Video: No tourists but some of the beaches in Thailand are filthy with trash

webfact

Just reading this story and through the comments triggers the thought of our global greenhouse gas problem. We are all part of the problem even when governments get an agreement, the job is only done properly if EVERYONE does their part. Unlike the eyesore of plastic, etc waste on public beaches, GHG emissions are latent and so it’s easy to make it someone else’s problem. I’m driven to the conclusion that problems the likes of this are the canary in the coal mine of the global problem we have with emissions, be it plastic or GHGs. We are in this together and we all need to be involved in the change that must take place. If everyone does their bit, we can win. But it’s not heartening to read of the lack of personal responsibility in this area and the broader implications. 

Edited by Tradewind777

28 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

They have banned FREE plastic bags

The latest is they give plastic bags with all coffees...it's like they're not happy unless they give customers at least one throwaway plastic bag!

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

The latest is they give plastic bags with all coffees...it's like they're not happy unless they give customers at least one throwaway plastic bag!

Plastic things, sealed in plastic, wrapped in plastic and given to you in a plastic bag........what did we used to do before plastic?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Plastic things, sealed in plastic, wrapped in plastic and given to you in a plastic bag........what did we used to do before plastic?????

Paper bags that bottom fell out 30% of the time if heavy or wet.  Unsealed and often broken items.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This time of year the southwest monsoon blows the plastic waste back towards the beaches and makes a mess. The northeast monsoon, which coincides with the tourist season, blows it all back out to sea and the beaches look cleaner. It is an annual occurrence. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Wrapped it up in old newspaper

• Haha 1

On 6/26/2021 at 7:26 AM, Geoffggi said:

As the saying goes - Nothing common in sensibility especially in this neck of the woods .....

Naa, its plain and simple - human behavior - its something that the majority of us (I hope) wouldn't even think about doing but the minority that do is significant.

It happens all over the world - I've often seen rubbish thrown from cars for example - I've never understood what's so difficult about taking it home and disposing of it properly.  Another example - I was in a McDonalds car park, somewhere where bins are plentiful and never more than a few metres away, when I saw 2 girls open their car door and put their food packaging on the ground.  I just don't get it, how lazy can people be? 

Unfortunately its a fact of life, one that needs to change but it won't until rules are enforced, attitudes change and packaging is given a re-think.  Its a blatant example of why we need a nanny state - some people just don't behave responsibly.

Relating this to attitudes in Thailand - I find it amusing that the 'Cigarette Police' in Bangkok - fine foreigners for throwing down their cigarette butts when there are piles of rotting rubbish all around.  Is that about cleaning the place up or making money? Do they actually care about the rubbish?

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, KhaoYai said:

I've often seen rubbish thrown from cars for example - I've never understood what's so difficult in taking it home and disposing of it properly. 

I see Thais discarding empty plastic bottles from their vehicles almost daily when I am driving to and from work.

15 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

You are running behind, by IMO ( International Maritime Organisation ) regulation it is compulsory for ships to have incinerators on board and burn their garbage while at sea. In port they have to have it collected by official compagnies. This regulation excist since mid 80's and is strictly maintainted and checked by IMO, port authorities and classification societies such as Lloyds, Bureau Veritas, German Loyd, Det Norske Veritas and so on.

Thailand is not a signatory to the IMO.

The Thai culture doesn’t value a clean environment...air land or water...

the kids are not taught and mimic grown ups - throw it anywhere it lands...not my problem

a tragic situation that no one takes responsibility from the individual to companies to the gov...

absolutely no vision to the benefits of a pristine environment...so sad

I think that’s why they take five showers a day....

Really a hopeless situation until there is leadership and a desire to change terrible behavior and attitude 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Not just east Pattaya, impromptu tips pop up all the time far and wide....they might have slowed down on the Railway Line Rd because it is near impassable.

Fly tipping is a Thai national pastime it appears.

Rubbish dumped anywhere and everywhere about the place.

Third World countries without proper waste-management, should not be allowed to use plastic. Western countries should prohibit any plastic wrapped exports to these countries.  A filthy beach and no tourists makes perfect sense, as many tourists have helped to keep the beaches clean. The tourists are not the polluters, as many Thais previously have claimed.

Edited by Xonax

On 6/26/2021 at 12:40 PM, holy cow cm said:

I never understand why anyone dumps garbage into the sea. This is just below common sense and any sight of intelligence.,

Unfortunately intelligence is not a requirement for being human.

In some places it's a detriment apparently.

On 6/26/2021 at 12:36 PM, webfact said:

It appears that it's not the tourists that are the problem - the trash comes from elsewhere and is blown up on the beaches.

Obviously tourists from other nations... no consideration at all to Thailands image.

Why are they surprised? I already saw docu, articles.

Average of 5000000 TON/ year plastics dumped in oceans. Who is doing that?

That is an immense amount. 

There must be countries, companies (mafia's ?) dumping the plastics in the oceans !

At least 5 islands of plastic in the oceans , as big as Texas.

Know some song titles which are indication of this world

"We'r on a road to nowhere" "money, makes the world go round"

We are, as humans the biggest, still growing group and we destroy everything, our home.

It's about time we are going to limit this growth. Now, in my life time, the population trippelt. 

Is /was covid a thing that is set to do this? As wars get more rare.

Wouldnt be surprised.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2021 at 12:40 PM, holy cow cm said:

I never understand why anyone dumps garbage into the sea. This is just below common sense and any sight of intelligence.,

Look at some or most of the inland waters and klongs around Thailand you'll see them filled with plastic and trash.

On 6/26/2021 at 6:58 AM, pokerface1 said:

A little bit of forensic work could solve the problem. For instance check the packaging for the language printed on it to see what country it came from. My guess it printed in Thai but that's just a guess.

Yes, it will be Thai, there casual throw away anywhere attitude is seen along every road and ditch, streets and pathways.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

China contributes the highest share of mismanaged plastic waste with around 28 percent of the global total, followed by 10 percent in Indonesia, 6 percent for both the Philippines and Vietnam. Other leading countries include Thailand (3.2 percent); Egypt (3 percent); Nigeria (2.7 percent) and South Africa (2 percent).

https://ourworldindata.org/plastic-pollution#:~:text=China contributes the highest share,South Africa (2 percent).

That was a great link, and the most telling graphic for me was the barchart showing uncontrolled waste by region.

There ain't no denying that the SE region, including China as a whole becomes the 'hub of garbage'

• Like 2

Trash on beaches.  Tar balls on beaches. 
Go through hell to get here to enjoy what exactly?

Closed businesses, closed entertainment, and beaches which totally suck.  Why are these people coming?  They think New Normal is Old Normal? It's not.  You get Old Normal trashy beaches, mafia, and xenophobia and nothing else to offset the bad experiences.  What's to write home about?