COVID 19 vaccinations for British Citizens in Thailand

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

It's not going to happen because of UK government policy that overseas UK residents should make their own arrangements.As it happens, notwithstanding current uncertainties I think that's the correct decision for a country of Thailand's reasonably advanced economic/health infrastructure status.

Well, if Thailand's economic/health infrastructure status is so reasonably advanced as you say, then why is it taking so unacceptably long for a COVID vaccination programme to be rolled out here when compared to the UK?

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I'm no fan of Boris, but surely his government's duty is towards the UK, not those citizens who chose to leave (like me) and who no doubt can be found in almost every country in the world.  I think you expect too much!

So I take if that you have absolutely no objection whatsoever to the 100m+ non-British beneficiaries of Boris's Great Vaccine Giveaway being placed ahead of British nationals who choose to live in foreign parts in his government's COVID-19 Jab Stakes then, do you?

I notice that both you and @Moonloverhave conveniently omitted any references to Boris's Great Vaccine Giveaway in your replies to me to date!

Edited by OJAS
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So I take if that you have absolutely no objection whatsoever to the 100m+ non-British beneficiaries of Boris's Great Vaccine Giveaway being placed ahead of British nationals who choose to live in foreign parts in his government's COVID-19 Jab Stakes then, do you?

I notice that both you and @Moonloverhave conveniently omitted any references to Boris's Great Vaccine Giveaway in your replies to me to date!

No, I have no objection whatsoever, in fact I believe all countries with excessive vaccine supply should send them to countries that need them.  I do, however, object to the Tories cutting the overseas aid promise made in their manifesto.  But then again, I used to work for Save the Children UK, so maybe I'm biased.

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/jun/03/a-hammer-blow-how-uk-overseas-aid-cuts-affect-the-worlds-most-vulnerable

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

According to multiple reports (Thai News Reports, Richard Barrow etc) the French Embassy has announced it will be leading the way in vaccinating its elderly citizens in Thailand defined as those over 55.It will partner with various hospitals throughout Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, jayboy said:

According to multiple reports (Thai News Reports, Richard Barrow etc) the French Embassy has announced it will be leading the way in vaccinating its elderly citizens in Thailand defined as those over 55.It will partner with various hospitals throughout Thailand.

The French Ambassador has posted a message on the French Embassy Website today confirming this, whilst there is the option to return to France to receive the vaccine or to register for the Thai Goverment program, he confirms what you've picked up from Barrow.
The French are supplying the Janssen single-dose vaccine from Johnson and Johnson vaccines for French nationals over 55.
The Embassy is not actually carrying out the vaccinations, they will be carried by hospitals, with which they have made agreements, in order to respect the health protocols in force.

A date hasn't been set yet, but they will carried out in Bangkok, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Ko Samui, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, and Udon Thani

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 4:32 PM, Havenstreet1940 said:

I take issue with you concerning your last comment which is not correct insofar as I am concerned..  I registered with Mor Prom and was informed there was no vaccine available in my location - I am living in Issan - and to wait for further info.  That was when Mor prom was launched and I am still waiting!

I am going home to UK next month and will have my shots because at 83 I don't want to be hanging on any longer.

However,  I do acccept the general direction of your comments but you would do well to demonstrate a little more compassion for older folks who rightly are concerned and cannot, for whatever reason, do the same as me.

And more sympathy for those UK expats who are unable due to illness or disability to fly to the UK undergo double quarantine before returning to Thailand!

• Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 3:45 PM, Moonlover said:

One only has to read the article to see the obvious political and economic benefit to the Chinese. A captive and receptive audience of some 20,000 Chinese nationals working for Huawei Technologies (Thailand) says it all really doesn't it. And how many other Chinese are there here working on infrastructure projects? The UK has no such parallel incentive to tempt them to emulate the Chinese.

So what do you see as being the obvious political and economic benefits to the French who are making similar arrangements to the Chinese for their high-risk nationals in Thailand to be vaccinated, which do not, in your perception, exist in the case of their neighbours on the other side of the English Channel?

On 6/20/2021 at 6:31 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

I don't think you can compare the UK's elected government with the unelected, authoritarian Chinese dictatorship.

So presumably we can't, in your eyes, likewise compare the UK's elected government with the unelected, authoritarian French dictatorship either, right?

Edited by OJAS

11 hours ago, OJAS said:

So presumably we can't, in your eyes, likewise compare the UK's elected government with the unelected, authoritarian French dictatorship either, right?

Sure we can. The French government's decision is amazing and all credit to them if they pull it off. If other western countries do the same, maybe the UK (and the US) will follow. But I seriously doubt they will, as they have other priorities and no doubt believe British expats can make their own arrangements.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The programme for vaccinating French citizens has now begun in  Bangkok.The French Ambassador visited Bangkok Hospital to see how the vaccination of eligible French citizens over the age of 55 is going.It is interesting to see how the French have risen to the challenge, quick on their feet and prepared to think imaginatively.My understanding is that this initiative came initially from the Embassy which will have persuaded the Quai d'Orsay.

And the British effort to help its vulnerable citizens.The answer is blowing in the wind.Or to put it another way who's in charge of the clattering train?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

I can't speak about the UK government, but as far as the US (my) government is concerned, I have nothing but utter contempt and loathing for them. Once again the US government is more focused on buying it's friends than helping their own citizens.

The US State Department confirmed on April 20th that it has sent to each U.S. embassy sufficient vaccines to administer to all American employees. There's absolutely NO excuse why US citizens could not be included in this plan to countries where foreign nationals are put at the end of the line. If China and France can do it, then so can America which obviously has the financial means to do so. 

The American government has absolutely NO right to accuse any country of human rights violations when they willfully abandon their own citizen during a global health crisis. Speaking as a tax paying American citizen, I have every right to call my own government shameful and a global disgrace!

In a bid to win friends in the South China Sea dispute with China, the US government will vaccinate members of the South Korean Military, citizens of The Philippines (under threats from the Philippines president), Taiwan and Thailand .

Source: https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-americans-who-cant-get-vaccines-11622156230

Source : https://www.reuters.com/world/biden-says-us-will-vaccinate-south-korean-soldiers-against-covid-19-2021-05-21/

Source: https://www.france24.com/en/asia-pacific/20210619-us-triples-covid-19-vaccines-for-taiwan-with-2-5-million-dose-shipment

Source: https://asia.nikkei.com/Politics/International-relations/Duterte-threatens-to-end-US-military-pact-if-no-vaccines

Source: https://www.pacom.mil/Media/News/News-Article-View/Article/2574948/us-provides-php170-million-to-support-covid-19-vaccine-deployment-in-the-philip/

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/fact-sheet-u-s-support-for-thailand-to-beat-covid-19/

What you say about the US government also has a familiar ring to it as far as mine (UK) is concerned. Through their respective Great Vaccine Giveaways announced in advance of last weekend's G7 summit, both Joe Biden and Boris Johnson have, in effect, signalled that the very highest priority is to be accorded to ensuring that each and every person on this great planet of ours, regardless of their nationality, is vaccinated against COVID ahead of American and British expats like you and me:-

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57436535

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

The programme for vaccinating French citizens has now begun in  Bangkok.The French Ambassador visited Bangkok Hospital to see how the vaccination of eligible French citizens over the age of 55 is going.It is interesting to see how the French have risen to the challenge, quick on their feet and prepared to think imaginatively.My understanding is that this initiative came initially from the Embassy which will have persuaded the Quai d'Orsay.

And the British effort to help its vulnerable citizens.The answer is blowing in the wind.Or to put it another way who's in charge of the clattering train?

This appears to be a world-wide initiative by the French to ensure that all French citizens, no matter where located, are vaccinated by 31st August 2021. With Macron seemingly starting the ball rolling when visiting South Africa in May.

Based on the below noted article, the vaccination programme commenced there some 10 days ago and no doubt reports will come in from other countries of expats of other nations, with sufficient resources to put in place a similar roll out, being rather cheesed off with the lack of effort by their home nations. Will that make a difference to the current intransigence displayed by UK / US / etc? Unlikely, but you never know........

https://www.businessinsider.co.za/france-vaccinating-citizens-against-covid-19-in-south-africa-2021-6

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, dabhand said:

This appears to be a world-wide initiative by the French to ensure that all French citizens, no matter where located, are vaccinated by 31st August 2021. With Macron seemingly starting the ball rolling when visiting South Africa in May.

Thanks for this.I stand corrected since it is obviously a directive from Paris rather than a local initiative.Presumably there is no need for such an initiative in countries where foreigners are able to access vaccinations without difficulty.Thus for example there would no need for this in , say, the USA where foreigners can easily get vaccinated.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, petermik said:

The UK Governments vaccination program for it,s residents is highly commendable...living here now I do not expect anything more than my monthly pension to be paid out...anything else I,m man enough to sort out myself.

For all the UK expats living here or anywhere else for that matter if you feel the UK Government aught to be giving you the vaccines for free they actually are...back in the UK...you are free to return and claim your rights once again from the NHS.

Didn't anyone tell you the long established protocol of the forum which is that those who say, "if you don't like it , go home" automatically loses the argument?

I haven't seen anybody arguing that the UK government should be giving out vaccines for free.If there are one or two that have escaped my notice, it's certainly not my position.Many Brits here have been able to secure vaccinations but most have not including many elderly vulnerable people.They need help particularly as the pandemic in Thailand has taken a turn for the worse.Good to know you're "man enough" but others may not have your advantages.

The role of the Embassy, preferably in concert with other key countries, is to press the Thai government to live up to its word that foreigners would get fair and equal access.Since the departed and unlamented Ambassador appeared to think a bland assurance was sufficient (and then immediately scooted off), there does seem to be a responsibility on the part of the Embassy to follow up vigorously with the Thai authorities, and communicate properly with fellow citizens.

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 1:23 PM, Moonlover said:

Have you really thought this one through @OJAS? Even if, thanks to the largess of the British government, a consignment of vaccines were to arrive in Thailand, marked 'For British Expats Only', who do you suppose is going administer the distribution and delivery of the vaccines to the waiting arms?

I would hardly think that the British embassy has the capability to do so and I don't think that the Thai authorities would be very cooperative in this regard.

Let's all just be patient. It will all come right in the end. Despite all the hype that's going on, this is still a reasonably safe country to be in. With only 3,118 cases per 1 million, Thailand is still well down the list (151st) in terms of risk.

Just as emabssy employs many locals I cannot imagine it would be impossibe to hire freelance nurses 5 in BKK a few in other major centres Pattaya Phuket C Mai etc or have them rotate.If teh Frech can do it for their people it shows it is a lack of will rather than any humane barrier.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

Just as emabssy employs many locals I cannot imagine it would be impossibe to hire freelance nurses 5 in BKK a few in other major centres Pattaya Phuket C Mai etc or have them rotate.If teh Frech can do it for their people it shows it is a lack of will rather than any humane barrier.

And then have everyone travel to these designated vaccination sites? That's a cool idea during a pandemic! As I'm sure you realize, that we Brits are spread far and wide and Thailand is offering to vaccinate for free, within our home communities.

To me it's a no brainer stay home, stay safe and let the vaccine come to you. (as my 1st one did last Tuesday)

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moonlover said:

And then have everyone travel to these designated vaccination sites? That's a cool idea during a pandemic! As I'm sure you realize, that we Brits are spread far and wide and Thailand is offering to vaccinate for free, within our home communities.

To me it's a no brainer stay home, stay safe and let the vaccine come to you. (as my 1st one did last Tuesday)

I live about 350km from BKK and the same from Chiang Mai. Kamphaeng Phet is only 65km and Phitsanulok is 180km while Nakhon Sawan is 130km.

I know of at least 6 Brits In and around KPP but any other place is a minimum 2 hour drive. BKK and CM would need an overnight stop assuming that it is possible to stay 1 night and return the next day and NOT get slung into ASQ or isolation.

• Like 2

On 6/20/2021 at 2:31 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

He was talking about administering the vaccine once it arrived. Do you think that's something the Embassy should do? I doubt they would have the capabilities nor should they!

But maybe they know a man that can? If they had sufficient concern?

I'm sure I saw a headline the other day that France are doing it here?

• Like 1

On 6/20/2021 at 3:02 PM, jayboy said:

n the hypothetical case of (1) vaccine not being made available to foreigners in reasonable time and (2)  the UK taking the initiative to support residents, logistics would not be a difficult issue.The actual vaccination process would be contracted out to a hospital/s, not carried out in the Embassy's parking lot.

So what you're saying is that there actually has to be a willingness for the UK government to help out their national expats.

Never going to happen then.

On 6/20/2021 at 6:31 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

I don't think you can compare the UK's elected government with the unelected, authoritarian Chinese dictatorship.  I'm no fan of Boris, but surely his government's duty is towards the UK, not those citizens who chose to leave (like me) and who no doubt can be found in almost every country in the world.  I think you expect too much!

Sure Boris has a duty to UK citizens first, but the point is they have EXCESS vaccinations that they are giving away for FREE to counties like Thialand that are vaccinating caddies at golf courses ahead of people that  are high risk.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 6:08 PM, petermik said:

The UK Governments vaccination program for it,s residents is highly commendable...living here now I do not expect anything more than my monthly pension to be paid out...anything else I,m man enough to sort out myself.

For all the UK expats living here or anywhere else for that matter if you feel the UK Government aught to be giving you the vaccines for free they actually are...back in the UK...you are free to return and claim your rights once again from the NHS.

Who said expats here want vaccinations for free?

As seems inevitable that expats will have to pay for private vaccinations "sometime" between October this year and next, I'm sure many would not object to paying the cost for the medical services for the jabs to get them next week.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

But maybe they know a man that can? If they had sufficient concern?

I'm sure I saw a headline the other day that France are doing it here?

I have just run a Google search for UK expats in Thailand and the best figure I have found so far is 85,836. However that was the figure for 2010.

I even found this website which was also of no help.

https://www.dougsrepublic.com/thailand/foreigners.php

TBH I don't think that anybody has any real idea of how many Brits and other nationalities actually still live in Thailand. How many have gone back since Covid started last year?

IMO figure on perhaps 100,000 Brits live in Thailand, so the minimum doses required would be at least 250,000 for 2 jabs.

The bigger cities and the pre-covid tourist areas would account for perhaps 75% or more, with the rest scattered across the country side.