Coffee maker with bean

claynlr

On 6/20/2021 at 2:20 PM, JahLion said:

If you're coming from instant coffee, Nespresso will be a step forward. The capsules are made from aluminum and can be recycled. The capsules are sold by several manufacturers and are way cheaper than a cup of Starbucks coffee. 

Recycled, in Thailand ????????????????

Okay, one capsule is around 20 baht, you're right, that is cheaper than Starbucks but still much more expensive than ground coffee / coffee beans by weight.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, CLW said:

Recycled, in Thailand ????????????????

Okay, one capsule is around 20 baht, you're right, that is cheaper than Starbucks but still much more expensive than ground coffee / coffee beans by weight.

Moccona is about 6b a cup. I think they use robusta beans but it has decent body, flavor sometimes even aroma if I make it stronger. I just drink black coffee.

13 hours ago, kynikoi said:

Moccona is about 6b a cup. I think they use robusta beans but it has decent body, flavor sometimes even aroma if I make it stronger. I just drink black coffee.

Robusta has more caffeine whereas Arabica has better flavour. 

I’d be choosing A medium dark roast Arabica bean, most of Thai beans are good.

I’ve heard a lot about Doi-Tung coffee on this forum but never tried it. 

As the Op is stepping up from Instant coffee to fresh coffee - thats kind of like stepping up from public transport to your own car. 

Some options may be like stepping up from Public Transport to a Taxi...  

The French Press Option with a decent Thai Arabica bean would be like stepping up from Public Transport to a decent Honda.

Whereas freshly ground Bean to Espresso (with your own well dialled in espresso machine) with a good South American Arabica bean would be like stepping up from Public transport into an S-Class Mercedes !!!

A good medium-range reliable option is an Espresso Machine - Good Coffee, hassle free well made. 

But if the Op wants to drink Long Black coffee - A french Press and decent Thai Arabica bean is the best option for him IMO. 

My personal preference:  A decent medium roast Thai Arabica, ground in my own espresso machine - Dialled in to 17gms grind with a 5-8 second pre-infusion and a 30 second press to make a 32 to 35 gm double shot...  Then lengthened with a 2/3 ratio a densely foamed milk.

It becomes almost an obsessive routine...  great coffee and not nice when the only option is to revert back to instant, i.e. when at breakfast at crappy resort !!!.... 

No coffee snobbery... I’ll take a double espresso at ABP or Starbucks without feeling the need to trash corporate swill etc... 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

d be choosing A medium dark roast Arabica bean, most of Thai beans are good.

I’ve heard a lot about Doi-Tung coffee on this foru

I like Moccona. It's been as low as b87 250gm at Big C but I generally order it online.

I didn't like Doi Tung nor any Thai coffee that I've ever tasted. Flat, bitter.

Lao coffee tends to be strong and flat. No aroma nobody one dimensional flavor.

Some Vietnamese coffees are a step or two above that but I also find the rubusto being entirely lacking.

Having said that I'm okay with this green box Moconna.

I'm tired of wasting 300 baht on some dreadful coffee taking a sip and then knowing I need to finish the whole thing before I can try another bad coffee.

Starbucks does a nice roast that's for ssure. The beans are not worth the price. I pretty much hate the company, I think I've been into a Starbucks perhaps six times in my entire life. In the US you can get proprietary beans that are roasted by Starbucks for about a half of the cost if not less at Costco.

Edited by kynikoi

Like the OP I like mine just as it is, hot, black and no sugar.
I live south of Khon Kaen where a friend has his own lines of real coffee, he imports from different countries ( Africa, South America, etc. also one or two Thai ) then blends or keeps as is, he ranks near the top 10 of Thai coffee makes.
He also makes your own blend if you would like.
As for machines he has the full gambit ( not for sale though and too expensive for the general home use ) so you can order the exact style you would like.
His coffee shop is peaceful with hardened regulars but also serves to outsiders ( ! )
Good hunting for your machines