After Phuket debacle Samui leads way in "no tourist rip off" taxi and public transport scheme

webfact

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

That was not your question, which I answered, you are changing the subject now. And I was at that time a Thailand-green blue-eyed foreigner, not even asking anybody, but I was offered a "taxi"-ride when coming out from the old airport terminal area. 200 baht was the offer to Maenam, same price as a seat in Bangkok Airway's minibus shuttle, but I didn't need to wait for other passengers, and stop several times en route.

Your statement was...

And I replied...

And then you asked...

-and that was, what I did, twice actually, and that is what is discussed right here.

So what is a fair price?

200 baht for 1.5 kilometers in Lamai with the first 100 baht for the meter fall, was it late night?

Did you ask other taxis to take you to youyr destination, using their meter?

In many countries there would for example be a surcharge for late night and weekend rides.

Taxi's and song thaew's fixed prices are about similar. The fixed taxi prices seems to originate from the fixed song thaew prices (after 6 pm) during "the good old days" on Samui, before progress and tourists spoiled the island. So in a way it's fair that metered taxis don't under-quote the song thaew-drivers that have been doing business on the island long before the metered taxis arrived.

So what is fair price?

Last time I used a metered taxi I drove from Nathon to Maenam, he didn't use the meter but quoted me 400 baht, which was "a fair price" based on "good old days" Samui-standard, and I needed the taxi enough, not to argue or wait if someone else showed up and would drive me on the meter fare (quite unlikely).

Last time I used a song thaew was from Lamai to Maenam, he quoted 600 baht for the ride, 4 people all together, so 150 baht each person if divided, and late night after the boxing match finished about 1 am at Lamai Square; to me it was a fair price, taking Samui-standard and time into consideration, but for country-men foreigners coming straight from Scandinavia as tourists it would be a ridiculous cheap price...????

In the past 10 years, I have never been able to find a taxi anywhere on Samui, who was willing to use their meter. Usually they laugh at me, when I ask. 

On 7/7/2021 at 11:38 AM, KhunBENQ said:

Samui airport to Maenam. Max 11 km, 100 + max 200 = 300.

(what are the "first couple"?)

Haha.

When I took a taxi (July 2020) there was no word of meter.

700 Baht flat.

In 2016 taxi from the southern end of Chaweng lake to the Samui International Hospital (2.5km) was 200 baht.

However I just checked with Grab BigC Chaweng - Nathon Pier - 186 baht, which looks very good, but not sure if it would be the real price if I take the ride 555

Screenshot_20210708_173813_com.grabtaxi.passenger.jpg

• Like 1