Can I work as a part time teacher using my WP that was approved for a different job not related to teaching?

Hi

Last month I had a WP approved based on working at my wifes business. We do not have a limited company and she pays tax via her personal name. Ive heard of 2 other cases where a westerner opened a restaurant and was approved for a WP on this same situation. 

My question is… My WP was approved for a marketing role at our business. If the local government school ask me to work part time (sometimes to help them out) I would like to do this if its legal. Is this permissible? If not I don’t want to jeopardise my WP and wont do it if its not allowed. If anyone has any knowledge about this it would be appreciated. 

I read this quote on another thread:
Emergency Decree on Non-Thais’ Working Management (No.2) (2018) Section 28 " a work permit holder may engage in any work that is not specifically prohibited to all foreigners on the 'Official List' of work prohibited to foreigners."

According to an online source "As a consequence, any foreigner who has a work permit in Thailand may now, work anywhere, for anyone, and do any type work, that is not excluded by the Official List."

5 minutes ago, allane said:

To take a second job you need a letter of approval from your first employer, which should not be hard to get in this instance.

Thanks for your reply. Who is the letter for? Show to labor dept or to the school? 

Is your info 100% accurate? 

thanks

38 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I would definitely suggest that before you undertake any additional work, that you trot down to your local immigration office and get their official thumbs up of approval first. Better to be safe than sorry.

immigration office or go to labor dept? Which one?

Ast the Government School. and if they say yes you can then get a letter from them stating that you are allowed. That way you are covered because they are a Government school and definitely should know the law on this situation 

• Haha 1

On 6/27/2021 at 1:27 PM, darksidedog said:

I would definitely suggest that before you undertake any additional work, that you trot down to your local immigration office and get their official thumbs up of approval first. Better to be safe than sorry.

Immigration has ZERO to do with you working.

Get the letter from your wife and, iirc, a contract along with the usual paperwork from the school for a wp. Bring your wife and a school rep down to the labor dept. and they will add the new work location to your wp.

ETA: 2nd option is have the school sign a contract with your wife for your "Weekly Seminars". No wp modifications necessary. ????

Edited by mrwebb8825

On 6/29/2021 at 3:19 AM, mrwebb8825 said:

Immigration has ZERO to do with you working.

Get the letter from your wife and, iirc, a contract along with the usual paperwork from the school for a wp. Bring your wife and a school rep down to the labor dept. and they will add the new work location to your wp.

ETA: 2nd option is have the school sign a contract with your wife for your "Weekly Seminars". No wp modifications necessary. ????

Im interested in this topic. In the above situation, if one takes the wife and rep from the school to add the new work location to the WP..... is the WP still valid for the original job at the wifes business. In other words, can one have multiple jobs running on 1 WP? thanks

15 hours ago, bbabythai said:

Im interested in this topic. In the above situation, if one takes the wife and rep from the school to add the new work location to the WP..... is the WP still valid for the original job at the wifes business. In other words, can one have multiple jobs running on 1 WP? thanks

they don't classify it as multiple jobs but as added locations doing the same job. The wife would simply be acting as a sort of agent. The law was changed a few years back. A couple of schools I taught at "loaned" me out to "Sister" schools. I was never directly paid by the sister school. They paid my school.