Most surprising finds when you google people from your past?

Jingthing

Opposite for me. Tried to track down a girl I met in Mainz in 1997. Can’t find anything on her, her sister, or brother. Not to stalk, but she gave me some family photos that I wanted to return to her.

4 minutes ago, ncc1701d said:

Opposite for me. Tried to track down a girl I met in Mainz in 1997. Can’t find anything on her, her sister, or brother. Not to stalk, but she gave me some family photos that I wanted to return to her.

Have you tried facebook ?

School pages ?

9 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Have you tried facebook ?

School pages ?

Facebook yes. Linked in. Most of the other social things don’t give enough info away to narrow it down. I could send them messages cold…. But… but creepy. Local German search engines, aunts and uncles names. The girls surnames may have changed, but the brother’s shouldn’t have. She used to (still does?) work for Hapag-Lloyd, but nothing there either. 

I’ve not heard of “School pages”. 

Just now, ncc1701d said:

I’ve not heard of “School pages”. 

On Facebook , they have School groups where people from a school/year join a group . 

Put the schools name in a FB search and see what comes up .

If your School year has its own FB group , just look in there or post a message asking her whereabouts

• Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 12:43 PM, JCauto said:

Nice disingenuous post! Somehow you managed to omit the source of this "news" from ABC - a direct quotation from Kevin Andrews, a Liberal politician. It's a characterization of the Greens from a political party member of the opposite side of the political spectrum.

Source ABC , left wing mob

On 7/17/2021 at 10:12 AM, Sparktrader said:

Source ABC , left wing mob

Oh, doubling down on your disingenuity? Yes, the ABC printed the prepared statement by the Right-Wing Aussie politician. Does that make it Left-Wing Canon now? 

On 7/15/2021 at 6:58 AM, Sparktrader said:

Wow, what was he like ?

Very intense, in an artsy sort of way. Really into becoming a stage actor. Couldn't take a joke well, but never showed any violent tendencies that I noticed. A drunken football player once mistakenly broke into our room one night (he was on the wrong floor, thought it was his room) and my roomie cowered in his bed.

I changed roommates at the first opportunity; he wasn't fun to be around.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2021 at 11:14 AM, DogNo1 said:

Speaking of the Lima Prieta Earthquake - I used to hold my breath whenever I drove on the Nimitz Freeway.  After the quake, it was horrible seeing all of the people squashed when sections of the upper deck fell.  It was a disaster waiting to happen.  Fortunately, I was living in Berkeley at the time.

Second time now that I see the earthquake being mentioned. I was supposed to be in divorce court in downtown Oakland that morning. We got there and some guy had taken his kid hostage in the courtroom. We were not able to get started until afternoon and meanwhile guess who's stuck paying both lawyers for the whole time. Drove home to Albany on the Nimitz just an hour or so before the earthquake. My brick chimney was toast and several plaster walls were cracked.

The husband of one of my colleagues at work was stranded for several hours on one of the sections of the Nimitz that remained standing until a crane was brought in to get people down.

I served 24 years in the US military and was station all around the world and had my fair share of girlfriends in various countries.  Thanks to social media, I've had girls contact me 10+ years after our relationship.  The strangest two were a Turkish girl that I only dated for 3 weeks, she contacted me via FB about 15 years later, and a Filipina I dated for 6 months 10 years prior giving me her hardship story asking me for thousands.

I grew up in the midwest US in a very conservative state. I was always getting in trouble for my so-called anti-establishment ways. It was generally expected that upon graduation from high school that you would get married and go to work in your father's or your wife's father's business. Some people even attended the local junior college and a few went to the few universities in the state. People thought I was odd for going to college out of state.

I missed the 10th and 40th anniversary reunions but went to the 20th and 30th. I was really amazed at how all of my classmates turned out. Very few of them stayed in our town and many had great careers, although most of them remained in state but not all of them. They mostly lived in the large cities in the surrounding states, not at all what I expected.

College was the opposite. The expectation was that everyone would succeed. I would say that as many as 50% were wildly successful. Quite a few started up new companies that had IPOs or were acquired or became CEOs of established entities. The only friend that claims to be a billionaire (quite possibly true) was the biggest con artist of the whole bunch. I still don't understand how or why he got his CEO position just before the company's IPO and then acquisition a year later. He went from being the CTO of a tech company to CEO of an internet service business.

The weird thing is that I bought a book about the IPO and acquisition written by the founder and chairman and my friend is not even mentioned in the book. It is public record, however, of his hiring as CEO and his salary and number of options. Years later I was at a colleague's house for dinner it turns out his wife used to work for my friend at this business. Her stories about him confirmed that he had never changed his ways. Of course I had stories about him as well.

1 hour ago, Sparktrader said:

Stating facts. 

Here's another for you.  

dis·in·gen·u·ous
/ˌdisənˈjenyo͞oəs/

adjective

1. not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
    "he was being somewhat disingenuous as well as cynical"
  • Sad 1