Video: No tourists but some of the beaches in Thailand are filthy with trash

webfact

We live in Bang Pli, in a fairly nice village.

I walk out three or four times a week, and am frankly horrified by the amount of trash in the canal flowing through, and the amount of trash thrown on the side of the access road.

I may be the only farang in the village.

All Thai people doing it, though my wife gave me grief for throwing a bit of chewing gum out the car window.

Two very distinct classes of folk here.

Edited by Kwaibill
Typos
  • Like 1

So if there are no tourist littering, then surely  it's not the Thais!  After all the Thais are taught proper food hygiene, courtesy for one another,  to care of the environment,  how not to spread communicable diseases, proper driving etiquette,  manners, conservation,  and how to raise children.  No way its the Thai people littering the beach!  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, starky said:

Anyone but the Thais

No, not at all,

I am well aware of the way Thais just throw things anywhere.

I think it goes back to the days with food items were wrapped in banana leaves of course, no problem in those days, it reduced, disintegrated and composted. 

They never seem to realize plastic doesn't behave in the same way.

But I have watched documentaries on water pollution in rivers, canals and the seas surrounding the Philippines and they were pretty grim.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

That might apply to major shipping companies, but there's thousands of fishing vessels and private boats on the oceans at any one time, not sure all of those are equally responsible.

Mentioned in the post were passengers ships, fishing ships like in use in the western world also have an IMO registration and are equally responsible. About the ships in Asia I also have my doubts.

12 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Thailand is not a signatory to the IMO.

In the post I reacted to was mentioned passenger ships and to my knowledge the Thai fleet hasn't many of these if any. Besides I see regularly Thai bulkers discharging tapioca here in port and without an IMO registration they are not allowed to enter any decent port.

9 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Think one of the worst offenders was The Philippines.

Indeed - but suspect Thailand is gaining since covid with the amount being used for food delivery currently.  Prior to Covid Thailand was actively trying to reduce.

This is map of Asia where most of the ocean trash comes from.  https://www.openoceans.org/trash-map

image.png.6a3dc0e3b330bd0f2bf25f198f62b68b.png

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

Aha!  I was just testing to see if you were awake in your school geography lessons! ????

But Laos has rivers, you live on several I believe (I was there in 1974 - beautiful place)

3 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

In correct the bag was  free  because I asked them, now it may be  you  have to spend  over 100  baht or something BUT they are FREE

The plastic bag ban will be implemented from 1st January 2020 onwards at 7-11 branches nationwide. As of now, any policies for customers to pay an extra charge for plastic bags has not yet been announced. You can keep up for updates on 7-11 Facebook page, and website. Note that both pages are in Thai.

Coming soon to a store near you.

"Single-use plastics have no place in 7-Eleven's 21st-century retail model." Retail giant 7-Eleven has taken a hard line against single-use plastic, banning outright all free plastic bags, straws and drinks containers from its over 8,000 branches nationwide.Apr 1, 2562 BE

There it is.

On 6/26/2021 at 2:33 PM, realfunster said:

It depresses me when I see a dirty beach, so I sometimes fill a carrier bag or two up with trash that I find.

Done this as far south as Chumphon and various spots all the way around the Gulf of Thailand to Koh Chang. I was particularly OCD at one resort in Koh Chang and filled up 4 cement bags with junk.????

Based on my less than scientific analysis, I estimate the rubbish in the Gulf is 90%+ in Thai script. 

Well done sir !

Take a bow.

I've seen ither foreigners doing this in other places and it restores my faith in humankind.

Good on you !

I am staying near Bangtao beach. I know it's the rainy season, although more sun than rain to be fair, but there's not a huge effort to keep the beach here clean. Lots of trash washing up and being left to pile up.The kids have had oil on their feet 4 times in the past week after playing on the sand - see the attached photo.

I'm not complaining as we choose to be here, but you would think the locals would be doing more to encourage people to come and stay here.

If you were a family and saw the state of the beach in the last week, you should change your plans rather than fly half way round the world. Cornwall's beaches are much cleaner at the moment.

5026.jpg

Edited by Sunderland

22 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Naa, its plain and simple - human behavior - its something that the majority of us (I hope) wouldn't even think about doing but the minority that do is significant.

It happens all over the world - I've often seen rubbish thrown from cars for example - I've never understood what's so difficult about taking it home and disposing of it properly.  Another example - I was in a McDonalds car park, somewhere where bins are plentiful and never more than a few metres away, when I saw 2 girls open their car door and put their food packaging on the ground.  I just don't get it, how lazy can people be? 

Unfortunately its a fact of life, one that needs to change but it won't until rules are enforced, attitudes change and packaging is given a re-think.  Its a blatant example of why we need a nanny state - some people just don't behave responsibly.

Relating this to attitudes in Thailand - I find it amusing that the 'Cigarette Police' in Bangkok - fine foreigners for throwing down their cigarette butts when there are piles of rotting rubbish all around.  Is that about cleaning the place up or making money? Do they actually care about the rubbish?

BKK cigarette police is a scam pure and simple and quite effective. Along Suk provide zero trash receptacles and fines/scams very easy to come by. Unlike Singapore which seems to provide trash cans every 50 meters or so along the heavily traveled business streets.