Thai health system struggling

samtam

The pictures of poor Thais queuing all night in the open to get a Covid test is a shocking visual of how the Thai health system is struggling to deal with the pandemic.

Predictions of 10,000 cases per day in the very near future, (if we are not well passed that) can only more severely impact the struggling health system.

Attempting to get an antibody test at BNH in Bangkok has highlighted for me how fragile the health infrastructure really is. 15 minutes to answer the phone, followed by, "it's lunch time, please call back later", followed by "no, we are not doing any antibody testing, 'because there's a holiday on the 25th'", (I have no idea what that means either), leads one to worry that we're entering a dangerous phase, and the system cannot cope.

It also pricks the balloon of "world class" health tourism, which was overhyped anyway, and merely a justification for expensive medical care, which in these circumstances is looking very overpriced. 

Edited by samtam
  • Like 2

don't complain, the situation is the same all over Europe, where in theory we have better infrastructure

but I think the Thai infrastructure is doing not too bad considering the world wide situation,

only if you guys could get your vaccine batch LOL

I don't see purpose of testing, unless for insurance purpose - this 100-200k would come handy for an additional treatment (on top of free government one).

If symptoms the best to go to provinces and be admitted to field hospital or hospitel (covered by private insurance).

Possibly those waiting all night for test needed it to show at workplace and take 2 weeks sick pay.

yes, things are turning ugly, if no testing for those, who want one and no any beds for those unable to stay home.

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1