Q? for IT nerds

jomtienisgood

1 hour ago, tonray said:

Some foreign sites limit or block traffic from overseas to protect against hacking. Maybe the case here I don't know.

BUt...I was just able to connect without any issues...so maybe problem local at your end. I would clear all cookies and try again.

Thanks all for the info; I'll try again.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Unfortunately no success, maybe their site may have blocked the access temporarily???

this website works for me and other people in this topic so the problem is on your end, possibly they blocked your whole IP subnet, or "blocked" your computer.

Try to open the website on your smartphone connected to the Wi-Fi from the same router as your computer, if it will open - then the website is blocking your computer only. Try to use another browser.

If the website will not open on Wi-Fi - then more likely the website is blocking the whole subnet of your internet provider. Try to open it on smartphone using the mobile network, not Wi-Fi.

• Like 1

Now using a Belgian VPN and all fine. Opens quickly.

So obviously some problem with Thailand IP or specific provider (3BB?).

It would be far from the first site that rejects connections from Thailand.

It's 3BB (for me).

Just did it over mobile (AIS) and it opens fine.

Edited by KhunBENQ

48 minutes ago, fdsa said:

Try to use another browser.

Firefox: endless spinning wheel.

Chrome: "Access denied".

stepstone.de gives Access denied with both browsers.

Edited by KhunBENQ

It's almost certainly because your IP address appears on some spam list that the website filters use. Unfortunately, Thai ISPs don't seem to take any action against subscribers who use their services for nefarious purposes, and when you get assigned a dynamic IP address that has previously been used for spamming, you find yourself unable to access certain websites.

3 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

It's almost certainly because your IP address appears on some spam list that the website filters use. Unfortunately, Thai ISPs don't seem to take any action against subscribers who use their services for nefarious purposes, and when you get assigned a dynamic IP address that has previously been used for spamming, you find yourself unable to access certain websites.

Thanks for info and update. VPN???

19 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Just tried using chrome, no issues straight in.

No vpn just standard TOT.

SmartSelect_20210622-165117_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for info. I can also access their main Site.The thing is I get a daily email, since about 2 years, with job offers.  When I click on any of them I get Msge ' Access Denied' ...

Stepstone mail.PNG

Access Denied.PNG

40 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

Thanks for info and update. VPN???

I'd try turning your router off for ten minutes or so to get a new IP address assigned, then see if that makes any difference first. Check your IP address before and after turning off your router to make sure you do get a different one.

I use a VPN for some sites but it's part of a package with a server slot that I rent for other reasons, so I don't have any recommendation on that score.

But now you've mentioned that you can access the main site, I'm not so sure your IP address is the issue here.

Edited by Mark1066

16 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

I'd try turning your router off for ten minutes or so to get a new IP address assigned, then see if that makes any difference first. Check your IP address before and after turning off your router to make sure you do get a different one.

I use a VPN for some sites but it's part of a package with a server slot that I rent for other reasons, so I don't have any recommendation on that score.

But now you've mentioned that you can access the main site, I'm not so sure your IP address is the issue here.

It seems very complicated for some reason. I have turned on/off numerous times both router and laptop. Also cleared cache. Nothing seems to change. I also sent en email to Stepstone and they replied they are investigating and will come back to me.

Would ' simply ' using another email be a possible solution??

the problem is more likely with your internet connection (IP address range) or browser settings (e.g. some very strict ad-blocker rules) rather than the email.

Try to use another browser or VPN.

Who is your ISP?

Like KhunBENQ my ISP is 3BB and I get access denied for the following URLs.
www.stepstone.be
www.stepstone.be/public-api/v1/job-applications/viewlet/apply/index?
I can connect to both using a VPN and after clearing my browser cache.

You experience this problem because the server administrator actively blocks IP subnets by country. If 99.999999 percent of your site's visitors are local, why expose your server to the cesspool that is the entire internet? (rhetorical question). Of course, that doesn't help the other 0.0000001 percent. No one cares. Use a VPN.

It's less likely to be related to blacklists. It's more 'complex' for a server admin to poll private blacklists. Blacklists are an email issue, not website access, that's invariably done by country.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

You experience this problem because the server administrator actively blocks IP subnets by country. If 99.999999 percent of your site's visitors are local, why expose your server to the cesspool that is the entire internet?

Using geoblocking by network administrators as a form of network security reveals their paranoia and lack of confidence in being able to properly secure a network.

9 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

You experience this problem because the server administrator actively blocks IP subnets by country. If 99.999999 percent of your site's visitors are local, why expose your server to the cesspool that is the entire internet? (rhetorical question). Of course, that doesn't help the other 0.0000001 percent. No one cares. Use a VPN.

the first part of your message is very correct, however the second one is...

9 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

It's less likely to be related to blacklists. It's more 'complex' for a server admin to poll private blacklists. Blacklists are an email issue, not website access, that's invariably done by country.

google:// what is WAF

google:// why cloudflare is showing me a captcha

google:// waf custom blacklists

Edited by fdsa

5 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Using geoblocking by network administrators as a form of network security reveals their paranoia and lack of confidence in being able to properly secure a network.

why waste server resources on millions of rogue requests when you could just block AD AF AG AI AO AQ AR AS AW AX AZ BA BB BD BF BH BI BJ BL BM BN BO BQ BR BS BT BV BW CC CD CF CG CI CK CL CM CN CO CR CU CV CW CX DJ DM DO DZ EC EG EH ER ET FJ FK FM FO GA GD GF GG GH GL GM GN GP GQ GS GT GU GW GY HM HN HT ID IN IO IQ IR JE JM JO KE KG KH KI KM KN KP KW KY LA LB LC LK LR LS LY MA MF MG MH MK ML MM MN MO MP MQ MR MS MU MV MW MX MZ NA NC NE NF NG NI NP NR NU OM PE PF PG PH PK PM PN PR PS PW PY RE RW SB SD SH SI SJ SK SL SM SN SO SR SS ST SV SX SY SZ TC TD TF TG TJ TK TL TM TN TO TR TT TV TZ UG UM UY UZ VA VC VE VG VI VN VU WF WS XK YE YT ZA ZM ZW and go away whistling?

I am confident in properly securing my servers that's why I use geoblocking as one of the measures.

17 hours ago, KeeTua said:

Who is your ISP?

Like KhunBENQ my ISP is 3BB and I get access denied for the following URLs.
www.stepstone.be
www.stepstone.be/public-api/v1/job-applications/viewlet/apply/index?
I can connect to both using a VPN and after clearing my browser cache.

3BB

9 hours ago, fdsa said:

the first part of your message is very correct, however the second one is...

google:// what is WAF

google:// why cloudflare is showing me a captcha

google:// waf custom blacklists

I don't need to Google it, I'm an IT consultant. Personally, if a website presents me with a captcha, I'll click away and never visit the site again. I despise being forced to click the boxes with a fire hydrant. This is what clueless server admins set up. Geoblocking when you don't want overseas visitors on the other hand is an entirely legitimate and reasonable practice.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly