If you do not wear a helmet while using a motorbike...????????

51 minutes ago, rumak said:

Hmmmm.   Don't take life so seriously ?        I would like to send that message to the hardcore preachers on this forum.    

NOTE :   With MY daughter I was considered one of the "strict"  parents.   I watched and oversaw all that she did, and the "always be safe " crowd would be proud of me.   Tough love is IMO  a good way,  as in my case she turned out fantastic.   BUT .....    i do not preach to others how to live.   If I was like that I would never have a moments rest,  between telling people how bad their diets were or how out of shape they are or how taking pills for everything (instead of FIXING the problem) , or or or .  Not to mention how many "serious" people are on anti depressants or blood pressure medicine   or or or

Sorry,   off topic !  The point being ..... fix your own life before you tell others what to do.

And don't forget,  your bad habits will affect not only you ,  but your loved ones as well ????

Excellent post I’m sure many can relate to. 
Of course no one would surely come on here preaching  about potential impact on their families from a random not wearing a helmet unless they were a non smoking, non drinking, pill free, fitness specimen other wise that would be hypocritical. 
 I assume they are all perfect human beings doing everything they can to ensure the longevity of those loved ones and families first before trying to preach to others. 

Or maybe they just like looking outwards as it’s a lot easier to try  and control. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, mikebike said:

100% agree it is a choice. But no dude, it is not the peeps left behind or other stuff. It is the drain your choice makes on health care. U go helmetless and splatter - your responsibility for your tubes, Drs, nurses, speech therapists and ALL that shizzel - not national health care or private ins. You take the risk  - you pay the piper if you fizzel-up.

IF someone’s private health care or the NHS decided not to pay or treat someone for their choice then so be it. 
That would be their choice according to their guidelines, not yours or mine. 

Edited by Kadilo

On 6/17/2021 at 3:11 PM, worgeordie said:

I have a friend , whose wife was just popping out to 7-11 down the road, thought she did not need to wear a helmet as was only 5 mins away, and fate struck, well a pick up truck, she

had head injuries ,and 2 years later she is still been taken care of in a care home, which is costing my friend a lot of money every month, so you should always wear a helmet, EVEN if you are just popping out around the corner,

regards worgeordie 

Would like to support your post, I know of a lady mid 20's still single, just going to the market, short trip no helmet, dog ran in front of her motorbike, she fell on her face and severed facial nerves, now has severely, permanently distorted face on left hand side. Ladies if you read this think about it. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, kennw said:

Would like to support your post, I know of a lady mid 20's still single, just going to the market, short trip no helmet, dog ran in front of her motorbike, she fell on her face and severed facial nerves, now has severely, permanently distorted face on left hand side. Ladies if you read this think about it. 

How many women do you know that wear full face helmets?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

How many women do you know that wear full face helmets?

How many women do you know who read this forum <deleted>. Maybe join a gardening forum or something... it'd get you closer to those in need of your profound advice.

• Haha 2

Come on, we've all done it! After 40 years riding bikes I choose when and where to wear certain items of protection.

As for someone commenting about where this thread was first posted, it just might be the setup of the website as to how easy it is to choose where to post a thread, rather than any stupidity that caused inconvenience to those in charge. Just saying that some comments aren't always necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As someone else wrote - Please highlight how not wearing a helmet is an intelligent choice ?

There are some actions in life which are downright stupid - not wearing a helmet is one of those actions. 

everybody seems to be getting a bit over excited regarding helmets, the fact of the matter is that choosing to ride a motorcycle in Thailand is actually downright stupid in itself. The best helmets (not the ones you wear) only provide limited protection at low impacts, and only protect the head.

Seems a bit pointless to be arguing over the finer points of stupidity

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, EricTh said:

Thai people just don't take road safety seriously.

This morning I saw one Thai guy riding his motorcycle while speaking on the phone and WITHOUT any helmet on!

No wonder Thailand has the worst traffic accidents in the world.

The funny thing is that their driving license tests is quite tough.

Permit me to doubt the general Thai education curriculum includes subjects such as statistics and probability, or the concept of risk. Thais have a valid excuse for their behaviors, they simply don't know.

Foreigners have no such excuse, which is why I have little sympathy for those who choose to ignore risk, citing personal freedom.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

everybody seems to be getting a bit over excited regarding helmets, the fact of the matter is that choosing to ride a motorcycle in Thailand is actually downright stupid in itself. The best helmets (not the ones you wear) only provide limited protection at low impacts, and only protect the head.

No strong disagreement there. 
Riding a motorcycle in Thailand when / if there are other available options is not the smartest choice, but the risk is balanced by convenience. 

The other factors such as convenience and time saving and also a certain degree of necessity make the choice more reasonable,  whereas the choice not to wear a helmet is made for no other reason than the rider doesn’t want to. 

On 6/18/2021 at 2:29 AM, bobandyson said:

6 months ago I was forced off the road and took a spill doing only about 15 kph. My head hit the tarmac but luckily the helmet took the blow at the back. Received cuts and scrapes.

3 months ago my bike went from under me doing about the same speed, 15 kph. Helmet slammed against the concrete road breaking off the peak and the visor on one side. Received a broken collar bone. 101k+ in medical bills.

On both occasions the helmet probably saved me 15-20k each time in fees for head scans. 

I would suggest if you are having accidents at that speed, it may be time to consider giving up the bike.

My test for competence consists of driving my scooter at walking speed with my GF riding pillion. When the time comes I can no longer control the bike, it will be time to quit, and rely on four wheels exclusively.

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

And how - Pray tell - does he control the actions of others ?

Magic Wand ? Cast a Spell ?

Normal ? What Da F is that ?

Being aware of potential dangers. Think about other drivers doing unexpected or stupid things.....defensive driving. 

Also, knowing how to ride a motor bike properly. Has that poster completed driving tests and got the driving licence doe bikes back in his own country? So many get a bike here, never having ridden one in their own country. 

If someone is having a series of road accidents over a few weeks that is of course not normal. I am surprised you don't realise that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Yes , I do not ride motorcycles in Thailand or anywhere else.   But a bicycle on Beach Road, and smaller sois , I feel perfectly safe.  Of course if someone hit you from behind you can't control it but after 10 years never had any dangerous moments.  

I prefer to drive a car here on the main roads, did many trips BKK to Chiang Mai.  But that's  also playing with Russian Roulette if you like, and inside a car  we are like sitting ducks if a big truck decides to hit you. 

So life is a gamble, especially in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DBath said:

If I were you I would reassess ever getting on a motorbike again. You sound accident prone and at some point regardless of whether or not you decide to wear a helmet it's irrelevant. It could also be that you're riding too slowly.

Riding too slowly? I was forced off to the side of a road. I was slowing down trying to come to a complete stop and only managed to slow down to about 15 kph when I came off trying to get back onto the main road instead of hitting a parked food cart. 

The next time that I ride at 15 kph through my mooban and get close to the play area where kids obviously abound, I should speed up then should I?

Hmmmm... Having had two accidents in the space of 3 months does sound bad doesn't it? And yet the previous 31 years of riding in Thailand which included 5 years of riding 6 days a week to work on Soi Thonglor and back to my home in the north of Bangkok, plus travelling to and/or through 76 provinces out of 77, also riding along all the outermost roads along Thailand's borders and coastlines (except for Trat), not forgetting 12 years riding back in the UK..... and yet somehow I didn't have any accidents in all that time. Unbelieveable I know, and yet some people only claim they've only ever had the one accident. It goes to show that you can have accidents at any time or frequency or none at all if you're very lucky. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, bobandyson said:

Riding too slowly? I was forced off to the side of a road. I was slowing down trying to come to a complete stop and only managed to slow down to about 15 kph when I came off trying to get back onto the main road instead of hitting a parked food cart. 

The next time that I ride at 15 kph through my mooban and get close to the play area where kids obviously abound, I should speed up then should I?

Hmmmm... Having had two accidents in the space of 3 months does sound bad doesn't it? And yet the previous 31 years of riding in Thailand which included 5 years of riding 6 days a week to work on Soi Thonglor and back to my home in the north of Bangkok, plus travelling to and/or through 76 provinces out of 77, also riding along all the outermost roads along Thailand's borders and coastlines (except for Trat), not forgetting 12 years riding back in the UK..... and yet somehow I didn't have any accidents in all that time. Unbelieveable I know, and yet some people only claim they've only ever had the one accident. It goes to show that you can have accidents at any time or frequency or none at all if you're very lucky. 

Yep… the timing of the accidents being close together is just coincidental, but it does give some an opportunity to throw mud in your direction. 

I’ve never had a motorcycle accident ever. That will give some ammunition to interpret that in a strange manner and point towards some form of criticism. 

Any next ride is the ride we could have an accident. 

I’ve just made the Taxi driver pull the seatbelt stalk out from underneath the rear seat. 

When I complained that the seatbelt stalk was not there the driver responded with “Mai penrai”… 

No compromise - seat belt or no go !!! 
Roads are quiet, taxi hit 100kmh at one point. No reason not to use a seatbelt. 

It’s the same with a helmet… common sense. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Being aware of potential dangers. Think about other drivers doing unexpected or stupid things.....defensive driving. 

Also, knowing how to ride a motor bike properly. Has that poster completed driving tests and got the driving licence doe bikes back in his own country? So many get a bike here, never having ridden one in their own country. 

If someone is having a series of road accidents over a few weeks that is of course not normal. I am surprised you don't realise that. 

Most people aren’t capable of thinking one step ahead while riding a motorcycle, let alone two, nor do they bother to continuously monitor what’s behind them and make sure they’re in the best position to escape harms way in the event of the unexpected happening to them. They just get on and drive and assume everyone else on the road will drive courteously and do as they should. These people should all definitely wear helmets. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, DBath said:

Most people aren’t capable of thinking one step ahead while riding a motorcycle, let alone two, nor do they bother to continuously monitor what’s behind them and make sure they’re in the best position to escape harms way in the event of the unexpected happening to them. They just get on and drive and assume everyone else on the road will drive courteously and do as they should. These people should all definitely wear helmets. 

In their cars as well !!   55         You have posted the real necessity of what is needed to prevent getting hurt .   continuously monitor !     don't get distracted and drive (mostly) defensively .   sometimes speeding up or getting out of the way of some speed freak is also

needed.        

• Thanks 2

On 6/17/2021 at 9:11 AM, worgeordie said:

I have a friend , whose wife was just popping out to 7-11 down the road, thought she did not need to wear a helmet as was only 5 mins away, and fate struck, well a pick up truck, she

had head injuries ,and 2 years later she is still been taken care of in a care home, which is costing my friend a lot of money every month, so you should always wear a helmet, EVEN if you are just popping out around the corner,

regards worgeordie 

One of the greatest bike riders of all time (Mike Hailwood) was wiped out in similar circumstances.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bobandyson said:

Your chances of dying on a motorcycle, while riding in BKK - with a helmet, are way higher than me riding one without a helmet here in Hua Hin. And I - with my vast riding experience - would never consider riding a bike in Bangkok, period.  You'll also notice, I'm not going to say anyone who does so is 'stupid' or is a 'moron'.

Edited by DBath
  • Thanks 1