If you do not wear a helmet while using a motorbike...????????

27 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

The name calling seems to be a common theme on this thread for the non riders/non helmet wearers. 

Certain types of people like to control what others do and even how they believe they should think in line with what they believe to be correct. Control freaks. 

Failure to succeed in doing that automatically defaults to name calling. 

Maybe why many end up in Thailand where it will be easier to control their missus than back home. 

Dude, not in the least bit trying to control what you do. Have no intention of putting forth one satang towards your hospital bill GoFundMe either.

I've known at minimum three or four people to die on those things.

PS just reminded of an old friend from Cambodia now living in California. Pins in his leg and has used a cane since he's been in his late 20s. Probably being a wheelchair when he's 65.

Edited by kynikoi
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

So you are happy with people dying in motorcycle accidents ?

Says a lot about you.

Happier than if they die hitting me with their car, yes !

and yes, i also think that they just get want they want ! if you don't want to die, you do not drive a bike !

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, nahkit said:

its not just about you

Apparently it is?

45 minutes ago, nahkit said:

I've been married to the same Thai lady for over 30 years and my wife owns 4 houses, two "lock-up" stalls in a clothes market along with numerous pieces of land,

58 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

The name calling seems to be a common theme on this thread for the non riders/non helmet wearers. 

Certain types of people like to control what others do and even how they believe they should think in line with what they believe to be correct. Control freaks. 

Failure to succeed in doing that automatically defaults to name calling. 

Maybe why many end up in Thailand where it will be easier to control their missus than back home. 

The idea that discussing such on an anonymous thread means that people with an opinion like to control what others do are control freak is a daft hyperbolae....    

When people project that those who carry the opinion that 'not wearing a helmet is stupid' also moved here so they can control their missus, then all they are doing is removing all doubt as to their intelligence !!! 

The idea that those who support not wearing a helmet can make such idiotic comments goes towards conforming the correlation between ’not wearing a helmet’ and stupidity ! ????

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
53 minutes ago, nahkit said:

its not just about you

Apparently it is?

Nope, I still take care of my family, I just don't stop doing things that I like because it might "distress" them as one member here suggested.

1 hour ago, kynikoi said:

If it's hot she'll take a moto.

15 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

It's about 200m from the Sukhumvit MRT to her office building.

Here are your posts -

Maybe read them before hit the 'submit reply' button

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And she takes a motorcycle for 200m - and obviously without helmet.

No more questions.

All that energy preaching to others when even his own missus ignore his advice. Must be frustrating. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kynikoi said:
4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am sure she will tell you that she walks ever day...

No she doesn't nor do I ask her. Further, it's none of your <deleted> business.

Moreover, your false equivalency that my wife who on occasion rides a hundred meters to her office on the back of a motorcycle is somehow equivalent to some moron riding across Bangkok or worse yet tens of kilometers out in Nakon Nowhere is absolutely ludicrous.

Day drinking much?

You open it up to being peoples business when you discussed such on this thread. 

Statistically, I face the same risk of accident and injury for that specific ride at the beginning of every ride. 

If I ride once per month, or daily - at the start of each ride, for that ride alone the risk of accident is the same.

Getting on a Motorcycle taxi presents more risk than riding myself ( this is individual to all of us and how we ride ).

Additionally, and more on topic - when most people get on a motorcycle taxi they don’t wear a helmet - they are at far greater risk than riding themselves with a helmet. 

Obviously, the more riding someone does the greater risk they face. Riding across town presents greater risk than riding a few down the road. 

BUT... IF your argument is that ‘any one who rides anywhere on a motorcycle is stupid’ then any ride on the back of a motorcycle is also stupid, even more so without a helmet.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

We need a poll:

How many smoke cigarettes AND ride motorcycles

How many smoke cigarettes, ride motorcycles and do so without a helmet.

It all just seems to go so hand in hand.

OK...  go ahead and make a poll in a different thread. 

- How many smoke and don’t ride a motorcycle ?

- How many smoke and do ride a motorcycle ?

- How many don’t smoke and don’t ride a motorcycle ?

- How many don’t smoke and do ride a motorcycle ?

- How many smoke and do ride a motorcycle without a helmet ?

- How many don’t smoke and do ride a motorcycle with a helmet ?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

BUT... IF your argument is that ‘any one who rides anywhere on a motorcycle is stupid’ then any ride on the back of a motorcycle is also stupid, even more so without a helmet.

As he has posted - " people who do not wear helmets are stupid"

"My wife does not wear a helmet when riding as a passenger on a motorbike taxi"

Ergo ...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

555 - preaching is correct.

And even the audacity to say …..,”it’s none of your ********business”

If only they heeded their own advice before dishing it out to others. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

Poll #2 -

People who call other people stupid are -

A. - pot, meet kettle

B. - Sitting in front of a mirror while posting and got confused     between the monitor and the mirror

C. - Have no clue what they are actually talking about

D. - All of the Above

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Obviously, the more riding someone does the greater risk they face. Riding across town presents greater risk than riding a few down the road. 

If that is riding with a motorcycle taxi then I wouldn't agree with that.

I often saw and see the motorcycle taxis drinking alcohol in the evening - sometimes together with the BiB.

The normally don't ride with passengers for a "long" ride. But just a few hundred meter in the soi, drunk and without helmet is obviously no problem. TiT!

6 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:
6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

If that is riding with a motorcycle taxi then I wouldn't agree with that.

I often saw and see the motorcycle taxis drinking alcohol in the evening - sometimes together with the BiB.

The normally don't ride with passengers for a "long" ride. But just a few hundred meter in the soi, drunk and without helmet is obviously no problem. TiT!

Agree with you 100% - I avoid using motorcycle taxi’s as much as possible....  

I think the last time I used one about 3 years ago was when I couldn’t get a Grab-Car... waited about 30mins... I was late by then...  ended up getting a Grab-Bike down Ekammai and didn’t enjoy the journey, just a plastic bucket of a helmet...  dumb choice... next time I’ll just wait until I can get a grab car. 

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Poll #2 -

People who call other people stupid are -

A. - pot, meet kettle

B. - Sitting in front of a mirror while posting and got confused     between the monitor and the mirror

C. - Have no clue what they are actually talking about

D. - All of the Above

Someone feeling a little butt-hurt cos they don’t want to wear a helmet ???? 

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:
6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

As he has posted - " people who do not wear helmets are stupid"

"My wife does not wear a helmet when riding as a passenger on a motorbike taxi"

Ergo ...

I was only offered a crappy plastic helmet the last time I went on the back of a Moto-taxi.

I made a stupid choice instead of just waiting longer for a Grab-car / Grab-Taxi. 

Edited by richard_smith237

On 6/17/2021 at 3:12 PM, jvs said:

Looking around i see them all wear a mask,yes i know,almost funny.

I was looking at this yesterday (Buriram). About 90% were EITHER: wearing a mask, OR: wearing a helmet with the visor down. I'm not sure what to make of that, as out in the sticks, few wear a helmet, most are masked. 

People walking or working don't have a mask.

Better not to think too much.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 12:48 PM, thvima said:

not mandatory in the UK ?!

In the late 60s, early 70s not mandatory no

but always wore one, just like i used to wear seat belt in cars, before they became mandatory 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

In the late 60s, early 70s not mandatory no

but always wore one, just like i used to wear seat belt in cars, before they became mandatory 

I sat my son rear facing in his child seat for the first 3.5 years... not mandatory in Thailand to have a child seat at all, no mandatory in the UK to seat a child rear-facing.

Research has shown that rear facing is the safest option for an infant due to their ‘head to body weight ratio’ at least until they are old enough to be ‘too large’ for rear facing child seats.

Son goes on my Motorcycle for a bit of fun to the Pool (inside our Moobaan) he wears his bicycle helmet. 

Son has never been on a motorcycle outside of the moo-baan, nor will he. There is no need (we have car)

Wife went down the road with me once, to quickly collect something. She will never go on the main road on a motorcycle, never wants to, there’s no need (we have a car and there is also Grab).

I use a motorcycle regularly, I gear-up if hitting a main road (sukhumivit, Rama IV, Petchaburi etc). I only ride my motorcycle if I need to (i.e. to get something etc) and to be quicker than traffic. 

I want to ride for ‘fun’ but see that as pointless given the risks - thus the risk of riding is balanced vs the necessity and convenience to ride without getting neurotic about it. 

11 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I want to ride for ‘fun’ but see that as pointless given the risk

Which is the risk as you see it.

I returned today from a pointless ride thru the countryside, up and down the mountains, lunch in a little Mom and Pop

Lots of fun

This is the risk as I see it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Which is the risk as you see it.

I returned today from a pointless ride thru the countryside, up and down the mountains, lunch in a little Mom and Pop

Lots of fun

This is the risk as I see it

Countryside is a little different....  the enjoyment vs risk factor is somewhat different when splitting traffic in central Bangkok.

If I want to ‘enjoy a ride’ I’d need to travel at least an hour out of Bangkok to get on to quieter and somewhat enjoyable roads. 

I would like to do what you have just done - but its not really feasible in Bangkok, the motorbike is nothing more than a convenience... its still enjoyable to ride, but not so much so I’d go and ride for the sake of it.