Income requirement for retirement extension

Browsing through the requirements for an extension of stay based on retirement (the Thai web site calls it Extension of Visa) I noticed a paragraph I hadn't noticed before. It seems any farang allowed to stay in the Kingdom, who arrived before (IIRC) October 11, 1998, must be over the age of 55. If under the age of 60, must be able to prove an income of no less than ฿50,000 a month, and if over age of 60 must be able to prove an income of no less than ฿20,000 a month. Does anybody know if this provision is still in effect? Those were the income requrements when I entered the Kingdom the last time in 1997. It would be a minor relief to know that as long as my pensions are over ฿20,000 I meet that requirement. Whenever the dollar weakens I fret that it will drop below my income requirement, but if the dollar drops that low it will be because the nuclear holocaust has happened and we're all gonna die.

One the requirements is that you been on continuous extension of stay since October of 1998.

From the immigration order for extensions based upon retirement.

"(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000
(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000"

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BananaGuy said:

fixed income with fluids maintained

Typo in the order or translation in a), should state 'funds', as in 800K in a Thai bank account, same as in b).

Edited by Tanoshi

21 hours ago, Acharn said:

Does anybody know if this provision is still in effect?

It is, as posted by UJ.

Just to expand on the quoted section.

and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:

That means since entering on a Non O Visa, or obtaining a Non O before Oct 21st 1998, you have continued to stay by extending your permission of stay since that date.

If you've been issued another Visa at any time since Oct 21st 1998, then you haven't consecutively been permitted to stay in Thailand.

At some point you exited without a re-entry permit, or your stay expired whilst out of the Country and you had to obtain a Non O to start the process again.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

One the requirements is that you been on continuous extension of stay since October of 1998.

From the immigration order for extensions based upon retirement.

"(6) An alien who entered the Kingdom before October 21, 1998 and has been consecutively permitted to stay in the Kingdom for retirement shall be subject to the following criteria:
(a) Must be 60 years of age or over and have an annual fixed income with fluids maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 200,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 20,000
(b) If less than 60 years of age but not less than 55 years of age, must have an annual fixed income with funds maintained in a bank account for the past three months of no less than Baht 500,000 or have a monthly income of no less than Baht 50,000"

Yep. Got that nailed. Well, that's a relief. So now if the dollar goes below the amount I need for THB 65,000 I only need to worry about starvation, not being denied another extension of stay.

Edited by Acharn
  • Like 1