Q? for IT nerds

jomtienisgood

if you are an web consultant then you should know that blacklists are not only an email issue, and that "Access Denied / Reference id: ..." is a typical WAF response to either bad browser settings/behavior or to IP address blacklist.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2021 at 7:58 PM, KeeTua said:

Who is your ISP?

Like KhunBENQ my ISP is 3BB and I get access denied for the following URLs.
www.stepstone.be
www.stepstone.be/public-api/v1/job-applications/viewlet/apply/index?
I can connect to both using a VPN and after clearing my browser cache.

It works just fine with CAT, 3BB is what's blocked on some level.

11 hours ago, fdsa said:

if you are an web consultant then you should know that blacklists are not only an email issue, and that "Access Denied / Reference id: ..." is a typical WAF response to either bad browser settings/behavior or to IP address blacklist.

I didn't say that it's only an email issue. I said it's 'less likely' to be related to blacklists, which are invariably compiled to prevent spam propagation. Different blacklists, different purposes, different motivations for their creation. Where I wish to control access based on country, I simply poll a country database and when a visitor is denied present them with a UNIX timestamp and a reference. I don't need some rinky dink Cloudflare account to script that.

On 6/22/2021 at 1:31 PM, Mark1066 said:

It's almost certainly because your IP address appears on some spam list that the website filters use. Unfortunately, Thai ISPs don't seem to take any action against subscribers who use their services for nefarious purposes, and when you get assigned a dynamic IP address that has previously been used for spamming, you find yourself unable to access certain websites.

So if I understand correctly the IP address is dependent on your router; So if I try the same access ,in let's say a friend's place or any Internet cafe, it should work??? 

16 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Unless you're specifically paying for one, you won't have a static IP address, so just turning your router off and on again will get you a new IP. However, if your package is on a carrier grade NAT, you might end up using the same 'public' IP and nothing will have changed.

Clear as mud right?

Translucent.... I have turned on and off both laptop and router numerous times......

43 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

I have turned on and off both laptop and router numerous times......

3BB has a specific range of IP addresses it can assign. Rebooting your router won't help since you'll just get another IP address from 3BB that will be in the range that is getting blocked.

If you connect to a router in another location you will likely get access to your sites unless the router you connect to is 3BB also then you'll get blocked again.

Your easiest solution is to use a VPN at home when you need to connect to the sites you're blocked from.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jomtienisgood said:

Translucent.... I have turned on and off both laptop and router numerous times......

It's more likely you have a carrier grade NAT IP, this is very common in Thailand now. Most ISPs will give you a public IP instead if you call to ask them. Basically with a carrier grade NAT, you are assigned an IP from the 100.64.0.0/10 IP space, and then you share a single public IP with hundreds, thousands, maybe more, of other customers. This enables ISPs to 'economise' on public IPs, which are in short supply in the IPv4 space.

Overall, the problems here in Thailand are that the entire Thailand IP space is a cesspool of malware. I can't remember the figures, but one study released some years ago suggested that more malware on zombie computers exists in Thailand than any other country, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. So, you will often find individual IPs, or entire blocks of IPs, on the various blacklists. . .

This causes all manner of problems for the casual non-technical user. Maybe one day your access to Facebook might be blocked. Another day, you might have trouble sending an email. . .

I operate our own company mailservers (among other types of servers) in our offices as I prefer to keep our hardware on site in our own server room. We have 4 separate ISPs load balanced. Previously we had static IPs, but to save costs, all 4 ISPs are just consumer grade lines. However, due to the way in which I have load balancing set up via our pfSense gateway, the effective reliability is better than a leased line. In order to deal with mail deliverability issues, we route all out outbound mail (from our mailserver) via a VPN tunnel to a static IP in a rack we have in Singapore. So, even though our mailserver is in Chiang Rai, it appears to the world that our mail is coming from a single IP in Singapore. Therefore, we can carefully manage the reputation of that single IP (the source of all our outbound emails) and we have a 100% deliverability rate.

None of this helps the OP of course, but I can tell you that Thailand's IP space is pretty much screwed. This is one of the reasons to get a static IP from your ISP (or set up something similar to what I describe above) in order to manage the reputation of IPs you have fully under your control. As I said above, this is what we used to do, but static IPs in Thailand are cost prohibitive, so I now use other lower cost means, such as renting IPs from Singapore and tunneling specific traffic via that route.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 8:47 PM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

It's more likely you have a carrier grade NAT IP, this is very common in Thailand now. Most ISPs will give you a public IP instead if you call to ask them. Basically with a carrier grade NAT, you are assigned an IP from the 100.64.0.0/10 IP space, and then you share a single public IP with hundreds, thousands, maybe more, of other customers. This enables ISPs to 'economise' on public IPs, which are in short supply in the IPv4 space.

Overall, the problems here in Thailand are that the entire Thailand IP space is a cesspool of malware. I can't remember the figures, but one study released some years ago suggested that more malware on zombie computers exists in Thailand than any other country, which wouldn't surprise me in the slightest. So, you will often find individual IPs, or entire blocks of IPs, on the various blacklists. . .

This causes all manner of problems for the casual non-technical user. Maybe one day your access to Facebook might be blocked. Another day, you might have trouble sending an email. . .

I operate our own company mailservers (among other types of servers) in our offices as I prefer to keep our hardware on site in our own server room. We have 4 separate ISPs load balanced. Previously we had static IPs, but to save costs, all 4 ISPs are just consumer grade lines. However, due to the way in which I have load balancing set up via our pfSense gateway, the effective reliability is better than a leased line. In order to deal with mail deliverability issues, we route all out outbound mail (from our mailserver) via a VPN tunnel to a static IP in a rack we have in Singapore. So, even though our mailserver is in Chiang Rai, it appears to the world that our mail is coming from a single IP in Singapore. Therefore, we can carefully manage the reputation of that single IP (the source of all our outbound emails) and we have a 100% deliverability rate.

None of this helps the OP of course, but I can tell you that Thailand's IP space is pretty much screwed. This is one of the reasons to get a static IP from your ISP (or set up something similar to what I describe above) in order to manage the reputation of IPs you have fully under your control. As I said above, this is what we used to do, but static IPs in Thailand are cost prohibitive, so I now use other lower cost means, such as renting IPs from Singapore and tunneling specific traffic via that route.

I tried a drastic solution. Changed ' provider i.e. router ' . Before 3BB, now TOT Fiber. Not saying one or the other are better, don't know but now everything works again as before. Maybe if I had just changed the router from 3BB it would have had the same result??? Just happens TOT had a promotion.... 

9 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

100Mbps up & down, Fiber optic..

Ok same as me   I wonder if you can do a little favour and log in to your router and tell me if you have a WAN ip address starting with 100.    ( no need to state the whole address if you are worried about "hackers" knowing it )

as you see in the screenshot below  I have 2  different Ip address  that means I'm behind their Carrier Grade Nat , they told me  "everyone" is  if they are on the 100/100 package ( as we are)

I'm not convinced its true though.

1890373024_crop_CGNATTOT.jpg.6aeba769120f98a4ea73b6b16515340f.jpg

haven't read all the posts but as someone earlier said some of those websites do not allow people from certain countries/providers

for example, I can't access https://www.ebgames.ca/  with 3BB Fiber

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.ebgames.ca/" on this server.

Reference #18.c71da46e.1626084216.5f48f199

but I can access it with a VPN such as the one included in Opera browser

• Like 1

20 hours ago, johng said:

Ok same as me   I wonder if you can do a little favour and log in to your router and tell me if you have a WAN ip address starting with 100.    ( no need to state the whole address if you are worried about "hackers" knowing it )

as you see in the screenshot below  I have 2  different Ip address  that means I'm behind their Carrier Grade Nat , they told me  "everyone" is  if they are on the 100/100 package ( as we are)

I'm not convinced its true though.

1890373024_crop_CGNATTOT.jpg.6aeba769120f98a4ea73b6b16515340f.jpg

I could and will if you explain me in simple terms how to ' access ' to it... I'm not an IT wizard as you probably noticed...

37 minutes ago, jomtienisgood said:

I could and will if you explain me in simple terms how to ' access ' to it

In your web browser  at the top  where it says http://  bla bla bla   open a new tab or window

and   type   192.168.1.1   and press enter

hopefully there should be the router web page and it asks for user name and password

I believe the defaults are   username = admin   and password = tot   other  possible passwords

are  admin  or your "service number"  which is printed on the top right of your bill.

Depends on what model of router they gave you as to where the WAN ip address will be shown

but is usually not buried to deep in the menus quite often shown on the first screen.