while watching the Euros. ???? I suspect many are planning the same. ????

15 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

Yes, it's inherently stupid to say you can sit and eat in an establishment, but the drink you consume can't contain alcohol. I defy even TV posters to argue the logic.

I'm less bothered by that (I can drink in plenty of places - TIT) than the absurd closure of private pools and gyms. I'm seizing up through lack of exercise, which makes me more likely to catch this daft virus thingie.

Ill agree with you on pools, despite the fact chlorine kills everything how close do you generally get to people in pools? but you seriously can't understand why gyms are closed?

1 hour ago, starky said:
16 hours ago, Disparate Dan said:

Yes, it's inherently stupid to say you can sit and eat in an establishment, but the drink you consume can't contain alcohol. I defy even TV posters to argue the logic.

I'm less bothered by that (I can drink in plenty of places - TIT) than the absurd closure of private pools and gyms. I'm seizing up through lack of exercise, which makes me more likely to catch this daft virus thingie.

Ill agree with you on pools, despite the fact chlorine kills everything how close do you generally get to people in pools? but you seriously can't understand why gyms are closed?

The ‘non drinking’ is not because one or two beers with dinner poses any risk. Its because of the mentality of the person who stays longer, invites their friends and they all consume lots of booze and generally forget about any social distancing rules... 

i.e. the Booze Ban is because inhibitions and common sense are lost when ‘a lot of’ people drink.

Thats the reasoning behind the ban. Its a shame that discretion is lost in such situations.

Closing pools has never made sense - just close communal changing areas if necessary. 

Gyms: If the are not busy and people are cleaning the equipment there is no reason to close them.

Many of the restrictions seem borne of a basic ‘idea’ but lack any real common sense.

Thailand is suffering ±1500 new cases per day.. Most casing in Bangkok, a city of nearly 10 million.

The only reason a pool or gym in a moobaan or condo should be closed is if contact tracing has highlighted elevated risk. 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The ‘non drinking’ is not because one or two beers with dinner poses any risk. Its because of the mentality of the person who stays longer, invites their friends and they all consume lots of booze and generally forget about any social distancing rules... 

i.e. the Booze Ban is because inhibitions and common sense are lost when ‘a lot of’ people drink.

Thats the reasoning behind the ban. Its a shame that discretion is lost in such situations.

Closing pools has never made sense - just close communal changing areas if necessary. 

Gyms: If the are not busy and people are cleaning the equipment there is no reason to close them.

Many of the restrictions seem borne of a basic ‘idea’ but lack any real common sense.

Thailand is suffering ±1500 new cases per day.. Most casing in Bangkok, a city of nearly 10 million.

The only reason a pool or gym in a moobaan or condo should be closed is if contact tracing has highlighted elevated risk. 

Yeah gym in a mooban or condo maybe but who's responsibility to check on who has been in there, how often, which machines, and frequency of cleaning? Or do you just expect someone to go in every hour and clean every machine everyday of the week just so you can use it?

Normal gym? People breathing heavily( if they train properly) not advisable to do any cardio with a mask on multiple machines, spin bikes, treadmills etc etc all in super close proximity. Multiple people using multiple machines in short time frames or again would you just like a Thai just constantly standing by ready to clean every piece of equipment every time it gets used?

Have a bit of common sense. Here's a tip get down the park smash out some wind sprints, some burpees do some push ups and dips and chins with the bonus of getting some vitamin D from the sun and a bit of fresh air.....there were fit people long before gyms were invented.

Gyms being closed shouldn't affect your training one bit....

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Mad-dogs Bar, which is barely a bottle throw from LKR, is open for food only. I was there last week, as were a few regulars, it was around brunch time, but I didnt see anyone getting served disguised grog, and if I did (I really didnt tho) I would not rat on them here

So this tells us nothing?

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

There isn't a booze ban.    Instead of people drinking in open air, well ventilated bars where social distancing can be somewhat controlled or on a beach in the open air, people are drinking in groups in condos, in shuttered bars,  in unventilated places where people will not get caught by the police, but where the virus can spread more easily.    It is naive to think otherwise and I'm going to make a guess that everyone who has friends has done this many times since lockdown.   So the next step is to ban booze you say?   Well good luck with that and Thailands thriving black market as this only stops it being sold in 7/11 and big supermarkets.    

How's the rates of infections going since the bars were shuttered, the enforcement of couples/families wearing masks in their cars, joggers wearing masks in parks, on the beach etc?   It's not working is it?   Unless you want to close down factories, let prisoners free, close hospitals/supermarkets etc, you are going to have to accept the fact that humans can no more control a teeny tiny invisible virus once it is out of the box than Canute could control the tide.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Is it just the governments dislike of alcohol that causes them to respond whenever they can with punitive measures? 

I can dine at a restaurant whether open air or inside and consume any beverage so long as it is not alcoholic.  That makes no sense.  I and the people around me are just as much at risk if I remove my mask to consume a glass of water as I am a glass of beer. 

I can stand shoulder to shoulder next to people at the meat counter at Makro or stand in a crowded check out lane and that is ok. 

Worse yet, I can go on a crowded BTS train in Bangkok and that is OK.  

Why the demonizing of bars and pubs?  The idea that somehow that Covid is more easily spread, or that there is more likelihood of spreading Covid in a bar is certainly not proven by any factual evidence.  From a risk standpoint I would certainly choose to take my chances in a pub, particularly an open air one than inside a BTS train or the enclosed cabin of a bus, or airplane. 

Matthew Tostevin on Twitter: "Bangkok's BTS Skytrain new instructions are  to “maintain a safe distance from others”. In practice, this means roughly  0 cm but don't push too hard. At least all

I see a lot of people with masks in this photo. Do you wear a mask when inside a crowded bar? And, the current outbreak that has locked the country down was proven to have originated on bars, mostly in the Thonglor district.

17 minutes ago, brucec64 said:

I see a lot of people with masks in this photo. Do you wear a mask when inside a crowded bar? And, the current outbreak that has locked the country down was proven to have originated on bars, mostly in the Thonglor district.

But a crowded bar and having a beer/glass of wine with your food in a socially distanced pub/restaurant are 2 completely different things. 

The government's failure to see the clear and obvious difference is killing off the restaurant businesses of which there are thousands. They are already down customers due to lack of tourists and now the alcohol ban keeps a lot of the residents away. At least give these places something to work with. Throw them a crumb or something to keep them afloat. Otherwise there may be little to come back to when they finally open up in 2022.

They have to start somewhere. They can't expect to flick a light switch in 4 months time and everyone magically opens up as if nothing happened.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, brucec64 said:

yes there are a lot of people with masks.  You have a virus that needed to be contained within a top level 4 virology lab to be studies by technicians wearing haz mat suits and wearing breathing masks.  And do you really believe you would be protected from the virus either escaping from or being inhaled through one of the 10 baht masks that are sold at 7/11.

This is in the Big C extra mall. See any masks there?  However this is legal.  Also, regarding bars and restaurants, is it any less likely that Covid can be spread there if the person removes their mask to sip a diet coke, ice tea, or glass of water.  The only thing banned is alcohol not the act of removing a mask to consume a drink or eat your food. 

Bar.jpg

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 12:40 PM, Cake Monster said:

Every single Bar, Club and Night Spot should remain closed. As should any other establishment that could serve Alcohol.

Not being able to sit on a bar Stool, with some Lady hanging off your neck whilst being completely Rat Faced and trying to be funny, is not going to Kill you.

Why do you assume all people that would like to go and have a drink are sexpats that want to hang around some sleazy dive? 

3 hours ago, James105 said:

How's the rates of infections going since the bars were shuttered, the enforcement of couples/families wearing masks in their cars, joggers wearing masks in parks, on the beach etc?

Since you ask, it is much better and much reduced..... number of daily infection is flat. 

On 6/17/2021 at 12:40 PM, Cake Monster said:

Every single Bar, Club and Night Spot should remain closed. As should any other establishment that could serve Alcohol.

Not being able to sit on a bar Stool, with some Lady hanging off your neck whilst being completely Rat Faced and trying to be funny, is not going to Kill you.

You do know that the bars you describe are a tiny minority of establishments that serve alcohol right?

The places I go to are family oriented pubs and restaurants, with the occasional night out to hear a band play. No lady hanging off my neck in any of the places I go.

I think you just outed yourself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonnyF said:

But a crowded bar and having a beer/glass of wine with your food in a socially distanced pub/restaurant are 2 completely different things. 

The government's failure to see the clear and obvious difference is killing off the restaurant businesses of which there are thousands. They are already down customers due to lack of tourists and now the alcohol ban keeps a lot of the residents away. At least give these places something to work with. Throw them a crumb or something to keep them afloat. Otherwise there may be little to come back to when they finally open up in 2022.

They have to start somewhere. They can't expect to flick a light switch in 4 months time and everyone magically opens up as if nothing happened.

I completely agree with you on that. The issue the last two times they tried that is that restaurants immediately become crowded bars and no social distancing is observed.  Unfortunately, especially for the restaurants that actually follow the rules, is that the only way to control this is shut down alcohol sales.

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Since you ask, it is much better and much reduced..... number of daily infection is flat. 

How is flat "much better and much reduced".    Flat means the same, or in other words the restrictions are doing nothing other than devastating businesses for no good reason.  

Just now, James105 said:

How is flat "much better and much reduced".    Flat means the same, or in other words the restrictions are doing nothing other than devastating businesses for no good reason.  

The restrictions stopped the rapid rise.....seen up to mid May.

If you believe the action of closing Bangkok and 41 provinces, 10th April achieved nothing you have your head in the sand....

Hospitals would have been swamped.

The number of active cases is falling now.