Enrolling for Moderna Vaccine * Price does not include doctors fees in case of additional consultation or treatment

Thomas J

Now perhaps it is the cynic in me or the fact that during my 72 years I have seen too many baited hooks but I noticed this disclaimer on the hospital website for the 3,400 baht fee for two Moderna jabs.  Is there any likelihood that "consultation" will not be mandatory by the hospitals thereby allowing them to charge an undisclosed Doctors Fee after you have paid your 3,400 non-refundable deposit for the Moderna vaccine. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, poskat said:

all this is is them saying that any problems/side effects you get from the vaccine will be treated at the patient's cost, not as part of the vaccination fee

Well today it has been announced that there will be a 1,200 baht fee for providing the vaccine by the hospitals. 

The idea that somehow you interpreted that means any side effects are extra cost is a stretch.  When you go in for a vaccine for the flu do they put in the price list on their website of 800 baht a similar disclaimer that it does not include any doctors fees or expenses from a negative reaction.  No.   They were simply giving themselves the "fine print" so that when you got to the hospital after paying your 3,400 baht you could not refute the fact that they told you that it did not include all of the expenses. 

• Confused 1

There is no way I would pay the full price for a vaccine that is not guaranteed to appear sometime in October if it were a 20% deposit then the gamble would be worth it but not full payment that like going into a car showroom and paying the full amount yet the vehicle has not even left the factory where it is being assembled they must think we’re all a bunch of fools !!!!!

Edited by crazykopite
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

There is no way I would pay the full price for a vaccine that is not guaranteed to appear sometime in October if it were a 20% deposit then the gamble would be worth it but not full payment that like going into a car showroom and paying the full amount yet the vehicle has not even left the factory where it is being assembled they must think we’re all a bunch of fools !!!!!

Even if you are willing to pay you might still not be able to enrol. This morning at 09:30 am I tried to do this at the Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya but it was already fully booked.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

Yes, but a car dealership isn't ordering from a bunch of guys who couldn't organise a cocktail party in a distillery. The hospital will submit their orders to the PHA I think, and the PHA will submit that order, along with many others presumably, to the GPO. The GPO will send a request to the DDA, MoPH, ABC, 123 or whatever, and they will try and get the doses off the government's procurement process. The government CLAIMS they have "secured" 5m doses of Moderna, 3.9m of which are scheduled for delivery this year. The rest next.

So yes, maybe 1200 THB worth of lottery tickets would be a better bet. YMMV!

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, ottoemil said:

Even if you are willing to pay you might still not be able to enrol. This morning at 09:30 am I tried to do this at the Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya but it was already fully booked.

this strange and getting stranger.  we read on TVF for two straight days that this new program for private hospitals was for them to begin accepting prepayment of 3400 baht for two Moderna jabs, which included in what I read was 30 min of nurse observation after the jabs plus insurance to cover any side effects of the jabs.  BUT looking at those comments of people that actually had some contact with private hospitals then I guess this is all a misunderstanding by the hospitals or the private hospitals' association.  The program was to run until 31 July when they would order the number of vaccines "already" paid for and those would be here they said for 1 October 2021 jabbing.  Must just be

another lame-brain idea that someone with no power to follow through to actual fruition.  Good luck to all successful in getting jabs of sinovac.  Friends of my wife indicate that they got their free jabs from the French government already (they are French ex-pats living here) 

7 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Yes, but a car dealership isn't ordering from a bunch of guys who couldn't organise a cocktail party in a distillery.

You are correct however is the incompetence real or just for show.  In other words is Thailand being covertly coerced into taking Sinovac by default.   If I want to encourage Sinovac and by default discourage the other vaccines because of being coerced, or bribed I want to create the façade, that disguises that motive.  I want to present that I am moving heaven and earth to get Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson while all the time really slow walking the process.   There is absolutely no reason why any of the hospitals should have "closed" their registration for alternative vaccines.  If 5 million were requested, order 5 million.  If 10 million doses were required then order 10 million.  That is not to say that all the the vaccines would be delivered at the same time.  It you order 20 million doses and they come in batches of 1 million doses than just call the people who have signed up in the same order that they registered.  Closing the queue only heightens my suspicion that they really will provide only a smattering of alternative vaccines hoping you will get tired of the wait and take what is coming from China. 

• Sad 1

to me, i think IF the government would have set it that the jab can be done without the mandatory requirement of X or Y additional services, then that would have been better.

But, I do think that there is a *potential* issue of a hospital effectively making an “additional consultation” being an implicit additional step - thus charge, a real risk.

I would have preferred the government made it that the jab MUST be offered at X price, and only at X price - all in - and without any additional charges/fees/services being required to obtain said jab at X price.  

4 hours ago, Thomas J said:

Well today it has been announced that there will be a 1,200 baht fee for providing the vaccine by the hospitals. 

you are conflating two different things. The price to the hospitals is 1,100 baht per dose. the hospitals are adding a fee, including the evaluation/consultation to ensure that the patient fits the criteria for them to jab you. so the 1,200 (actually 1,300 by western math) that is mentioned is baked into the 3,400 fee

the heading of this topic is about additional consultation/treatment, the key word being additional, i.e. post-injection issues.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

You are correct however is the incompetence real or just for show.  In other words is Thailand being covertly coerced into taking Sinovac by default.   If I want to encourage Sinovac and by default discourage the other vaccines because of being coerced, or bribed I want to create the façade, that disguises that motive.  I want to present that I am moving heaven and earth to get Pfizer, Moderna, Johnson & Johnson while all the time really slow walking the process.   There is absolutely no reason why any of the hospitals should have "closed" their registration for alternative vaccines.  If 5 million were requested, order 5 million.  If 10 million doses were required then order 10 million.  That is not to say that all the the vaccines would be delivered at the same time.  It you order 20 million doses and they come in batches of 1 million doses than just call the people who have signed up in the same order that they registered.  Closing the queue only heightens my suspicion that they really will provide only a smattering of alternative vaccines hoping you will get tired of the wait and take what is coming from China. 

You have to stop thinking so much! Well, that would be my advice anyway.

1 hour ago, Presnock said:

this strange and getting stranger.  we read on TVF for two straight days that this new program for private hospitals was for them to begin accepting prepayment of 3400 baht for two Moderna jabs, which included in what I read was 30 min of nurse observation after the jabs plus insurance to cover any side effects of the jabs.  BUT looking at those comments of people that actually had some contact with private hospitals then I guess this is all a misunderstanding by the hospitals or the private hospitals' association.  The program was to run until 31 July when they would order the number of vaccines "already" paid for and those would be here they said for 1 October 2021 jabbing.  Must just be

another lame-brain idea that someone with no power to follow through to actual fruition.  Good luck to all successful in getting jabs of sinovac.  Friends of my wife indicate that they got their free jabs from the French government already (they are French ex-pats living here) 

Exactly 280 Fr. Nationals got the J&J injection yesterday in Pattaya B.H. ( 30/06/2021 ), continuing further 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poskat said:

you are conflating two different things

You could be correct however it was far from clear on the Bangkok Hospital Website announcing the sign up.  Since they have already discontinued the program, I can no longer look at the exact wording.  However my recollection talked about additional consultation with no mention of it being post injection.  My inference was that there would be potentially some pre consultation prior to signing up for the Moderna.  As mentioned a mute point.  One other site reported the site was shut down at 12;30 am last night after a total of 60 people signed up.  

Don't know if the post is totally accurate but one thing for sure is, you no longer can sign up. 

6 hours ago, Thomas J said:

I fail to see your point.

The way I see it is that the government will get the Moderna vaccine for 1,100 baht per shot, that's 2,200 and that is what they charge the private hospitals, the private hospitals then charge you 3,400 baht, that's 1,200 baht more, e.g. 600 baht per shots.

That sounds fair to me, after all, they have admin staff and nurses to pay, suffice to say, just to fix a car tyre (flat) today it cost me 150 baht, so I really don't see what this 1,200 baht has to do with the price apart from them administering it, hospitals are a business and they have big overheads, so the cost of 3,400 baht is an all inclusive charge, i.e. for the Moderna and administering the shots.

I would imagine in any hospital if you got vaccinated for anything and then later had some kind of problems, of course you would pay to see the doctor as an extra, this price is for the vaccine and the jab, everything is else would be on top of that.

1,700 baht per shot is cheap, my Pneumonia jab and booster cost me in the mid 2,000's each time at a private hospital, saw the Dr briefly each time, quick chat, then the nurse took over and stuck it to me, but not the way I wanted it ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I fail to see your point.

Well perhaps the hospitals were not clear or I am misunderstanding.  I "thought" the fee of 3,400 baht was suppose to be all inclusive.  Now there is mention of a 1,200 baht fee.  Specifically the Bangkok Hospital sign up had a disclaimer that it did not include any required doctors consultation with no mention of whether that meant prior to receiving the shot or as some have suggested following the shot with some adverse effects.   I find it strange that the hospital would put such a disclaimer on if the fee was indeed wrapped up in the 3,400 baht charge.  That is like saying come in for a physical costing 1,000 baht and then put a disclaimer that it does not include any doctors fee and having the hospital mean doctors fees if you later came back. 

13 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Well perhaps the hospitals were not clear or I am misunderstanding. 

It appears you did misunderstand.

13 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I "thought" the fee of 3,400 baht was suppose to be all inclusive. 

That is it, no more.

Anything after that is at your cost, suffice to say if you don't need to see the Dr, it's 3,400 baht for both visits and both jabs.

When you go into pay it, you can confirm this.

I paid 3,800 baht before they reduced it to 3,400 baht, the cost might change till then, but if it remains, they will refund me the difference. 

Let's just hope we get to October, get both jabs and avoid getting Covid....EVER.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Guess you won't be vaccinated with Moderna then.

Just now, 4MyEgo said:

That is it, no more.

Anything after that is at your cost, suffice to say if you don't need to see the Dr, it's 3,400 baht for both visits and both jabs

Thank you for the clarification.  Again, I just thought it odd that they would put that disclaimer on the sign up saying it did not include any necessary doctor visits or testing.   It would seem obvious that if you were required to come back because of a negative reaction you would have to pay.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

Thank you for the clarification.  Again, I just thought it odd that they would put that disclaimer on the sign up saying it did not include any necessary doctor visits or testing.   It would seem obvious that if you were required to come back because of a negative reaction you would have to pay.  

I suppose they are crossing their T's and dotting their i's.

Who knows what some people might come up with, oh, not feeling well, got vaccinated yesterday, need to see the Dr and o spend a week in hospital, what do you mean that is extra, um it's in the fine print, that's why we put it in there, you only paid for the product and the injection by the nurse, the Dr is extra as is the hospital stay, we don't guarantee Moderna so up to you, take it or don't, solly no refund too.

That's what it's all about, e.g. car is as is, air con is extra as are the power windows and it doesn't come with more than 1/4 tank of fuel, all in the fine print.

Best of luck, and hopefully you don't need to see the Dr, at least if you do, then you know you are paying for an additional service which is not included in the purchase of the product and the injection.

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I suppose they are crossing their T's and dotting their i's.

Maybe but there is no such similar disclaimer for their other online promotions including vaccines for the flu.   

If they wish to cross their t's and dot their i's it should be with a signature acknowledging at the time of injection that the fee only included that service and not any follow up in the event of a negative reaction. 

One way or another it is a mute point now.  The site apparently closed at 12:30 am last night when it has been reported a grand total of 60 people had paid for their Moderna reservation. 

I don't know if the number is true, but I do know the site no longer lists reservations and it was reportedly suppose to stay available through the end of July. 

Maybe they thought better of the possibility that those who paid would just sit and wait indefinitely for the Moderna vaccine and shun getting vaccinated sooner with the available Sincovac.  Just another example of the flip flopping start and stop programs here in Thailand.  

Regarding the above comments about the stupidity of paying for this in advance (I reject those comments). . . I just got my SMS from my hospital inviting me to pay for the Moderna vaccine for me my wife and kids (we already have a confirmed booking, we were one of the first). I immediately went to the website to complete the process, but the website is crashed from the weight of traffic. The site comes up briefly for a few seconds, and then goes into a reboot cycle again (I know the signs, I work on Linux servers daily). . .

One thing you can be sure about, they will sell every single dose. For me, the cost of this for my family is an insignificant price to pay to get us back towards some form of normality. We are already due to get Sinopharm doses well ahead of our Moderna booking through our employer, but I'm paying for the Moderna doses anyway, we will mix and match with boosters. For me, the money is nothing, at any price, and I believe most people with the means to pay are taking this approach.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

Thonburi group, on Line TMG is accepting deposits.

It is 1,200 per shot so 2,400 deposit for 2 shots. 

In addition it says you will pay no more than 500 baht when you get each shot.

There is an option to pay for only 1 shot.

It also says in all the junk that they want you to agree to, all in Thai, that if the shot gets delayed too long you can get your money back.

11 hours ago, rwill said:

Thonburi group, on Line TMG is accepting deposits.

It is 1,200 per shot so 2,400 deposit for 2 shots. 

In addition it says you will pay no more than 500 baht when you get each shot.

There is an option to pay for only 1 shot.

It also says in all the junk that they want you to agree to, all in Thai, that if the shot gets delayed too long you can get your money back.

Yes, I got this offer too. Similar to Bangpakok.

Based on my cursory review after yesterday's explosion, there are many, many different packages and many, many different pre-/partial-payment schemes.

I've seen as little as 1,200 for a hard-queue/deposit, all the way up to 3,400 (2 shots, all inclusive). Not sure when the additional payment is due on those deposit plans, I chose the full payment route.

Refunds are seen in some terms and conditions.

As my doctor told me ~ 6 months ago, expect Moderna or Pfizer in the 4th quarter, at 6,500 (maximum) all in.  I bumped into him a few weeks ago and he is still sticking with view. 

3,400 is fine with me, and it is fully transferrable as well. 

I'd pay the same to the government for AZ, but alas, intervac remains in a coma.

Has anyone had any success paying for a Moderna booking today July 2?

After getting a 1 hour placeholder que in Cloudfare, and finally entering in the booking confirmation number and pressing 'Serach' (assuming they mean 'search' ), it says 'Cannot do the transaction at this time. Please try again later'.  Repeat...

5 minutes ago, Gold Star said:

Has anyone had any success paying for a Moderna booking today July 2?

I suspect that most plans are fully enrolled, and/or most websites are suffering from overload.

Hospitals/hospital groups are probably reviewing their enrollments/payments today, to insure they don't take in more than they can reasonably expect to deliver.

I took me the better part of 12 hours yesterday to work through to payment, and invoice receipt, with a single desired facility.

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I suspect that most plans are fully enrolled, and/or most websites are suffering from overload.

Hospitals/hospital groups are probably reviewing their enrollments/payments today, to insure they don't take in more than they can reasonably expect to deliver.

I took me the better part of 12 hours yesterday to work through to payment, and invoice receipt, with a single desired facility.

Thanks. For the one I am trying, today is the first day they are taking payments. I'm not sure if pressing search over and over within the site is helping, or if I must get in the 1 hour que again and start over. I'm using 2 phones, an iPad and a computer with 3 browsers for the best chance of one of the devices getting through. Going to be a long day I guess.