Does Chon Buri (Jomtien) Require Proof of 800k?

Yes if they give you the form letter demanding that at the time of extension. If not, I would not do it.

But the financial requirement remains regardless.

In other words if you show up for your next extension and they see you violated the rule your extension will be denied. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, MasterBaker said:

is Jomtien some kind of immigration sandbox? why would it not be required at one particular office? just asking, what's the reason for the question, mate?

In fact 15/20 years ago Pattaya immigration was much "cooler" than other immigration offices..

Totally changed now..!!

• Like 1

At Chonburi, I didn't bother going back to prove bank balance after extending my OA and had no problems with the following extension.  Just make sure you take a 12 month bank statement, the bank letter, copies of every page in your bank passbook(s), and the original passbook(s). 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

At Chonburi, I didn't bother going back to prove bank balance after extending my OA and had no problems with the following extension.  Just make sure you take a 12 month bank statement, the bank letter, copies of every page in your bank passbook(s), and the original passbook(s). 

Chonburi (Pattaya) is one of a few that require you to return after 90 days to show proof you kept the 800k on deposit for the entire period.  BUT, they do apparently do not keep any record of who is required to do the report OR of those that do report.  Thus, they have no way of knowing whether you complied with their 90 day financial reporting. 

They will require you show your passbook at your next renewal to show all transactions since your previous applications to verify the 800k was on deposit those 3 months and for 2 months before the renewal application & that the balance never went below 400k for all months in between.  If you drop below these thresholds even by 1 baht, no further extension will be granted.

• Like 2

Been required at Jomtien selectively over the last 3 years from memory. Last 3 extensions they arsked for a bank balance check 3 months later twice. Must say though the paperwork is more formal now. Three yearts ago you just turned up, showed them the book and you were done. Now they want copies of passport, visa etc etc. No biggy, but I think its here to stay.

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Yes.

I did my renewal last month and was handed an appointment slip for 19th August.

Same for me.

When I asked for a receipt or stamp after completing the proof appointment she said it was in their computer but they don't provide a receipt or stamp. She said "Don't worry if there is any problem we can confirm again from your bank book". 

I believe the appointment to confirm helps keep things very clear - but it is not a legal requirement as long as you can later prove that the financial requirement (800k  balance) has been met.  What if I lost my bank book...? er no idea.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wuvu2 said:

Same for me.

When I asked for a receipt or stamp after completing the proof appointment she said it was in their computer but they don't provide a receipt or stamp. She said "Don't worry if there is any problem we can confirm again from your bank book". 

I believe the appointment to confirm helps keep things very clear - but it is not a legal requirement as long as you can later prove that the financial requirement (800k  balance) has been met.  What if I lost my bank book...? er no idea.

If you loose your bank book you need to go to the police station to report it lost. With the confirmation letter from the police the bank can issue a replacement bank book with all past transactions. 

19 minutes ago, Thalueng said:

If you loose your bank book you need to go to the police station to report it lost. With the confirmation letter from the police the bank can issue a replacement bank book with all past transactions. 

Are you sure about "All past transactions?" The last time I went into a branch to have my bank book updated they could only print the past 90 days of activity, and said there wasn't any way to print prior transactions. They said I could order bank statements going back further - but i'd have to request that in person at the branch where I opened the account.  

Edited by Wuvu2

3 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Been required at Jomtien selectively over the last 3 years from memory. Last 3 extensions they arsked for a bank balance check 3 months later twice. Must say though the paperwork is more formal now. Three yearts ago you just turned up, showed them the book and you were done. Now they want copies of passport, visa etc etc. No biggy, but I think its here to stay.

All you guys with your 800,000Bt in the bank, why do you put up with all this nonsense from immigration every year, use a reputable agent, even Thaivisa itself has an agent you can use.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Not sure if this can be added to conversation or if I need to start new topic. Question regarding proof of funds origin

Non O Retirement Extension: I’ve deposited in excess of 100,000 each month for last 11 months 12 deposit next 

week. From US bank to Bangkok Bank Thailand. 

- I’ve ordered copy of 12 month statement 

I’m being told that at least Udon Thani IO now requires letter from US Embassy concerning source if pension, employment etc. For Non O Retirement Extension. 

Now with less than a week before Extension is due its near

impossible for me to travel from UT to BKK to Embassy. 

Love the country but the ever changing rule changes are 

a bit annoying ... 

Luckily I’ve grown a little patience over the years..  Another country few years back change after change..  I told the officer just reach in my pocket and take whatever you want..

- - - - four letter words.., Thanks hopefully someone knows

if it’s now a requirement..

Frustrating tick all the boxes and oh by the way another box...

5 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

I’m being told that at least Udon Thani IO now requires letter from US Embassy concerning source if pension, employment etc. For Non O Retirement Extension. 

That would not be possible to get since the embassy will not issue such a document or even allow you to do a affidavit.

Do you have any proof from the SSA or a private pension plan or a retirement savings plan. If you have originals to show them and supply copies of them they should be accepted.

Does Chon Buri (Jomtien) Require Proof of 800k?

Think of Thai Immigration as being a collection of franchises (something like 7/11s) rather than one organization with uniform and consistent ways of doing business.

Most of the franchises follow most of the same rules but there are exceptions. You’re essential at the mercy of the franchise in your neighborhood.

If you don’t like the way your neighborhood franchise does something….there are sometimes agents who can persuade them to accommodate you.  

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Because they prefer to do the extension the correct way instead of having it done under the table.

Hello Ubonjoe.. 

The money is paid monthly from company in US direct deposit to my US bank. I can pull up statements from 

US bank showing payments first week of every month for 30 years. But as you’ve  said US Embassy won’t/ can’t verify... 

So I’ll give it a try with back up paperwork and see how it

goes..

Thanks for timely reply....

I did my retirement visa in May   and got the page telling me when to come back with my "Updated" bank book to show that I still had the "800,000"  in the bank.   So I went back on the date that my paper said was required and showed my bankbook / papers   etc. etc.    and the lady said "OK"   I never got any kind of receipt or paper that could show that I had compiled with their requirements .    She just looked at my bank book / papers   and said "OK"  and sent me out the door .  I find it odd that I didn't get some sort of proof that I was there .  

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 6:45 AM, Skeptic7 said:

I agree with your point and years ago thought same as you, but this is Thailand...Land of Confusion and Inconsistently. Every IO in Thailand makes or enforces the rules as they interpret or sees fit. Even down to individual officers at the same office. ZERO consistency.

Noticed years ago that whenever a general question, such as this, which should be same everywhere, was asked without specifying which IO, the very first question from those in the know was...WHICH IMMIGRATION OFFICE? Drove me insane too. 

Absolutely correct and the request for showing again the 800K after 3 months is random....

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 2:12 PM, sangtip2 said:

I did my retirement visa in May   and got the page telling me when to come back with my "Updated" bank book to show that I still had the "800,000"  in the bank.   So I went back on the date that my paper said was required and showed my bankbook / papers   etc. etc.    and the lady said "OK"   I never got any kind of receipt or paper that could show that I had compiled with their requirements .    She just looked at my bank book / papers   and said "OK"  and sent me out the door .  I find it odd that I didn't get some sort of proof that I was there .  

Yeah, there is no receipt.

I got a bit more than OK when it turned it in.

I got a GOOD.

I think that my paperwork might have been unusually perfect.

Kind of like getting a gold star sticker in grade school, but less than that.