All smiles in Phuket but Thailand's darkest day yet reveals the reality of ongoing Covid crisis

webfact

As if things cannot get worse It was just announced that Siam Bioscience will be able to give Thailand with only 5 million vaccines a month so that they can supply other Asian countries with promised vaccines. This will create a shortage of 25 million vaccines as they were supposed to supply 10 million a month from July through November, before reverting back to 5 million.

• Haha 1

And for all those from the UK that want to come and play in the sandbox, it maybe a bit hard as unless you have been in a green or yellow country for 21 days your out of Luck. UK is now on Thailand’s RED list.

Though cannot fathom how Russia did not make the RED list as well, as they had similar mean number of new cases.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

But the reality behind the messages of hope and songs for the future was entirely different. 

The country suffered its worst number of Covid-19 cases AND deaths in a single day. The pandemic was out of control, by some accounts.

A deputy at the public health ministry said Bangkok was in crisis and more doctors were needed to save lives.

Speaks volumes about the government,

Bangkok is crumbling and they put on a brave smile and think a wai a a handful of tourists are going to save the nation.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, grain said:

Is that photo at Phuket airport and them welcoming the first group of sandbox tourists? If so that woman giving the wai is Thai, the man standing behind her looks Thai as well. There was a report yesterday that one of the passengers on the flight was unvaccinated. There's no way an unvaccinated farang got on that flight, so it was a returning Thai. I suspect all these sandbox tourists were returning Thais and expats with wives/partners/homes in Thailand. Were there any bona fide tourists at all? 

OH, yes there was he was taken away by 2 police and 2 nurses to be tested for covid the 3th time  he told them he was vaccinated and had no money left?? where is the ATM

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Digital Environment and Society minister Chaiwut Thanakhamanusorn who had traveled on Vietjet VZ 314 from Suvarnabhumi to Phuket was forced to go into 14 day quarantine on the island after being close to someone who tested positive for Covid.

Just gets better and better.

22 hours ago, webfact said:

As Prayuth tried to put a brave face on the mess with a Facebook post outlining a "Better Today" further bad news hit.

What ever planet you are from Prayuth may i suggest you go back there and hide under your rock. everyday is getting worse, deaths rising daily. You just keep on the fiddle while steering the Thaitanic into the abyss.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2021 at 7:37 AM, RichardColeman said:

51 ? Anyone know if 51 people would cover the airline flight costs of the carrier ? 

I don't know for sure but my guess is no it won't. I've read several articles about the break even level of passenger numbers and it varies based on a lot of factors. I don't think this is a new problem. When I returned to the UK at the end of September with Gulf Air on a Boeing 787 and I think there were only 9 or 10 people on the flight from BKK to Bahrain. On the sector to London there were more but with a 3-3-3 configuration no middle seats were used so even then they were probably losing money. I don't think business class had many in it either. It's probably a chicken and egg situation. If you don't have flights then nobody will fly and if they don't fly then there's no point in flying a plane. I would assume they're hoping this might just be a slow start. If it stays slow then there's a problem.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

And for all those from the UK that want to come and play in the sandbox, it maybe a bit hard as unless you have been in a green or yellow country for 21 days your out of Luck. UK is now on Thailand’s RED list.

Though cannot fathom how Russia did not make the RED list as well, as they had similar mean number of new cases.

I'd not heard that. Mind you even Thailand is on Thailand's red list now isn't it?

22 hours ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

I can't find the list at the moment but I'll keep looking as I've found it before. If anyone has a link it would help.

1 minute ago, kimamey said:

I can't find the list at the moment but I'll keep looking as I've found it before. If anyone has a link it would help.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/uploads/ckeditor2//files/จัดกลุ่มประเทศตามความเสี่ยง กรมควบคุมโรค .pdf

that should help.

4 minutes ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

Thanks for that. There's the usual Thai obsession with mixing languages. Usually it's English headings and then just Thai but I think I can work it out although Thailand was listed as high risk but it's not even on there now. Assuming this isn't a "misunderstanding" that's bad news. 

My plans keep changing. I was going to use it with my wife joining me for part of it but because she would have to quarantine at home for 14 days that plan is out as she needs to work. I did say that I might end up just going anyway and staying on my own just to get back but it looks as if that's a no go as well now. I might end up in a Bangkok hotel for 15 nights. I don't think there's the same restriction for that.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kimamey said:

Thanks for that. There's the usual Thai obsession with mixing languages. Usually it's English headings and then just Thai but I think I can work it out although Thailand was listed as high risk but it's not even on there now. Assuming this isn't a "misunderstanding" that's bad news. 

My plans keep changing. I was going to use it with my wife joining me for part of it but because she would have to quarantine at home for 14 days that plan is out as she needs to work. I did say that I might end up just going anyway and staying on my own just to get back but it looks as if that's a no go as well now. I might end up in a Bangkok hotel for 15 nights. I don't think there's the same restriction for that.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/dcd/pagecontent.php?page=606&dept=dcd

this is the link for when they update it on the 1st and 16th of each month. The sun ???? with new, highlights the latest one.

• Thanks 1

are the returnees expats or tourists? if   they are  expats or family members then all the roadblocks put in place for entering Thailand  means the much touted "reopening" is not/will not occur

3 minutes ago, Advocatus Diaboli said:

https://ddc.moph.go.th/dcd/pagecontent.php?page=606&dept=dcd

this is the link for when they update it on the 1st and 16th of each month. The sun ???? with new, highlights the latest one.

Looking at the previous one Thailand is high risk but it's not on any list now. Maybe they thought that didn't make sense.

2 minutes ago, gim12 said:

are the returnees expats or tourists? if   they are  expats or family members then all the roadblocks put in place for entering Thailand  means the much touted "reopening" is not/will not occur

It looks as if it's Thais and expats mainly. It does seem to be the case that unless they live in Phuket they will have to quarantine at home for 14 days. If you live here I don't suppose that's too much of a problem. Then again how much will they police it. As I've posted elsewhere my wife's director can no longer go home to see his wife in Chanthaburi because from what we can tell he would need to quarantine for 14 days when he gets there and again when he returns. However there's someone who goes home every weekend to Khon Kaen and returns to Mahasarakham without any quarantine. 

• Like 2

Hey brommers,  thanks for the information. I hope that some of these more than half empty flights are also hauling

freight to Phuket, to help with the costs of their expenses, or this is an exercise in how to go bankrupt for 

all involved.  The next few months will tell the story of this sand box, and the other efforts to restart Thailand s

tourism. Time will tell, just how successful Phuket will be.    Having some people arrive to Phuket infected, and 

having to be quarantined, is not a good start.  Letting some person on a flight that has not been vaccinated

was pretty unwise as well, but again TIT.

Geezer