Vientiane For 3 Month Non-imm O:

Am now considering a short trip to Vientiane and applying for a 3 month (only because it seems categoric that one year visas are now not available in neighouring countries) Non-Imm O with the intention of getting an annual extension back in Chiang Mai.

Has anyone done this, any words of warning or wisdom or recommendations?

The 3 day 2 night package from Lao Air looks okay and should do the job nicely.

Thanks in advance,

JxP

Don't eat at the Parasol Blanc :D . But on the positive side: it's close to the Thai Embassy and consulate.

Not quite what I was hoping for :o but I will keep that in mind!

JxP :D

Am now considering a short trip to Vientiane and applying for a 3 month (only because it seems categoric that one year visas are now not available in neighouring countries) Non-Imm O with the intention of getting an annual extension back in Chiang Mai.

Thanks in advance,

JxP

It was all pretty straight forward a month ago, I take it you have a T/W.

You must have a Thai spouse and plan to use the 40k monthly family income extension of stay in three months time?

Multi entry non immigrant O one year visas are available in both KL and Singapore. In the case of KL it it not certain and they may or may not issue. In the case of Singapore they will issue if you show a bank account with 400k or more in it.

In any case take marriage certificate/copy and copy of spouse id card that is signed and dated. Most Consulates will issue single entry with that evidence.

Thanks in advance,

JxP

It was all pretty straight forward a month ago, I take it you have a T/W.

Good news, thanks and yes my wife and our four children all have Thai IDs and/or birth certificates.

At the risk of being a pest(!): How long did it take? Where did you stay? What is there to do and see?

JxP

You must have a Thai spouse and plan to use the 40k monthly family income extension of stay in three months time?

Yes, exactly - I was on this routine (old style: show B400K etc etc) before I failed to get my reentry permit a couple of months ago. I assume that any extension will be annual as before, do you know if that is correct?

Multi entry non immigrant O one year visas are available in both KL and Singapore. In the case of KL it it not certain and they may or may not issue. In the case of Singapore they will issue if you show a bank account with 400k or more in it.
As I said to Jim of Jim's Place, Penang in a recent email: "KL is too uncertain, Perth is too far away, Singapore is too bureaucratic and the UK is too unattractive!" I was planning on going to Penang but having never been to Laos it seems like a good idea to visit Vientiane.
In any case take marriage certificate/copy and copy of spouse id card that is signed and dated. Most Consulates will issue single entry with that evidence.

I was also planning on taking birth certificates of the children, bank statements of myself, wife and children and affidavits declaring that I support us all - maybe that's overkill but I believe one can never present too much paperwork to the Thai authorities! Would you agree?

You're a star in this forum Lopburi3, I thank you for your advice both direct and in response to others.

JxP

Never overkill to have with you but I would not present anything that was not asked for. They can get suspicious of too much material.

Yes the extensions will be on an annual basis just as before except the new 40k monthly income requirement rather than a bank account. Current policy is to provide final approval within the first 30 day extension of stay stamp so believe that will be an improvement for many; especially upcountry.

Juniorexpat, we stayed at the Mali Lamphu on a recommendation and found it great at the price about 800bt /double including brekky in their inner courtyard garden. Its right in the middle of town and only metres from good resturaunts and the Danish pastry bakery. A 5minute walk gets you to the Mekong with its riverside food outlets .

Next time we do the trip we are staying longer to explore up country a bit .

A question for lopburi3 on the same subject,can you foresee a problem in getting a second 3 month non-immO succesively under current rules. I will be 10 days short of the 3 months since our tax figures were lodged and paid when my visa is due for renewal.

I know one chap who is on his sixth in succession but things are changing so quickly these days.

Cheers

ozzy

Lop, do you have any evidence that having too many documents does make the application process supicious as over the years I have found the opposite.

I always take double the required documents and they visa application officer always reads them all and picks what he wants from the stack and returns the remainder to me! Happened to me in Savannakhet in January!

Having an excess of documents makes your application more legitimate or is this for bankers only;)

Badbanker

For bankers only. :o

Believe the normal reaction is 'why?' when someone piles it on; and the suspicion that there may be something wrong and I had better look closely at this one. Just my feeling. Also do not want to make it more trouble for the next person if they decide 'gee - might be good to make everyone show this extra paperwork'.

I always take more than I need but keep it in reserve.

Just as an afterthought, Vientienne only requires one copy of documents and one photo,I have always been hit up for two copies of every page in my passport at Nong Khai but V only wanted cover page and last Visa page.

• 3 weeks later...
Just got back from Vientiane with 60 day tourist. (2nd in a row). Every visa application I saw was accepted and people we spoke to all got their visa no questions asked. Staff were all smiles too!!!

Am I correct in saying the process for a non-immigrant O is three days at Vientiane?

Just a quick question, how many times can a non O single entry be obtained from Vientiane. In the past there didn't seem to be any limit, but nowadays is this still ok?

2 Tourist Visas per year are and were to be obtained at Vientiane and Savannakhet just before and after the coup. Why should it be different for a Non-O-visa?

I know of one single None-O-visa being picked up at Savannakhet early this year and it took 2 days also. 2 Tourist visa recently issued at Savannakhet took 2 days as well (applications to be done before 12 am and handed out the next day after 2 pm).

Savannakhet closely follows the rules of Vientiane.

I do not recall any creditable report that Vientiane was placing any limit on the number of visa issues. Indeed they retired the don't come again red stamp long ago. And the report that I do recall from Savannakhet seemed to be due to the sudden increase in customers rather than visa issue policy.

Forgot to report back:

Arrived in Vientiane early Tuesday (29 May) evening. Wednesday morning to hand in application form with attached photo, copies of passport, marriage certificate, childrens' birth certificates, wifes' ID, along with my passport. Arrived at 08:10, gate opened just after 08:30, was fourth in line of a queue of about a dozen people (but rapidly increasing), the B2,000 fee is paid in a separate area so one has to wait to be called with Thai 'customers' seeming to take priority (no issue, just pointing it out!), left the premises around 09:15.

Thursday was a Thai holiday so embassy was closed. Friday, 13:00 almost exactly the same queuing scenario, picked up passport with 3 month Non-Imm O visa and left at about 13:15. Job done.

Flight departure time 12:30 and no flights on Saturday so returned on Sunday having enjoyed plenty of good food (especially French and Indian), beer and coffee!

Saw a couple of posts regarding Non-Imm B one year visas, as far as I am aware none of the neighbouring countries are offering one year non-imm B visas EXCEPT for Penang:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=125043

I am no expert, this is all either written from personal experience or is information being passed on.

JxP