2nd Jab of Sinovac Vaccine Significantly Stimulates Immunity

snoop1130

7 hours ago, bipper said:

You don't make sense only 10M people in Indonesia have had 2 doses of ANY vaccine.

If you want to be Xenophobic you need to try a little harder. There are 270M people there.

Somebody probably failed mathematics.

A lot of people still don't understand that getting a vaccine doesn't prevent anyone from getting the virus.

Any vaccine  just prevents the person from being hospitalized or death. You will still catch the virus but with milder symptoms.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, josthomz said:

Without having any idea of which country you're referring to, I am fairly certain a significant percentage of those "new infections" are vaccinated people.

Ireland, but look at US Israel, on the hosp staff here its made a high 90s difference in absentee due to covid.

There is evidence of infection on single dose and how long after before it is effective pfizer takes 15 days to reach 80% which i have, it takes 4 to 12 week for second jab depending on the brand.

The delta version is more transmissible and those not fully vaxed are still at risk.

26 minutes ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

The BBC announced today that after the 1st jab of AZ or Pfizer gives 75% protection and 95% after 2nd jab, .... So I think Sinovac has a long long way to go.... 

I wouldn't trust BBC.

Do you expect BBC to say their UK based vaccine is bad or China to say their vaccine is bad? There's a conflict of interest.

That's why Thailand is doing their own tests.

Edited by EricTh
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, josthomz said:

And those fully vaccinated even with Pfizer or Moderna are equally at risk of infection, just not at risk of severe disease let alone death.

You can easily find reports of fully vaccinated people getting infected... 

I am vaxed ? will u?

Ok link a report then...

• Confused 1

48 minutes ago, josthomz said:

I am vaxed too. 

I am not arguing in favor of not vaccinating, I am just arguing with those who claim SinoVac is not effective enough...

Check this news of fully vaccinated people with Pfizer who died from the Delta variant.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/revealed-fully-vaccinated-died-delta-indian-variant-coronavirus-102623618.html

The vaccine is not a 100% shield, the same way that even contraceptive pills can't prevent 100% of pregnancies. But vaccines sure lower the number of infected and death people to almost insignificant numbers. 

And in preventing serious disease and death, all vaccines are equally good.

The article you link to is from the UK and I believe they are using AZ as the primary vaccine.  I didn't see anything mentioned about Pfizer.   

The Pfizer Covid vaccine is less effective against the Delta variant (also known as B.1.617.2) and that those with two doses would be better protected against the new strain, found a new study in Lancet.

Delta has been declared as Variant of Concern (VOC) by the World Health Organisation (WHO). 

https://www.livemint.com/science/news/to-fight-delta-extend-second-dose-protection-as-quickly-as-possible-study-11622859064164.html

4 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

I believe he is referring to the news report yesterday that approx 350 fully vaccinated health workers in Indonesia have caught Covid. They took sinovac.

not saying it’s a bad vaccine, just repeating the news. It was on CNA so a reputable news agency

Absolutely. That's why the EU is mixing vaccines to try to get better efficacy against the Delta variant. Shouldn't just be pointing the finger at the Sino stuff. AZ first vaccinated getting Pzifer shots as a second shot in the EU.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, cclub75 said:

Sorry, you should try a little harder.

We are talking about medical personel who have been vaccinated with Sinovac ! So the total population of Indonesia (who are not vaccinated yet) are totally irrelevant !

If you don't like Reuters, you can try Forbes :

Source : https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/06/17/chinas-sinovac-vaccine-under-scrutiny-as-covid-soars-in-highly-vaccinated-countries/

The fact is the EU is mixing AZ first vaccine with Pfizer as a second shot against this variant to improve efficacy. So nobody, you, Reuters, Forbes and all shouldn't be pointing the finger at the Sino vaccines only as regards the Delta variant, the dominant stain in Kudus Indonesia the area they are referring too.

Edited by bipper
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, josthomz said:

I am vaxed too. 

I am not arguing in favor of not vaccinating, I am just arguing with those who claim SinoVac is not effective enough...

Check this news of fully vaccinated people with Pfizer who died from the Delta variant.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/revealed-fully-vaccinated-died-delta-indian-variant-coronavirus-102623618.html

The vaccine is not a 100% shield, the same way that even contraceptive pills can't prevent 100% of pregnancies. But vaccines sure lower the number of infected and death people to almost insignificant numbers. 

It was never 100% but from my small country it has made a massive difference it is no longer the headline.

Cant see any ref to pfizer in the link sino was never an option left thailand on that one alone.

We all want the quick exit here but if your from first would and can go back do

4 hours ago, josthomz said:

I am vaxed too. 

That article doesn't say which vaccine.  They show a stock picture of a Pfizer vial ...

7 hours ago, EricTh said:

I wouldn't trust BBC.

Do you expect BBC to say their UK based vaccine is bad or China to say their vaccine is bad? There's a conflict of interest.

Do you actually believe that the BBC made this up? Or that they conducted their own research?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A research has found the efficacy rate of Sinovac’s COVID-19 vaccine is higher than 50% among the Thai people who have received two doses, according to Chulalongkorn University.

A source of comfort to the very many Thais and expatriates, who are still waiting, with no idea or information as to when we might receive the first jab of vaccine, any vaccine, so earnestly, enthusiastically, sincerely and frequently promised!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, josthomz said:

And those fully vaccinated even with Pfizer or Moderna are equally at risk of infection, just not at risk of severe disease let alone death.

You can easily find reports of fully vaccinated people getting infected... 

This is false. The risk of infection is far less for Pfizer, at least, than it is for Sinovac's vaccine. 

5 hours ago, josthomz said:

I am vaxed too. 

No. They're all good at preventing disease and death. But some are definitely better than others. Of course, if you're in a part of the world where all you can get is a vaccine that is somewhat less effective, it still makes sense to take it. Continuing research shows that ultimately you can also get vaccinated with a more effective vaccine to improve resistance.

8 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Fairly easy to guess from the way these Sinovac articles are written that they are paid for by the Chinese. 

And with the complicity of China's longtime ally, the United States!

"The university announced in its website that the research was conducted by the Emerging Infectious Diseases Clinical Center of King Chulalongkorn Memorial Hospital, its Faculty of Medicine and the Armed Forces Research Institute of Medical Sciences (AFRIMS) of the United States."

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A research has found the efficacy rate of Sinovac’s COVID-19 vaccine is higher than 50% among the Thai people who have received two doses, according to Chulalongkorn University.

Hardly world news.. a second dose works.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The research found that 95% of the 186 recipients of the second dose of Sinovac’s COVID-19 vaccine had immunity against the virus.

Could be true depending upon the test criteria. In any case there has been no deaths reported for anyone having received a vaccination no matter which brand is administered.

This video explains how the rating of efficiency can be very misleading.

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

Somebody probably failed mathematics.

A lot of people still don't understand that getting a vaccine doesn't prevent anyone from getting the virus.

Any vaccine  just prevents the person from being hospitalized or death. You will still catch the virus but with milder symptoms.

"A lot of people still don't understand that getting a vaccine doesn't prevent anyone everyone from getting the virus."

Moderna and Pfizer mRNA appeared to be 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 infection in a real-world setting. STAT news here

"Somebody probably failed mathematics." Agree.

6 hours ago, bipper said:

The fact is the EU is mixing AZ first vaccine with Pfizer as a second shot against this variant to improve efficacy. So nobody, you, Reuters, Forbes and all shouldn't be pointing the finger at the Sino vaccines only as regards the Delta variant, the dominant stain in Kudus Indonesia the area they are referring too.

It’s an interesting idea to mix them, but I wonder why not just use two shots of Pfizer and be done with it. Or does the first dose of AZ actually add something to the mix?

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

I wouldn't trust BBC.

You don’t believe the BBC reporting on research carried out in the UK, but do believe Thailand testing once they get round to doing their own research.

you’ve lived here too long.

46 minutes ago, rabas said:

"A lot of people still don't understand that getting a vaccine doesn't prevent anyone everyone from getting the virus."

Moderna and Pfizer mRNA appeared to be 90% effective in preventing Covid-19 infection in a real-world setting. STAT news here

"Somebody probably failed mathematics." Agree.

Of course, this study was conducted in the USA before the delta variant was significantly present.

19 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Of course, this study was conducted in the USA before the delta variant was significantly present.

The entire country of Israel reports the same.  mRNA effectiveness at preventing infections is now "widely known".

I was correcting the statement that no vaccine can prevent any infections.  Blatantly wrong.

Agree all vaccines are challenged by the B.1.617.2delta variant, to some degree.  The new Vietnam variant of B.1.617.2  could be even worse.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

One thing we don't know is what exactly was the composition of the tested group. That the Defense Dept. of the USA was involved might mean that young healthy people were the ones being tested. So naturally, they would do better. Of course, my surmise is just that: speculation.

Well that's a huge sample size to be gloating about 186 people out of the population of Thailand thats .00000248 of 1%, but its more important that its 95%, its always about numbers never about the truth