Phuket on alert after airline passenger from Bangkok found infected with COVID-19

webfact

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

ALL the negative tests ?? You mean one Pre-Flight test. 

If I’m not mistaken, its possible for the virus to remain unbeatable for 5 days.

Thus: It may not have been picked up on the Pre-Flight Covid-19 tests (for international or non-vaccinated passengers), but was picked up on the test on arrival.

(Or the test on arrival is a false positive). 

Its also possible that a vaccinated person can still carry the virus (i.e. Sinivac 50%)

The SandBox is never going to be water tight.... there will be imported cases, it will be impossible to eliminate risk. 

The objectives of the Phuket SandBox seem pretty obvious - to see if travel can open up while ‘managing’ Covid instead of killing off the economy while trying kill off Covid, which is an impossibility. 

You need a test that show negative that is not older than 72 hrs before arrival... So 5 days is 120 hrs. And than the test on arrival... Sure nothing is water tight, but how can you fly from  BKK to Phuket with Covid than??

Blooming ek.... There are some small minds on this forum.... 

The SandBox is an experiment, one operating with the understanding that the virus cannot be eliminated, but it can be managed and lived with in much the same way we do with influenza in the the West.

A lot of posters seem to think that the identification of one Positive test indicates imminent total failure.

Some forum members  seem to be looking so hard for or even hoping for failure they fail to see the forest for the trees.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

You need a test that show negative that is not older than 72 hrs before arrival... So 5 days is 120 hrs. And than the test on arrival... Sure nothing is water tight, but how can you fly from  BKK to Phuket with Covid than??

I can explain it for you, but I can’t understand it for you..... 

International arrivals: 

Day 1 PCR test 

Day 2 Result

Day 3 Flight to Phuket

Day 4 Arrival in Phuket and arrival PCR Test 

In this case it is possible that the Passenger was exposed to the SARS-CoV-2 Virus on day Zero, in which case it may or may not have been picked up on the Arrival test. 

Domestic passengers: 

Just need the vaccine, no need for the Covid test before travelling: 

SinoVac has a 50% efficacy, thus, IF exposed to SARS-CoV-2 some of those could carrying the virus into Phuket. 

IF not vaccinated, domestic 

This is the purpose of having a 70% vaccination, IF the virus does slip through, it can be tracked, traced, slowed down and controlled such that the R number (transmission rate) is less than 1.

The key issue is that sinovac has a relatively poor efficacy (still better than nothing if nothing else is available), however, it just means reduced prevention of transmission. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

How is it possible with all the negative tests they have to bring before flying?? 

If it was a flight from BKK, it wasn't an international passenger and had nothing to do with the Sandbox.  The only requirement for local travel to Phuket is a 7 day old (or newer) negative test or vaccination.  If it's AZ, only the first jab is required. 

Local travel is people who have already been in Thailand, including foreigners.  If the Phuket sandbox fails due to an outbreak, it won't be from international travelers who need to be fully vaccinated and repeatedly tested.  They're the least risky people in all of Thailand.

• Like 2

I hope the situation is improved somewhat by November, when the High Season begins and

Europeans, Canadians, and American want to escape Winter, start to add to the mix of tourists

to Thailand and other places.  This initial sandbox experiment looks a bit Swiss cheese to me.

Good Luck TAT, and thailand.

Geezer