Can we travel out of Bangkok by car?

Phoenixsun28

My girlfriend and I want to take a quick trip to the beach tomorrow, probably Pattaya, we were thinking to either rent or just book a grab but then with the recent news of travel restrictions we're wondering are their roadblocks (literally) to us getting there? 

Wondering if anyone has tried to travel out of Bangkok yesterday or today. Are there roadblocks checking every vehicle in and out on major highways? Without that it seems like an uninforcable rule. 

Any info is appreciated. Thanks

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

With the vast majority of Thais an certainly foreigners awaiting vaccination i can understand wanting to keep it quiet

Around here 80 south of Hua hin you would be treated like you have the plague at worst, and frostily  at best so IMHO not worth it for you or others

MORE Interestingly how did you Qualify to get vaccinated 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Phoenixsun28 said:

Also for those wondering, can confirm through my gf office mate, that there is no roadblock into Pattaya. 

And for those of you that want to flame; YES she's vaccinated. 

The CCSA guy today explicitly said the the road checks have not started yet! 
I think Monday at some time.

I am very interested in this topic.

IF I can get a vaccine appointment in Bangkok I'm going to have to deal with this. 

You're supposed to have a good reason for the travel.

Not sure yours is.

Not sure what proof they will need.

As the road checks begin please report experiences upon LEAVING Bangkok. Bangkok is rated the deepest red so they're most concerned about people LEAVING those provinces.

To add, CCSA said traveling for medical reasons or to get vaccinated are considered legit reasons. But again, not clear on whether they'll just take your word for such things, or not. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I am very interested in this topic.

IF I can get a vaccine appointment in Bangkok I'm going to have to deal with this. 

You're supposed to have a good reason for the travel.

To add, CCSA said traveling for medical reasons or to get vaccinated are considered legit reasons. But again, not clear on whether they'll just take your word for such things, or not. 

I'm also very interested in this topic because I also hope to get vaccinated in Bangkok (perhaps wishful thinking).   While it would be possible to stay in a Bangkok hotel for a couple months I would prefer to get back home the same day.

40 minutes ago, Phoenixsun28 said:

As I stated in the OP, we plan to rent a car and go sit on a beach, not make contact with locals or sit in confined places with anyone.

Not being argumentative but personally considering leaving Thailand and family more importantly my dogs to get vaccinated in UK as it not happening here

So, with that in mind sorry but hardly a valid reason to  travel vaccinated or not

• Like 2

Just now, shortstop2 said:

I'm also very interested in this topic because I also hope to get vaccinated in Bangkok (perhaps wishful thinking).   While it would be possible to stay in a Bangkok hotel for a couple months I would prefer to get back home the same day.

Yes I would recommend getting in and out same day. Not a good time to enjoy Bangkok. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I found this about traveling around BKK, it was posted Saturday July 10th, 

Checkpoints and patrol units will be in Bangkok enforcing laws and curfew measures from 6 pm onward starting today, citing anyone out between 9 pm and 3 am unless they are medical or utility workers travelling to work, or someone needing medical treatment en route to a hospital. Anyone in violation could be charged under the Communicable Disease Act and the Emergency Decree, where the harshest punishments include up to 40,000 baht in fines and 2 years in prison.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 2:27 PM, bbko said:

Checkpoints and patrol units will be in Bangkok enforcing laws and curfew measures from 6 pm onward starting today, citing anyone out between 9 pm and 3 am unless they are medical or utility workers travelling to work, or someone needing medical treatment en route to a hospital. Anyone in violation could be charged under the Communicable Disease Act and the Emergency Decree, where the harshest punishments include up to 40,000 baht in fines and 2 years in prison.

Stay home

On 7/11/2021 at 11:27 AM, bbko said:

So from reading that, it seems that travelling out of Bangkok to anywhere during curfew hours (9pm-3am) is impossible, except in an emergency.  What's not clear is whether travel out of Bangkok to places like Hua Hin, Pattaya and Rayong is possible outside curfew hours.  Previous reports have implied that travel has to be "necessary", but I've yet to see that defined.  It will be interesting to get some first-hand reports.  Are checks even being made during the day?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

So from reading that, it seems that travelling out of Bangkok to anywhere during curfew hours (9pm-3am) is impossible, except in an emergency.  What's not clear is whether travel out of Bangkok to places like Hua Hin, Pattaya and Rayong is possible outside curfew hours.  Previous reports have implied that travel has to be "necessary", but I've yet to see that defined.  It will be interesting to get some first-hand reports.  Are checks even being made during the day?

I'm wondering this as well, not for my personal use but out of curiosity (I live in Phetchaburi)

the last 2-3 times they had "lockdowns" like this everyone kept telling me it was impossible to go in Bangkok and out but

the first time they claimed heavy lockdown like this. I had to go get my two puppies and they had locked down JUST before I could get there.. I traveled there with my motorbike from Phetchaburi all the way to Bang Bon (just after Samut Sakhon) and did not encounter a single roadblock or nothing.

on the way back, we were stopped a few km before Mueang Phetchaburi but it was a "drug pee test stop" (my third time in the years i been here) and they only checked my temperature and let us go without much questions.

If anyone does travel out, i'd love to know how it went either way

Quite a high number of medical staff, who have received two doses of Sinovac, are being infected with Covid. It appears that the efficiency of Sinovac is quite low against the new Delta variant (possibly only 10% according to some). So don't assume that just because you have received two doses of Sinovac you are totally immune to the current Covid variants. Safety first! 

3 hours ago, kekalot said:

I'm wondering this as well, not for my personal use but out of curiosity (I live in Phetchaburi)

the last 2-3 times they had "lockdowns" like this everyone kept telling me it was impossible to go in Bangkok and out but

the first time they claimed heavy lockdown like this. I had to go get my two puppies and they had locked down JUST before I could get there.. I traveled there with my motorbike from Phetchaburi all the way to Bang Bon (just after Samut Sakhon) and did not encounter a single roadblock or nothing.

on the way back, we were stopped a few km before Mueang Phetchaburi but it was a "drug pee test stop" (my third time in the years i been here) and they only checked my temperature and let us go without much questions.

If anyone does travel out, i'd love to know how it went either way

I'll report back soon as I need to take my son to an interview at a prospective new school in Rayong.  However, this won't be for a week or so, so I'm hoping we can get some more specific information in the next few days.

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Stay where you are. There's a pandemic on and Interprovincial travel is only allowed for emergencies!

That's only during curfew.  I think "necessary" interprovincial travel out of Bangkok is allowed outside curfew times.  I guess we'll know for sure soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Stay where you are. There's a pandemic on and Interprovincial travel is only allowed for emergencies!

If you are afraid you should probably stay inside where you are. You certainly don’t have the right to micromanage others in a country that is not your own. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

That's only during curfew.  I think "necessary" interprovincial travel out of Bangkok is allowed outside curfew times.  I guess we'll know for sure soon.

Maybe this will get cleared up soon, but I have been near borders of provinces in the past days. There is no travel being restricted, although it probably will turn out very selective if they do in fact enforce this (which I doubt).

Not by the motorway between 9 p.m and 4 a.m. - apparently because so many superspreader events have been traced to people driving on expressways and motorways (especially between 21:00-04:00).

Screenshot_20210712-193159_Facebook.jpg.29ee5a45734f8ced02508e8172a1e2e2.jpg

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Haha 1