If you do not wear a helmet while using a motorbike...????????

4 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

Tough and smart? As my mother used to say "I've heard ducks fart before!"

Well now, there is a difference between just smart and tough and street smart. Were you one of those sheltered lads?

• Sad 1

Bottom right hand graphic 'helmet on scooter'.

now this one well, several in my outer circle Thai family, standard attitude:

'But it's ok, I have my helmet on the bike/scooter and I'll put it on when I'm going to have an accident!'

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, kennw said:

Would like to support your post, I know of a lady mid 20's still single, just going to the market, short trip no helmet, dog ran in front of her motorbike, she fell on her face and severed facial nerves, now has severely, permanently distorted face on left hand side. Ladies if you read this think about it. 

And  dog  feeders  THINK about this before you go "making merit"

4 hours ago, DBath said:

Well now, there is a difference between just smart and tough and street smart. Were you one of those sheltered lads?

We didn't know smart and tough in the 1950s. And even if we were, we would never brag about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the interest of leeping this thread alive ...

Going to finish this bottle of whiskey. Do a couple rails. Twist a couple spliffs

Slide into my flip flops, no shirt, put on my baseball hat - backwards of course.

Off to town I go, at excessive speed, weaving around the traffic, ignoring stop signs and red lights.

While keeping my fone on and ready to go.

Oh yea, almost forgot - my future so bright I gotta wear shades

Come on keyboard warriors, non riders, those with a dull axe, or those with Nuttin' to do ...

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Lucky Bones said:

Richard, I think you have lost this discussion. Either stay in your bunkered condo/house or let others go about their daily business.

You think a discussion is about ‘winning and losing’ - that highlights a rather juvenile mindset !

Your conformation bias has clearly only paid attention to the posts in support of people not wanting to wear helmets: 

People have provided examples of those not wearing a helmet and becoming injured, permanently disfigured etc, people have also provided examples of people wearing a helmet and the helmet protected them. 

So.. I ask his this question: 

No one has provided an example of taking a spill without a helmet where they banged their head and they were fine.

I don’t use the word ’stupid’ lightly, I know it upsets sensitive minds and gets people all butt-hurt....  but if someone is riding in Thailand without a helmet I don’t see it any other way - they are stupid. 

If that comment makes one person think twice and saves them from a head injury - thats only a good thing.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

In the interest of leeping this thread alive ...

Going to finish this bottle of whiskey. Do a couple rails. Twist a couple spliffs

Slide into my flip flops, no shirt, put on my baseball hat - backwards of course.

Off to town I go, at excessive speed, weaving around the traffic, ignoring stop signs and red lights.

While keeping my fone on and ready to go.

Oh yea, almost forgot - my future so bright I gotta wear shades

Come on keyboard warriors, non riders, those with a dull axe, or those with Nuttin' to do ...

I wanna party with you

Just rode back from my local, had a few beers, rode home with shorts, flip flops, hat on backwards and sunglasses. Big bike of course.

Edited by EVENKEEL
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Always makes me laugh reading comments like the one above.????????????????

You can be the best bike rider in the world, but when a local big wig official drives the wrong way down the road and wipes you out, being a rider with vast experience counts for nothing.

Well that's true and I wouldn't try to dispute that, and I was being a little facetious - but only a little. My point was more that one would have to be a total moron to not know from simply driving around in Bangkok and observing the craziness of car and motorbike drivers there, that it is obviously more dangerous to ride a motorcycle or scooter there than it is in Hua Hin or most other smaller cities and towns anywhere.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Apart from you making up your own facts...   It would actually be interesting to see some real stats accidents / fatality rates on motorcycles by city (as a percentage of bikes)..

I ride and drive in Bangkok - in general the congestion means we can’t ride very quickly, I suspect any accident is more likely to be a bump’n’spill rather than a impact at speed. 

And what facts would those be, exactly? I'd love to see your 'facts' regarding bump and spill vs. accidents that occur with people drag racing thru the city with reckless abandoned. IMO, one would have to be a 'moron' - to loosely use your terminology - to not be able to see with your own eyes how different it is to ride in a place like Bangkok vs. Hua Hin. I don't need to see any stats to know the difference, smart boy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gandtee said:

We didn't know smart and tough in the 1950s. And even if we were, we would never brag about it.

Well, you're really showing your age now, aren't you? I'm also of grandfatherly age, but I would never brag about it. 

30 minutes ago, DBath said:

Well, you're really showing your age now, aren't you? I'm also of grandfatherly age, but I would never brag about it. 

But only about your road skills, how tough and how smart you are. That's enough for anyone.

10463905_10152088590176767_8872329699789553469_n.jpg

Edited by Gandtee
Additional words.

On 6/20/2021 at 3:15 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The consequences of riding without a helmet extend beyond the rider when an accident occurs. 

A minor accident from which one can walk away can turn into a major brain injury for a helmetless rider.....  the consequences impact those who share their life with the rider and those others involved in the accident.

helmet or not, riders have chosen their risk, that will happen sooner or later, you like it or not, I have never met anywhere in the world a rider who never had an accident. This is why I estimate myself so smart to avoid riding bikes anymore, and especially here. Those old riders are the worst, they can't see 3m ahead but they ride a bike...

• Sad 2

On 6/19/2021 at 7:07 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder if people who create signs and stupid text like that take everything so serious.

Sure, it's a good idea to wear a helmet to protect ourselves. And personally I do this most of the time.

But not all the time. Because a helmet is hot and it's a nice feeling to feel the wind without helmet.

Does that make me stupid or all those other terms mentioned above?

How many people ride bicycle without helmet? The risk is high.

How many pedestrians dare to cross any street in Thailand - and without helmet and protective clothes? Why do they do that?

And why are there people who think amulets will protect them?

This list goes on and on. Most of us are not always in the mood to protect us as much as we can. Sometimes we take a risk. That's life.

j73X3nihOWEcMCNarVv9gRdeavZwTIHHX7Jqhb1y

are these the same people telling everyone that they must get vaccinated too ????

Or is this up to the individual ?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thvima said:

helmet or not, riders have chosen their risk, that will happen sooner or later, you like it or not, I have never met anywhere in the world a rider who never had an accident. This is why I estimate myself so smart to avoid riding bikes anymore, and especially here. Those old riders are the worst, they can't see 3m ahead but they ride a bike...

went through 3 helmets back in the UK, all 3 cracked and damaged due to hitting objects, just lucky to escape any major injury

Had one truck run red light here, so T boned him, luckily at low speed. But still broke both the 2 visors hitting his door pillar. Again, head ache, sprained wrist, but ok

I NEVER ride without a helmet, even when they were not mandatory in the UK, always wore one 

But as they say, up to you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gandtee said:

But only about your road skills, how tough and how smart you are. That's enough for anyone.

10463905_10152088590176767_8872329699789553469_n.jpg

Okay, so I may have embellished a little, and while I’m not really sorry if it bothered you, perhaps you will one day wake up and realize some of what I said was in jest. I get it though, you just don’t share a sense of my kind of humor. Would it bother you less if I said I have balls the size of boulders? I know I’m neither the toughest or the smartest guy in the room, but I have been riding motorcycles since I was 8 years old (back when you were about my grandpa’s age) and have never been in an accident. I attribute this to a combination of luck, skill and lots of practice. I’m sure you and I will be friends now. ????????????

Edited by DBath
  • Haha 1