COVID 19 vaccinations for British Citizens in Thailand

6 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You are not left out.... You just chose to live in a different country and outside of the NHS umbrella. 

If you travel back to the UK you will be able to receive the vaccine immediately. 

Of course, you don’t want to travel back to the UK just for a vaccine - so you have to wait, that is unfortunate, but many Thai’s and other non-Thai’s are in the same situation.

Indeed.

And, @Angela Poustie would you expect the NHS to take care of you in Thailand, if you had any serious medical condition, say heart attack or stroke?

Whether rightly or wrongly, once you leave UK, the NHS doesn't cover you for anything nor does it claim to.

I presume you knew that....didn't you?

Edited by VBF
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

14 hours ago, puchooay said:

Where in Issan?

I know of many expats living in Issan that have already received a vaccine.

Khon Kaen.  I have been to Srinagarind Hospital - no  vaccine but contact again in August. 

To Khon Kaen Government hospital - no vaccine.  Foreigners must wait.

Kranuan Goverment Hospital - no vaccine and Thais before Foreigners.  

Mor Prom - I will get sms - this was at launch of Mor Prom and I'm still waiting.

The Intervac site and we all now what a disaster that has been.

I have a Yellow House Book and Pink ID Card which have had no effect.

I have also been to both Bangkok and RAM hospital in Khon Kaen, prepared to pay, but both say that they  are not getting any AstraZeneca, and on medical advice because of Anaphylaxis reaction, I currently cannot receive other acredited vaccines.   And no I would not take a Chinese vaccine because it is not recommended for over 59 years of age.   If it's not good enough for the Thai PM, then it's not good enough for me!

Edited by Havenstreet1940
spacing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Khon Kaen.  I have been to Srinagarind Hospital - no  vaccine but contact again in August. 

To Khon Kaen Government hospital - no vaccine.  Foreigners must wait.

Kranuan Goverment Hospital - no vaccine and Thais before Foreigners.  

Mor Prom - I will get sms - this was at launch of Mor Prom and I'm still waiting.

The Intervac site and we all now what a disaster that has been.

I have a Yellow House Book and Pink ID Card which have had no effect.

I have also been to both Bangkok and RAM hospital in Khon Kaen, prepared to pay, but both say that they  are not getting any AstraZeneca, and on medical advice because of Anaphylaxis reaction, I currently cannot receive other acredited vaccines.   And no I would not take a Chinese vaccine because it is not recommended for over 59 years of age.   If it's not good enough for the Thai PM, then it's not good enough for me!

I’m not aware of any age restriction or recommendation for the Sinovac vaccine - its better than not taking it.

Are you allergic to something in the AZ vaccine?  IF so, Sinovac is your only option at the moment/

33 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’m not aware of any age restriction or recommendation for the Sinovac vaccine - its better than not taking it.

Are you allergic to something in the AZ vaccine?  IF so, Sinovac is your only option at the moment/

Then you will not be aware that way back in March this year the Thai PM cancelled his Sinovac jab and opting at a later date to have the AZ vaccine and the Health minister saying that the reasoning was that Sinvac was not suitable for people over 59.   I accept that this decision has recently been reversed, but I would suggest it is a reversal caused by neccesity rather than sound medical advice.

Additionally serious questions are now being raised in Indonesia and Chile regarding the eficiay of Sinovac.    https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/06/17/chinas-sinovac-vaccine-under-scrutiny-as-covid-soars-in-highly-vaccinated-countries/?sh=56f575131444

The Allergy I have refers to the Phizer and Moderna vaccines.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Havenstreet1940 said:

Then you will not be aware that way back in March this year the Thai PM cancelled his Sinovac jab and opting at a later date to have the AZ vaccine and the Health minister saying that the reasoning was that Sinvac was not suitable for people over 59.   I accept that this decision has recently been reversed, but I would suggest it is a reversal caused by neccesity rather than sound medical advice.

Additionally serious questions are now being raised in Indonesia and Chile regarding the eficiay of Sinovac.    https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/06/17/chinas-sinovac-vaccine-under-scrutiny-as-covid-soars-in-highly-vaccinated-countries/?sh=56f575131444

The Allergy I have refers to the Phizer and Moderna vaccines.

I have friends in Isaan in their 70's who have successfully completed the two doses of Sinovac.

Your irrational fear of Sinovac has left you unprotected.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I have friends in Isaan in their 70's who have successfully completed the two doses of Sinovac.

Your irrational fear of Sinovac has left you unprotected.

'Irrational - unreasonable

not logical or reasonable.- illogical -groundless - baseless - unfounded'   I fail to comprehend how my decision to avoid Sinovac qualifies for the word 'Irrational"

"

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

I am sure that the OP would, at the very least, appreciate - as, indeed, I would - spare vaccines which are not needed in the UK being jabbed into the arms of British expats instead of being cheerfully given away for free by the British government to other countries (including, presumably, to the Thai government in order to facilitate them in giving the very highest of tip-top priorities to vaccinating their nationals ahead of foreigners). Why is that seemingly too unreasonable to expect in your and @richard_smith237's eyes?

Have you really thought this one through @OJAS? Even if, thanks to the largess of the British government, a consignment of vaccines were to arrive in Thailand, marked 'For British Expats Only', who do you suppose is going administer the distribution and delivery of the vaccines to the waiting arms?

I would hardly think that the British embassy has the capability to do so and I don't think that the Thai authorities would be very cooperative in this regard.

Let's all just be patient. It will all come right in the end. Despite all the hype that's going on, this is still a reasonably safe country to be in. With only 3,118 cases per 1 million, Thailand is still well down the list (151st) in terms of risk.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Have you really thought this one through @OJAS? Even if, thanks to the largess of the British government, a consignment of vaccines were to arrive in Thailand, marked 'For British Expats Only', who do you suppose is going administer the distribution and delivery of the vaccines to the waiting arms?

Well the British government certainly doesn't appear to envisage any problems in delivering consignments of spare vaccines to 100m+ non-British beneficiaries as part of their Great Vaccine Giveaway referred to in my immediately preceding post!

Edited by OJAS
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:
8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Well the British government certainly doesn't appear to envisage any problems in delivering consignments of spare vaccines to 100m+ non-British beneficiaries as part of their Great Vaccine Giveaway referred to in my immediately preceding post!

But that doesn't answer my question does it?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, OJAS said:

He was talking about administering the vaccine once it arrived. Do you think that's something the Embassy should do? I doubt they would have the capabilities nor should they!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

He was talking about administering the vaccine once it arrived. Do you think that's something the Embassy should do? I doubt they would have the capabilities nor should they!

It's not going to happen because of UK government policy that overseas UK residents should make their own arrangements.As it happens, notwithstanding current uncertainties I think that's the correct decision for a country of Thailand's reasonably advanced economic/health infrastructure status.Vaccines will shortly be available for all.

In the hypothetical case of (1) vaccine not being made available to foreigners in reasonable time and (2)  the UK taking the initiative to support residents, logistics would not be a difficult issue.The actual vaccination process would be contracted out to a hospital/s, not carried out in the Embassy's parking lot.There would also be a charge to recover costs but I don't suppose anybody would object to that.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Allow me to draw your attention to the NNT article linked below, which states that the ViMUT Hospital are providing COVID-19 jabs to Chinese nationals living in Thailand under an arrangement with the Chinese Embassy. So, if the Chinese Embassy can enter into a suitable arrangement with a local hospital, why on earth can't their British counterpart do likewise? The statement in the NNT article that ViMUT are willing to work with other embassies interested in providing vaccinations for their nationals is particularly worth noting in this connection.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210527124013401

One only has to read the article to see the obvious political and economic benefit to the Chinese. A captive and receptive audience of some 20,000 Chinese nationals working for Huawei Technologies (Thailand) says it all really doesn't it. And how many other Chinese are there here working on infrastructure projects? The UK has no such parallel incentive to tempt them to emulate the Chinese.

I would also point out that not all of us live in, or near Bangkok. You would certainly not tempt me, for instance, to do two 1,300kl round trips to get vaccinated, (at a cost no doubt) when in the not distant future I shall receive my vaccinations at my local hospital just 10kl away and for free.

Sorry, it's a no brainer. Stay home, stay safe and wait your turn. It'll come around eventually.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I would also point out that not all of us live in, or near Bangkok. You would certainly not tempt me, for instance, to do two 1,300kl round trips to get vaccinated, (at a cost no doubt) when in the not distant future I shall receive my vaccinations at my local hospital just 10kl away and for free.

I agree 100% however my province, Kanchanaburi don't seem to have received any of the memos. Hope they wake up soon. Not many foreigners here so probably low priority.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I agree 100% however my province, Kanchanaburi don't seem to have received any of the memos. Hope they wake up soon. Not many foreigners here so probably low priority.

Luckily for you, there not many Covid cases in your region. I note that Kanchanaburi only had 1 reported today. Just like us over in the north west, few cases so not much to worry about anyway.

Stay safe.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, OJAS said:

Allow me to draw your attention to the NNT article linked below, which states that the ViMUT Hospital are providing COVID-19 jabs to Chinese nationals living in Thailand under an arrangement with the Chinese Embassy. So, if the Chinese Embassy can enter into a suitable arrangement with a local hospital, why on earth can't their British counterpart do likewise? The statement in the NNT article that ViMUT are willing to work with other embassies interested in providing vaccinations for their nationals is particularly worth noting in this connection.

https://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news/detail/TCATG210527124013401

I don't think you can compare the UK's elected government with the unelected, authoritarian Chinese dictatorship.  I'm no fan of Boris, but surely his government's duty is towards the UK, not those citizens who chose to leave (like me) and who no doubt can be found in almost every country in the world.  I think you expect too much!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1