self-employed self-published author possible in Thailand?

It seems from all my research (key word, 'seems') that being self-employed in the creative arts of the human world is still not possible in Thailand? To earn money from book sales, and pay taxes is what I'd like to do, but despite the more relaxed new laws relating to work permits back in about 2018, it seems this line of work is still not open to me?

I've done heaps of research, but suddenly realised that Thai Visa might have people in the know about my predicament, or with the same experience who have found answers.

(I've lived in Thailand 30 years, am married, and have always been a teacher before, but stopped that to write my book.) 

Pragmatic question...  Why does it matter?  

What are the odds of getting caught?  Pretty much zero...  Unless you're actively out soliciting work from Thai companies- but it sounds like you're planning on writing and selling books.

If you make any money from the sales, put them on your Thai wife's taxes. (Assuming you're married to a Thai)

On 7/6/2021 at 12:40 PM, femi fan said:

I've done heaps of research, but suddenly realised that Thai Visa might have people in the know about my predicament, or with the same experience who have found answers.

(I've lived in Thailand 30 years, am married, and have always been a teacher before, but stopped that to write my book.)

Is your book going to be published in Thailand?

If not, you might just let go "under the radar"; other foreigners living in Thailand have published books via a Singapore publishing house, if it's Thailand-related, and use a pseudonym as writer.

1 hour ago, Colabamumbai said:

Taught for many years here, have a dozen books on kindle amazon. Has nothing to do with working here. It is my intellectual property. 

And this is an interesting view on the subject, might well be the solution, thanks.

It's in level with other immaterial rights one might own overseas, where money is accounted in a foreign bank account. Only money transferred into Thailand same year as earned are income taxable in Thailand.

On 7/7/2021 at 8:45 AM, Poet said:

If you are publishing through Amazon or whoever, and simply bank the money abroad

Indeed. And I hope the OP is not deluding herself that she'll write a bestseller. Most self-publishers do it for amusement and make pin-money, as I do.

Amazon.com: Frieda: The Adventures of a Female Robinson Crusoe eBook: Pettrick, Lionel: Kindle Store

• Like 1