Thai study finds 2 doses of Sinovac can’t beat Delta variant, AstraZeneca can

snoop1130

On 7/9/2021 at 8:34 AM, rbkk said:

Perhaps it's C.O.D. and can be returned.

they have to pay in advance which is one of the reason companies and hospitals in Thailand have been moving slow on it.  They fear they will spend money in advance, then when the vaccines arrive in December at the earliest according to some articles ( although that may have been for some other vaccine types) , so when they arrive, they may not be used and the agencies will be out the money

3 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Hundreds of Thai medical workers infected despite Sinovac vaccinations

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hundreds-thai-medical-workers-infected-092123931.html

No vaccine gives total protection against infection

It is more likely that inappropriate medical practices are facilitating the spread of infection despite the use of vaccines.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:42 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You’ve conveniently missed out a detail - vaccine availably.

Many of whom you accuse of being Pro-Sinovac are not in fact pro-Sinovac, they are simply ‘anti-nothing’.

In the absence of any other vaccine, Sinovac is better than nothing. 
When / if Astra Zeneca or an mRNA vaccine becomes available take that, even if its soon (i.e. 3 weeks after taken the Sinovac vaccine). 

This is the exactly my position. Of course it’s not as effective as other vaccines, but it is available and it offers protection against illness. 

it’s easy to sit on the internet and rubbish things and say “well they should have done this” 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thunglom said:

No vaccine gives total protection against infection

It is more likely that inappropriate medical practices are facilitating the spread of infection despite the use of vaccines.

That is true and I would take Sinovac if nothing else was available at the moment rather than wait for a stronger  more effective vacccine in 4---8 months donw the line.    It will give me some  protection against reg Covid19 but almost none against the Delta variant. Would definately pay for a Pfizer or Moderna booster after 2 shots of Sinovac

1 hour ago, Tony125 said:

That is true and I would take Sinovac if nothing else was available at the moment rather than wait for a stronger  more effective vacccine in 4---8 months donw the line.    It will give me some  protection against reg Covid19 but almost none against the Delta variant. Would definately pay for a Pfizer or Moderna booster after 2 shots of Sinovac

There have been no studies on how much protection Coronavac provides against severe symptoms and death in the case of the Delta variant. 

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

There have been no studies on how much protection Coronavac provides against severe symptoms and death in the case of the Delta variant. 

I very much doubt that......currently everything is being monitored and I think you'll certainly find research on that - it's just a matter of looking and hat kind of study.

1 hour ago, Thunglom said:

I very much doubt that......currently everything is being monitored and I think you'll certainly find research on that - it's just a matter of looking and hat kind of study.

To the above:

"After initial doubts owing to a lack of transparency in clinical trial data, Sinovac Biotech's (SVA.O) COVID-19 vaccine is emerging as a powerful tool against the virus. Data from Uruguay released last month showed it was over 90% effective in reducing both intensive care admissions and deaths."

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/south-africa-approves-chinas-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine-domestic-use-health-2021-07-03/

While the referenced Uruguay report does not specifically mention Delta variant, from this chart you can reasonably suspect that was the case:

uru.jpg

Edited by jerrymahoney

On 7/11/2021 at 2:12 PM, friendofthai said:

Looks like a very very dangerous propaganda post. Most people will decide to wait for AZ or another vaccine after reading this. Let's analyze what exactly was said in the article:

"...getting a booster dose of AstraZeneca will be enough to protect them from contracting the Delta variant"

"Protect them from contracting the Delta variant" means "avoiding infection with the Delta variant". So they are talking about prevention of the spread of the disease, not about preventing hospitalization and death. But most of us don't mind having a harmless form of COVID with symptoms identical to ones of common cold. We only want to avoid hospitalization and death. Sinovac is good enough for this purpose.

With this badly infectious virus we want to stop infection and transmission. Preventing hospitalization is an initial goal, but to slow down the emergence of new variants we have to slow transmission. Ultimately, we should be reducing Covid to outbreaks that can be managed with contact tracing. That can't happen with Sinovac.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

To the above:

"After initial doubts owing to a lack of transparency in clinical trial data, Sinovac Biotech's (SVA.O) COVID-19 vaccine is emerging as a powerful tool against the virus. Data from Uruguay released last month showed it was over 90% effective in reducing both intensive care admissions and deaths."

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/south-africa-approves-chinas-sinovac-covid-19-vaccine-domestic-use-health-2021-07-03/

While the referenced Uruguay report does not specifically mention Delta variant, from this chart you can reasonably suspect that was the case:

On 7/11/2021 at 3:52 PM, Eric Loh said:

In a way, you summarized the experimental Singapore model. Treat COVID-19 as endemic when vaccination reached a desired target just like influenza. Serious hospitalization and deaths can be avoided with vaccination. Treat infected patients with improving therapeutics. This will allow normalization of everyday life and economy. Many countries are watching whether this model is the way out of this dreadful virus. ????

Singapore has an excellent health care system. Treatment will work with mRNA vaccinations. However, in countries like India this solution will not work, even if people are vaccinated, since there are not enough hospitals, not enough testing, either.

23 hours ago, thaitom said:

Yes sir, thank you sir. I always value your opinion.  Hmm... Does it really come in powder form?

powder mRNA COVID-19 vaccine

Powder-vaccines-750x500.jpg

I believe that this is in progress and will make distribution of mRNA vaccines easier in remote locations. You can check the WHO list:

ttps://www.who.int/publications/m/item/draft-landscape-of-covid-19-candidate-vaccines

see download at right

Others are doing vaccine as pill or nasal spray.

• Like 1