Possible Covid insurance for OA extension.

To Joe and others..

I need to extend my OA visa on 16th July.. all my ducks hopefully are set up in a row... but..I just had a ph call from my friendly

Local imm office suggestion I come in a.s.a.p as the coming up meeting in Bkk next week will  possibly  make 3m bht covid insurance compulsory as of date of meeting. Just letting you know what I was told from my imm office.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am not sure I would panic over the phone call.

There is a committee working on some changes approved in concept by the cabinet. It will be some time before anything is made formal and approved by the cabinet and then new immigration orders and etc would need to be done.

My stay until is mid August Joe. How soon can I go to renew my parental visa before the stay until date?

They didn't mention parental visas in their initial release but I was originally on an OA visa.

Will the insurance apply to me and will it likely be passed before I go and apply for renewal / extension? 

26 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

My stay until is mid August Joe. How soon can I go to renew my parental visa before the stay until date?

You can apply for your extension of stay (it is not a visa) up to 30 day early at most offices and 45 days at others.

27 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

They didn't mention parental visas in their initial release but I was originally on an OA visa.

Will the insurance apply to me and will it likely be passed before I go and apply for renewal / extension? 

You do not require insurance for a extension based upon being the parent of a Thai.

32 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for your extension of stay (it is not a visa) up to 30 day early at most offices and 45 days at others.

You do not require insurance for a extension based upon being the parent of a Thai.

I mean the proposed Covid insurance not the mandatory medical insurance for retirees. They initially listed mandatory 3 mill baht covid insurance for retirement, marriage, work visas but didn't mention parental. Now the narrative seems to be broadly OA visas. I am on a parental extension of an OA visa.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I mean the proposed Covid insurance not the mandatory medical insurance for retirees. They initially listed mandatory 3 mill baht covid insurance for retirement, marriage, work visas but didn't mention parental. Now the narrative seems to be broadly OA visas. I am on a parental extension of an OA visa.

Most of the first info that came out was wrong. It is only for those with OA visas or extensions of one for covid 19 as well.

It will certainly not apply for you.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Most of the first info that came out was wrong. It is only for those with OA visas or extensions of one for covid 19 as well.

It will certainly not apply for you.

I am on an OA visa extension?

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am perplexed by the variety actions  at different IMOs. Immigration laws and rules set by the Government are National requirements, why, "You can apply for your extension of stay (it is not a visa) up to 30 day early at most offices and 45 days at others."  Perhaps there exists in Thai Law a degree of amelioration allowed by Government employees when implementing them.

11 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I am on an OA visa extension?

No your not. You are on a extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. That clause if the immigration order for extensions does not state insurance is required.

Only a extension of stay based upon retirement requires insurance if you entered the country on a OA visa.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

No your not. You are on a extension of stay based upon being the parent of a Thai. That clause if the immigration order for extensions does not state insurance is required.

Only a extension of stay based upon retirement requires insurance if you entered the country on a OA visa.

I'm sorry Joe but are you talking about normal health insurance or the new proposed Covid insurance. I am asking about the 3 million covid insurance they are proposing now for OA extensions

5 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I'm sorry Joe but are you talking about normal health insurance or the new proposed Covid insurance. I am asking about the 3 million covid insurance they are proposing now for OA extensions

The only thing confirmed is OA visas that could end up being only for entry to the country for the covid 19 insurance. It is all unknown at this time and it may be months until the final version is known.

Unless they change the clause of the immigration order for extensions based upon being married to a Thai or being the parent of Thai it will not be required.