Personal Possessions

I've been trying to move to Thailand since 2008 - various things have stopped me but it will happen one day.  I'm married to a Thai and will be entering on a Non O based on marriage and extending my stay every 12 months. 

I have a house full of furniture, tools I've had since I was an apprentice and all the general personal possessions one picks up through their lives. I will have  absolutely nowehere that I can leave these items and I can't part with them. I know many of you will say forget it, just buy new things in Thailand.  There will also no doubt, be those of you who fully understand why I don't want to part with my things.

When I first planned to make the move I was in a different marriage and my wife would have been allowed to import most of my stuff as her own but my new wife lives in Thailand.  I've read of people on retirement visa and married couples (one Thai) being allowed to bring their 'stuff' with them when they move to Thailand and I seem to remember someone who was moving to Thailand for work but I have no idea what the rules are for me.  I've also heard that there are shipping agents that can 'make things run smoothly' with the help of a 'donation'. I seem to remember that those that are allowed can only bring one of each item and that those items must be used.

Can anyone tell me what the actual rules are and whether or not any duties will have to be paid? Please guys, I don't need any lectures on the viability of bringing my possessions with me - I just want to know if I am eligible and if not, is there anything I can do to make it so.

There is a forum specifically that deals with this. Think one of the mods will be along to move it.

I had same issue. My guess is your tools would be issue. In the end I ditched the lot.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

I understand your challenge.

My advice is ship it soon or forget about it.

When I moved to Thailand I put lots of things in storage. At the end of the day I paid for the storage but never shipped it because shipping and possible duty would have just been too expensive.

So my advice is: ship is or sell it or give it away - don't store it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had the opposite problem; I wanted to ship my personal property to Spain.  I contacted three shipping firms in Pattaya for a quote.  I got ONE reply (no quote) asking  me to name the other companies!  Business can't be that bad in Thailand if laziness is still king.

@ubonjoe Thanks for the link Joe - can I ask what your interpretation of the following is:

- Nonresidents

(1) Nonresidents changing their residence into Thailand must be granted a non-immigrant quota as shown in their passports or Nonresident Identification Cards; or

I'm guessing that 'quota' actually means visa and in other areas of the information it talks about 1 year Non O's.  Do you think that I would have to get a 12 month extension before being able to import my goods?