Swede who ran multi-million baht Crypto scam from Koh Chang jailed for 15 years

webfact

8 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Please explain. I've been buying crypto for years and never been scammed. I have been scammed out of baht, however. Is Baht a scam? 

Good luck for you. Do not sell as you will miss out on the next surge.

• Haha 1

On 7/9/2021 at 3:30 PM, EdrigoSalvadore said:

That´s not how crypto currencies work. None can take it away from him, if he stored it properly. They will need his passphrases and seed mnemonics.

Unless he underwent torture, he probably still has it.

Or unless they offered him a deal for cooperation: like a shorter sentece or a nicer prison. Which is what they normally do. 

On 7/10/2021 at 9:13 AM, mikebell said:
On 7/9/2021 at 3:28 PM, Bob12345 said:

Dont think so: As part of the sentence, Karlsson was also ordered to forfeit a Thai resort and various other properties and accounts, and issued a money judgment in the amount of $16,263,820. 

He will probably come out broke.

Who gets the multiple properties in Pattaya?

Maybe they are the "various other properties" mentioned in your comment?!

On 7/10/2021 at 11:04 AM, Neeranam said:
On 7/9/2021 at 2:57 PM, chalawaan said:

Why do criminals still come here? 

The BiB may be in a coma for most of their shift at the borders, but when interpol give them a job, boy do they go at it like Soi dogs in heat!

Absolutely the worst place to have your case heard or sentence served if you are a badboy.

Most countries give less time than that for murder.

Having asked the rhetorical, he got exactly what he deserved.

Criminals who take regular folks life savings are the scummiest of the scum that float among us.

Expand  

Hi case was heard in the US. 

He was arrested in Thailand by RTP.

On 7/10/2021 at 11:08 AM, Surelynot said:
On 7/9/2021 at 6:29 PM, Freddy42OZ said:

The BIB simply went to his known location and arrested him on the basis of the Interpol alert.

So it is possible for Interpol to apprehend people.......amazing!!!!!!

Interpol didn't apprehend him, RTP did that only because they agreed to do so and, as unlikely as it is for RTP not to act on a request from the US authorities, they weren't compelled to arrest him.   Interpol was the intermediary.

On 7/9/2021 at 9:19 PM, tonray said:

My Chinese (Hong Kong) neighbor explained to me that the call center and financial scammers come to Thailand from PRC because  if  they are caught here usually the sentences are short or a simple deporatation. If caught doing the same in China.....good chance of execution...after a 25 minute trial.

In Malaysia they'll get the whippin' stick, but that doesn't seem to scare them away.  At least once a week you'll read about a bunch of PRC guys busted in a hotel room with a briefcase full of stolen credit cards.

Had a chat with a Malay taxi driver on the border once.  He said he prefers dealing with Thai cops because you give them the $$$ and they go away, whereas Malaysia cops beat them up, practice choke holds, etc.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bendejo said:

In Malaysia they'll get the whippin' stick, but that doesn't seem to scare them away.  At least once a week you'll read about a bunch of PRC guys busted in a hotel room with a briefcase full of stolen credit cards.

Had a chat with a Malay taxi driver on the border once.  He said he prefers dealing with Thai cops because you give them the $$$ and they go away, whereas Malaysia cops beat them up, practice choke holds, etc.

I lived in KL before I moved to Bangkok. This is quite true and they still expect cash after the beatings. There are various police barracks (blue and white apartment blocks) where police and their families stay for minimal rent, almost like a military camp. A sight to behold when they have morning training routines..lots of paramilitary behavior.

On 7/9/2021 at 10:38 AM, nahkit said:

Anyone know what happened in the case a while back where a foreigner (from Finland was it?) had been swindled out of millions of Bitcoin by a Thai actor?

According the media he got money back. Year 2018 his capital gain income was 2.95 million Euros and 2019 a little bit over 12 million Euros. He had no other incomes than profits selling Bitcoins. As incomes are released in Finland every year, it seems like after the news came out about swindling, Finnish renevue office interested about this guy as his name was not seen on any list. I don't know did he had to pay any interest or fines beacuse he didn't report those incomes on time, but current capital gain tax is 34% here if earnings are over 30 000€.

• Like 1