ToT fibre without CGNAT

johng

For years now have been using ToT as my internet provider  only recently has True also become available in my area ( Na-Jomtien Chonburi)

Since the ToT  merger with CAT  to become "National Telecom"   they have put me behind a Carrier Grade Nat

this has broken my ability to use Dynamic DNS  to view my IPTV cameras and connect to my home VPN

I wonder if forum members  could comment on which ToT package they are subscribed to that gives them a "proper"  WAN  IP address at their router

by proper I mean the WAN address at the router should match the IP address that others on the internet think you have

1896501854_crop_CGNATTOT.jpg.40bd1aa82ae8a123710e42a2409b833d.jpg

I already spoke to some ToT "technicians"  who where adamant that they can't  just switch a switch to put me back not behind the CGNAT  and that I'd have to switch to a more expensive package... however before going to the office to try and get some sense out of them  thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks @Crossy

I'm on  ToT Fiber 2U 1 Port  100Mb/100Mb @ 325.83 Baht ...

I'm not sure if this is the cheapest package they offer. 

I could  afford to  stretch my meager budget to 749 baht per month  

if it definitely meant no more CGNAT  even though it may require sacrificing a few beers  ????

1 minute ago, johng said:

if it definitely meant no more CGNAT  even though it may require sacrificing a few beers  ????

You'll need to check that with your local office I'm afraid, there are a number of packages in between, check which offer a no-NAT policy.

• Like 1

What I'm afraid of is that they will say I have to take a fixed IP package  which of course is not only unnecessary but much more expensive.

I wonder if they will ever get to IPV6  so we can all have  a "real address"

I am quite certain I had the same issue with ToT CG-NAT and all I did was call them and request they change that so that I could connect to my home network and they did. That was after I switched to bridge mode. No problem for years now. The ToT ISP service is fiber 900/200. Very suitable and reliable so far.

Edited by codemonkey
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, codemonkey said:

all I did was call them and request they change that so that I could connect to my home network

I did that  and they faffed about  and  the internet went down  then they called me back and said it was fixed and to  reboot the router which I did  and the internet "came back"   but still with the same problem which I told them so they then sent some "engineers" to  look at my "equipment" (ohh err)    and I explained the situation  by showing them as in the above screenshot..they seemed  flummoxed  and called their head "honcho"  and let me speak directly to him  who said that  " it, is what it is"  and nothing he could do unless  I changed to a different/more expensive package..at this point I perhaps foolishly said  "ahh you're playing that game"   which upset him a bit  and said it was the company not him who had made the change    but did say that UPnP  should work for my IP cameras  well thanks but no thanks to that.

1 hour ago, codemonkey said:

No problem for years now

I had no problems for years too but since the ToT and CAT merger something went screwy !

At least one other provider (True IIRC) offer a DDNS service which works through their CGNAT.

It might be worth asking ToT if they will now offer such a service if they can't get you out from the NAT.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, recom273 said:

Why stick with tot

My only other option is True Fibre  which might not be any different or could be worse + they will want a one year contract  and to run another cable and install their  equipment which might not  allow me to use my equipment..  for instance if the router they supply can't be put into bridge mode

or they won't supply me with the PPoE   user name and password  so I can connect directly to the  Fiber/LAN ONT   I don't want to be forced to use double NAT  if at all possible.

(not quite as bad as CGNAT  as I would have control over both "NATS'  ?? )

18 minutes ago, johng said:

My only other option is True Fibre  which might not be any different or could be worse + they will want a one year contract  and to run another cable and install their  equipment which might not  allow me to use my equipment..  for instance if the router they supply can't be put into bridge mode

or they won't supply me with the PPoE   user name and password  so I can connect directly to the  Fiber/LAN ONT   I don't want to be forced to use double NAT  if at all possible.

(not quite as bad as CGNAT  as I would have control over both "NATS'  ?? )

They should supply you with a router that can be put Into bridge mode (maybe a ONT) - @Crossy says thet have a ddns service that can work. 

I see your point, you would be tied into another year.

If I have issues like this with 3BB, i ask for a callback from the ISP team who are happy to assist, the local “techs” and the help desk aren’t much help.

The alternative is a VPS - more expensive.

Maybe @Poetor @fdsa can help.

Edited by recom273

not very expensive, I use a Singapore VDS for $3.5/month exactly for that purpose - to use it as a VPN server to connect multiple devices in Thailand behind NAT. And I was quoted 900 THB for a dedicated IP address at 3BB.

ping from one mobile network (Truemove) to another one (DTAC) is 300-500 ms, network speed is above 10mbps, can't tell for sure because both SIMs are capped to 10mbps.

ping between landline connections (computer - Singapore - another computer) will be much faster.

Edited by fdsa

Some ISPs will put you on a public IP if you ask nicely. The way I deal with the problem is I use VPS servers. My gateway (pfSense) is set up to dial OUT to the VPS, which comes with a static IP. I then NAT the IP to my office via the VPS. It's essentially like having a static IP package at your house. It's a very robust solution. You can get a VPS for pennies. However, setting this sort of thing up takes expertise. I charge $150 per hour, minimum 1 hour, thereafter in 15 minute increments : - )

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been through the same rigmarole. First time they turned cgnat off for us, when we asked. But they seem to reboot our gateway occasionally at 3am and after one of those we were back on cgnat. Called them again and they fixed it.

When it happened the 3rd time we were told we must use a business plan at 3 time the price. We currently pay 630B.

Problem solved for now by using portmap.io. Their free plan gives you only 1 port and 1 protocol. I don't know yet how to overcome this.

@Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
Can you please give me a link to where I can get a VPS so cheap? So far I have only found 5$/month & up.

• Thanks 1