Swede who ran multi-million baht Crypto scam from Koh Chang jailed for 15 years

webfact

Perhaps the Levinson's of Bernie Madoff fame , will make a book  of this  and a movie will come out !

I wonder what happen to Swede's   family ?

Edited by riclag

1 hour ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

In 15 years when he get out, he will enjoy being a trillionaire thanks to his crypto.

Dont think so: As part of the sentence, Karlsson was also ordered to forfeit a Thai resort and various other properties and accounts, and issued a money judgment in the amount of $16,263,820. 

He will probably come out broke.

2 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

That´s not how crypto currencies work. None can take it away from him, if he stored it properly. They will need his passphrases and seed mnemonics.

Unless he underwent torture, he probably still has it.

Somehow the US was able to reclaim about 2.3 million worth of bitcoin paid for a ransomware scheme.  I guess the bad guys left the tokens in an exchange wallet where you don't control the private keys.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Absolutely the worst place to have your case heard or sentence served if you are a badboy.

Most countries give less time than that for murder.

He was tried and sentenced in the US. 

The BIB simply went to his known location and arrested him on the basis of the Interpol alert.

• Like 1

Just now, Freddy42OZ said:

He was tried and sentenced in the US. 

The BIB simply went to his known location and arrested him on the basis of the Interpol alert.

oops I should have read the article, but then again, they're mostly so badly written i don't want to get any more frustrated.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

That´s not how crypto currencies work. None can take it away from him, if he stored it properly. They will need his passphrases and seed mnemonics.

Unless he underwent torture, he probably still has it.

They (or anyone else who gets a hold of him in 15 years) can use scopolamine aka Devils Breath.

He won't have a mark on him, and won't even remember he logged in for them, or gave out all the info like a songbird.

17 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Dont think so: As part of the sentence, Karlsson was also ordered to forfeit a Thai resort and various other properties and accounts, and issued a money judgment in the amount of $16,263,820. 

He will probably come out broke.

Who gets the multiple properties in Pattaya?

20 hours ago, chalawaan said:

Why do criminals still come here? 

The BiB may be in a coma for most of their shift at the borders, but when interpol give them a job, boy do they go at it like Soi dogs in heat!

Absolutely the worst place to have your case heard or sentence served if you are a badboy.

Most countries give less time than that for murder.

Having asked the rhetorical, he got exactly what he deserved.

Criminals who take regular folks life savings are the scummiest of the scum that float among us.

Hi case was heard in the US. 

17 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Sorry to the believers, but isn't "crypto scam" an oxymoron.

Please explain. I've been buying crypto for years and never been scammed. I have been scammed out of baht, however. Is Baht a scam? 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Surprised he only got a 15 stretch. These types of crimes, wire fraud etc usually carry much stiffer sentences in the US I believe.

It's a Federal charge, mandatory minimum is 15 years, with good time, he could be out in 10+ years, restitution will be paid from assets he had to forfeit.................good luck with them finding all his bitcoin, unless he voluntarily gave up his wallet.  Which is more likely why he got such a low sentence.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, chalawaan said:

My Chinese (Hong Kong) neighbor explained to me that the call center and financial scammers come to Thailand from PRC because  if  they are caught here usually the sentences are short or a simple deporatation. If caught doing the same in China.....good chance of execution...after a 25 minute trial.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tonray said:

My Chinese (Hong Kong) neighbor explained to me that the call center and financial scammers come to Thailand from PRC because  if  they are caught here usually the sentences are short or a simple deporatation. If caught doing the same in China.....good chance of execution...after a 25 minute trial.

The ones I know came for the cheap soapy massages. 

• Haha 1