Irish Passport/Thai Wife -Process For Entering Spain

Hi

We're currently in England.

It's looking more and more unlikely we'll be getting back to Thailand this year due to the restrictions, therefore we're looking at alternatives in Europe until hopefully we can get back in Jan'

I have an Irish passport(& British), my wife a Thai passport.

Has anyone had any experience re entering Spain on an Irish (EU) passport with a Thai wife without a visa e.g. what documents are required, questions asked etc ?
As an Irish passport holder my wife should be able to travel freely with me around the EU I believe without a visa ( maybe a max 90 days )

I've looked at the Spanish Embassy website, but they don't seem to have webchat etc.

Thanks in advance

You can just show your Irish passport for hassle-free entry, no covid certificate nor pcr test needed if traveling directly from UK, but your wife would need to apply for a visa to enter Schengen if she only holds Thai passport. Whatever visa she's got for entering the UK is not valid in the European Union as the UK has already left Schengen and Thailand is not among the countries whose nationals married to UE passport holders are allowed to cross external EU borders without a valid visa (those would have 90 days exemtion in a 180-day period).

So I'd advise you to contact the Spanish embassy in London to initiate the visa application for your spouse else she'll be denied boarding.

• Like 1

No way your wife will be allowed to enter.....??? She will need either a Schengen visa or a visa allowing her to visit Spain.....unless I am very mistaken.

She will be allowed to apply for a limited form of Spanish citizenship meaning she can stay with you once there as you will come under EU law rather than Spanish law.

We're in England at the moment as I'm English(British passport) - my wife is Thai and applying for ILR(BRP card).

I also have an Irish Passport.

Following this up I came across the following:

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm#residence-doc-yes-non-schengen-to-non-schengen-1

Looks like a visa is still needed but the visa for entry should be faster and free of charge.

Thanks for the input.

Anybody that has actually done it I'd still love to hear your experience/process.

Regards

A Thai citizen who is married to an EU citizen still needs a visa to enter the Schengen countries. No exceptions for Thais holding ordinary passports.

But being married to an EU citizen usually means that it's easier to qualify for such a visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pmbkk said:

Looks like a visa is still needed but the visa for entry should be faster and free of charge.

In theory she could present herself at an EU Border, with her Thai Passport and with you, an EU National, and she could be admitted exercising her right of free movement.

In practice it’s highly unlikely that a carrier would board her, so yes a Schengen Visa would be her safest option.

You are correct that her visa should be free and issued without the normal financial, insurance and accommodation checks, though she should have details of her flights to and from Spain to hand, as well as her flights back to Thailand if appropriate.

On 6/22/2021 at 2:41 PM, Surelynot said:

She will be allowed to apply for a limited form of Spanish citizenship

LOL are you serious?? So no need to apply for a Schengen visa? Just straight out Spanish citizenship?

Great comedy.

On 6/22/2021 at 5:14 PM, josthomz said:

Ireland is part of the EU, so if you have an Irish passport you need nothing to enter Spain except one of those European Vaccine Passports (aka, being vaccinated).

If you wanted to use your British passport, I believe there's a tiny bit of extra paperwork you would need to prepare. But I am not sure on this one.

If I'm not mistaken not entirely correct anymore since Brexit..Ireland is only partly EU

On 6/22/2021 at 8:56 PM, Pmbkk said:

We're in England at the moment as I'm English(British passport) - my wife is Thai and applying for ILR(BRP card).

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/entry-exit/non-eu-family/index_en.htm#residence-doc-yes-non-schengen-to-non-schengen-1

Thanks for the input.

Anybody that has actually done it I'd still love to hear your experience/process.

Regards

Had to do with Th WIFE to go from France to UK.... 

3 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

irelands not part of schengen.neither was uk,irelands in the eu  still so it shouldnt be so hard,shell need a schengen visa if shes a thai pp.

Absolutely correct. Also same rules for Switzerland....

On 6/22/2021 at 7:26 PM, VictorInBKK said:

You can just show your Irish passport for hassle-free entry, no covid certificate nor pcr test needed if traveling directly from UK, but your wife would need to apply for a visa to enter Schengen if she only holds Thai passport. Whatever visa she's got for entering the UK is not valid in the European Union as the UK has already left Schengen and Thailand is not among the countries whose nationals married to UE passport holders are allowed to cross external EU borders without a valid visa (those would have 90 days exemtion in a 180-day period).

So I'd advise you to contact the Spanish embassy in London to initiate the visa application for your spouse else she'll be denied boarding.

UK has NEVER been part of the Shengen agreement.......

• Like 1

"Has anyone had any experience re entering Spain on an Irish (EU) passport with a Thai wife without a visa e.g. what documents are required, questions asked etc ?"

Yes, I did it from Thailand as an EU citizen a few years back. She will in reality need a Schengen visa, always been the case, and can be done on her own or as a family member member of EU citizen. As already said much easier as family member, also free and less info required. On the other hand your marriage certificate will come under scrutiny and certain requirements may have to be met.

Spain uses VFS for Schengen visas, first problem I had was the VFS staff didn't know where Tenerife was, couldn't find it on a map of Spain. There should be information of the London VFS website, I know someone who has done it with them without any problem. Some may say it has to be done in the home country but that is not the case if you can show that would be impractical.

I would suggest you read the Schengen handbook which can be found online, in particular the section in respect of family members. As already mentioned, it is not so much the legality of entry that is in question as opposed to the transport operator allowing travel. You may be allowed on the ferry but turning up at the border can lead to protracted detention while they investigate and particularly in the current circumstances not an option that should be considered. Good luck.

Many years ago got my wife a visa to visit France from London embassy which was straightforward same day but at time based on married to a UK-EU ( Scottish) passport holder....so suggest use your Irish passport .Wife eventually got a UK PP...and for last couple of years no entry problems...Now with this "break...its:...must be careful on spelling I am now trying for an Irish PP ....and hopefully one day a Scottish....good luck.. 

On 6/22/2021 at 12:14 PM, josthomz said:

Ireland is part of the EU, so if you have an Irish passport you need nothing to enter Spain except one of those European Vaccine Passports (aka, being vaccinated).

If you wanted to use your British passport, I believe there's a tiny bit of extra paperwork you would need to prepare. But I am not sure on this one.

Definitely NO. 

As a Non-Eu member your Thai wife has to apply for a Schengen visa. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2021 at 3:56 PM, Pmbkk said:

Thanks for the input.

Regards

Currently you will also need to complete the pre travel documents (online) to receive an email/SMS with a QR code required when entering Spain after passport control. I arrived last Sunday without one. It took an extra 45 minutes completing the document manually at the airport before was allowed enter.