COVID 19 vaccinations for British Citizens in Thailand

12 hours ago, orchis said:

I flew back to my country and got vaccinated today.

Was that the first of 2 jabs or only 1 with another due later?

How long will you have to stay before the next one and then how long will it take to back into Thailand?

It seems to be a very expensive way of doing things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

IMO figure on perhaps 100,000 Brits live in Thailand, so the minimum doses required would be at least 250,000 for 2 jabs

I think the figure is much smaller, possibly lower than 2010 but let's assume the same.Many will have returned and many will already have been vaccinated.Applying the same criteria as the French (over 55 or otherwise at risk) the total would be smaller still In short about 50% or less (possibly much less) of your estimate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jayboy said:

I think the figure is much smaller, possibly lower than 2010 but let's assume the same.Many will have returned and many will already have been vaccinated.Applying the same criteria as the French (over 55 or otherwise at risk) the total would be smaller still In short about 50% or less (possibly much less) of your estimate.

I expect that you are correct and many have probably died off over the last 10 years or so.

IMHO, a lot of the guys that have stayed are probably the rural ones which probably are some 20% of the total.

The UK embassy will have some idea, but that will only be the ones that have registered with them and not everybody does any more.

In my case, since they have stopped doing the letters for Immigration I have had no contact with them at all.

I know of about a dozen guys who will have nothing to do with the embassy any more, as the embassy is not interested in ordinary people like us, but they are interested in business people.

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

Was that the first of 2 jabs or only 1 with another due later?

How long will you have to stay before the next one and then how long will it take to back into Thailand?

It seems to be a very expensive way of doing things.

First of two, one month in between.
Flight was very cheap, I stay with friends and the vaccine is free.

Older Thai people in my village got vaccinated on day 1 (but only 4 had made a reservation); younger Thais saw their appointment getting canceled and I was on WL.

Edited by orchis
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2021 at 2:32 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You are not left out.... You just chose to live in a different country and outside of the NHS umbrella. 

If you travel back to the UK you will be able to receive the vaccine immediately. 

Of course, you don’t want to travel back to the UK just for a vaccine - so you have to wait, that is unfortunate, but many Thai’s and other non-Thai’s are in the same situation. 

I too have paid full NI contributions and continue to pay full tax on my pensions. For what? No income letters no state pension increases no access to NHS. France has vaccinated it's expats. The UK can afford to send a carrier fleet to Thailand apply to join the Trans Pacific Partnership and set up trade deals with Australia Canada Japan etc etc but won't vaccinate it's expats or unfreeze their pensions. Why because this Government cares more about making money for billionaire Tory supporters than 80000 expats pensioners!  

• Sad 1

Why do people think the Government is gonna help you, I have served in the Army paid my dues, now work and live in Germany, have to pay a wacking amount of health care into the German system,  does the UK think about people like us, the answer is NO, so just move on. You are residents of Thailand and the Thais should look after you, what other nations do or don't do is upto them 

• Like 1

I don't suppose the Embassy officials are paying any attention to this discussion, but if they are I would appreciate it if they would be clear that the situation for the vast majority of UK expats in Thailand having no access to the vaccine programme is serious. I am one of those, 62 years old, worked as a Registered Nurse in the NHS and then the Hospice movement, lived in Thailand now for almost ten years. I have diabetes and other underlying conditions which place me in the high risk category. As the new wave of infections and deaths continues to rise I am isolating from my friends, and it looks like that will be my situation for many months to come. I have registered with the hospital in Pattaya where I have my diabetes support but as the information about the diminishing amounts of the Moderna vaccine get worse almost every day I am becoming more and more depressed and concerned. If I could afford it I would fly back to the UK to obtain the vaccine, but on my little NHS pension that is not an option. Please put whatever pressure you can on the Thai government to provide access to a vaccine for expats at risk like myself. I have no objection to paying for it at all. Please support us in whatever way you can.

• Like 2

On 6/30/2021 at 5:51 AM, chilly07 said:

I too have paid full NI contributions and continue to pay full tax on my pensions. For what? No income letters no state pension increases no access to NHS.

You moved away from the NHS - it didn't move away from you.

• Like 1

For those who are staying and are over 60 or meet pre-conditions .... this is on the Thailandintervac site this morning.......

1. Phyathai 2 Hospital

Pre-registration: 12-16 July from 09.00-12.00 hours only (via phyathai2international.com)

Vaccination Period: 19-30 July 2021 (except weekends)

2. Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital(Directly contact the hospital)

Note: The operating hours to pre-register depend on each hospital.

For your information, the target groups are divided into two phases. The first phase (current phase) is for people 60 years old and above and people living with any of the following underlying diseases:

1. Severe Chronic Respiratory Diseases (CRDs)

2. Coronary artery disease (CAD)

3. Chronic kidney disease (CKD) (5th stage)

4. Cerebrovascular disease

5. Cancer patients receiving chemotherapy

6. Diabetes

7. Obesity (weight > 100 kg or BMI > 35 kg/m²)

On 7/6/2021 at 6:41 AM, Whale said:

For those who are staying and are over 60 or meet pre-conditions .... this is on the Thailandintervac site this morning.......

1. Phyathai 2 Hospital

Pre-registration: 12-16 July from 09.00-12.00 hours only (via phyathai2international.com)

Vaccination Period: 19-30 July 2021 (except weekends)

2. Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital(Directly contact the hospital)

Note: The operating hours to pre-register depend on each hospital.

For your information, the target groups are divided into two phases. The first phase (current phase) is for people 60 years old and above and people living with any of the following underlying diseases:

1. Severe Chronic Respiratory Diseases (CRDs)

2. Coronary artery disease (CAD)

3. Chronic kidney disease (CKD) (5th stage)

4. Cerebrovascular disease

5. Cancer patients receiving chemotherapy

6. Diabetes

7. Obesity (weight > 100 kg or BMI > 35 kg/m²)

Ok if you live in Bangkok

Well, I tried to pre-register with Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital, and this is their reply :

Greetings from Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital.

We regret to inform you that our pre-registration for free government vaccination is now fully-booked. Please wait for further updates for the next pre-registration schedule.

You may see the link below for your reference:

http://www.thailandintervac.com/

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards, 

Thanarat Pichetsuntorn
Samitivej Sukhumvit Hospital
Samitivej Srinakarin Hospital

There is a quota for free government vaccinations  ?  Does that mean there is no vaccine available ? Or is that just no-vaccine for non-Thais ?  The hospital refers us to the thailandintervac webpage which states :

Pre-registration is registration to express intention to receive the COVID-19 vaccination at one of the designated hospitals. After registration, you must wait for the appointment confirmation from the hospital for the vaccine as per the proposed date and time.

But we can't register to express our intention to receive a vaccination.  Is this just a further example of Thai "equality"  ?   Maybe the British Embassy can bring this to the attention of whoever they have regular meetings with ?

On 6/18/2021 at 8:20 AM, Ian Wake said:

Same here, a young 66, fully paid up N.I..........
Neglected and rejected.....

I'm 54 and have 35 years of fully paid and pension qualifying NI contributions. Do I expect anything from the British Government either in the UK or overseas? No! We have to take care of ourselves despite paying into the "system" for our working lives. My best advice to those who really want the vaccine is to pay the airfare and get on a plane to the UK. You will get it on day of arrival at a walk-in centre (only need ID and NHS number). You'll also get second jab after 4 weeks at vaccination centre. I arrived in UK on 18th April and got my 1st jab immediately once isolation over - although there is no way they can check whether you should be in isolation. Walked in again without appointment after 5 weeks and given 2nd jab. At present, the only issue is 14 days quarantine on return to Thailand but Phuket isn't really that bad...

8 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

(only need ID and NHS number).

I don't know my NHS number (as opposed to my National Insurance Number, which I do know). It is possible to search for your NHS number on the DHSS website. I put in my details and it didn't recognise me. I can only assume that having been out of the UK for nearly 12 years I have been wiped off the system and am now a non-person. No-one who has been out of the UK for any length of time should assume that they are entitled to anything very much from the NHS.

2 hours ago, Eff1n2ret said:

I don't know my NHS number (as opposed to my National Insurance Number, which I do know). It is possible to search for your NHS number on the DHSS website. I put in my details and it didn't recognise me. I can only assume that having been out of the UK for nearly 12 years I have been wiped off the system and am now a non-person. No-one who has been out of the UK for any length of time should assume that they are entitled to anything very much from the NHS.

Doubt your records have been deleted. I would try calling or emailing your last registered doctors surgery or last local health authority and ask them how you can obtain your NHS number (they almost certainly won't give it by phone). No need to tell them you are not in the UK.

On 7/9/2021 at 3:28 AM, soi3eddie said:

My best advice to those who really want the vaccine is to pay the airfare and get on a plane to the UK. You will get it on day of arrival at a walk-in centre (only need ID and NHS number).

The second sentence is totally incorrect. According to the GOV.UK website you are supposed to "quarantine at home or in the place you are staying for 10 days" on arrival from an amber list country. So you can't be jabbed on your day of arrival but only 11 days later. And even though the quarantine requirement is due to be abolished from 19 July in the case of those arriving in England from an amber list country who have been fully vaccinated, it will clearly continue to apply to those who haven't been jabbed.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-amber-and-green-list-rules-for-entering-england#amber-list

Edited by OJAS

On 6/18/2021 at 2:32 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You are not left out.... You just chose to live in a different country and outside of the NHS umbrella. 

If you travel back to the UK you will be able to receive the vaccine immediately. 

Of course, you don’t want to travel back to the UK just for a vaccine - so you have to wait, that is unfortunate, but many Thai’s and other non-Thai’s are in the same situation. 

Or alternately the Embassy could help facilitate vaccination at cost to the recipients. The advantage of this being that any citizens returning to the UK would be vaccinated and thus less likely to introduce another c19 mutation or variant. I am trying to get vaccinated in order to return to the UK to help with my elderly fathers care. I would prefer to return as a vaccinated traveller rather than an unvaccinated potential risk. I would happily pay for my vaccine in full as I am sure others would. I don't want a hand out, I want a solution to the vaccine impasse.