Video: No tourists but some of the beaches in Thailand are filthy with trash

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

It appears that it's not the tourists that are the problem

No shxt Sherlock! 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

had been blown in from the sea

Sure, why not? It could never have been dropped by any of the locals visiting the beaches. No, not those environmentally conscious people... 

Pulling into a beach on the Andamans from the seaward side in the late 90s, we were wondering what all that mass of white stuff at the tideline could possibly be. Turned out it was hundreds/thousands of plastic water bottles that had blown across from Thailand - probably Phuket. 

Garbage travels...

Edited by retsdon
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Live in a condo, central BKK and cannot believe the amount of fast food business ......does no one cook or feed themselves?........Grab and Panda constantly queued outside waiting for people to pick up their orders.

Many many Thais, particularly the younger single ones, live in those blocks of single rooms, with no cooking facilities. They either eat at neighbourhood food stalls or use Grab and Food Panda.

10 hours ago, holy cow cm said:
10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

They don't need to. Just drop it the ditch. The ditch leads to a stream and so on and so forth. Most rubbish in the sea enters it via the rivers and Asia has 6 of the 10 most polluting rivers in the world. So no surprise that it has the most polluted beaches.

I don't litter in anyway and recycle everything and give it to the garbage people to sell.

And whatever they can't sell, they dump on the side of the road or into the river.

Don't get me wrong, I was amazed at the efficiency of the Thai recycling.  First pass went to the apartment staff who would take what they wanted.  Then, the guys driving the garbage truck spread the trash out on the soi and went through it for an hour or so in the wee hours.  Then it got loaded into the hydraulic squasher, and that's where I lost all faith that what was left over would be disposed of responsibly.  Especially when it's more profitable to dump it on the side of the road.

Edited by impulse

6 hours ago, Albert Zweistein said:

You are running behind, by IMO ( International Maritime Organisation ) regulation it is compulsory for ships to have incinerators on board and burn their garbage while at sea. In port they have to have it collected by official compagnies. This regulation excist since mid 80's and is strictly maintainted and checked by IMO, port authorities and classification societies such as Lloyds, Bureau Veritas, German Loyd, Det Norske Veritas and so on.

That might apply to major shipping companies, but there's thousands of fishing vessels and private boats on the oceans at any one time, not sure all of those are equally responsible.

• Like 1

Just now, actonion said:

Not only Beaches are full of  Garbage  most every Soi in East Pattaya is the same

Not just east Pattaya, impromptu tips pop up all the time far and wide....they might have slowed down on the Railway Line Rd because it is near impassable.

I noticed on FB there have quite a few groups doing beach clean ups in Phuket I think the local orbortor should be out there they have the equipment my local one has a couple of JCB's and various trucks could be done in no time,

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

I noticed on FB there have quite a few groups doing beach clean ups in Phuket I think the local orbortor should be out there they have the equipment my local one has a couple of JCB's and various trucks could be done in no time,

They should use the people in jail to work in chain gangs. In Pattaya they do this to keep the sewers running.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

"Swimming close to the shore with my family I was constantly fishing out plastic bags,"

I recall when this happened to me and I freaked out as I thought it was a jellyfish...

Not sure which is worse--jellyfish sting or trash wrapping around your leg.....  

8 hours ago, heybruce said:

Ships dump trash overboard.  Cities dump waste in the ocean.  People use canals and rivers as disposal sites.  Money meant to be used for proper waste collection and disposal goes into the pockets of the corrupt.

agreed..used to work at resort on the beach in vietnam, where we would clean the beach---all the trash from the night fishing boats washed up daily....  ????

20 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I never understand why anyone dumps garbage into the sea.

I think most of it comes from the rivers and land, it just ends up in the sea. I have a klong next to my house in Bangkok, you would be shocked at the plastic waste floating in it, and on the outgoing tide its all pulled into the sea. 

• Like 2