Expat Registration for public vaccination has failed! What can we do?

WaveHunter

4 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Wavehunter, I was you about a month ago.  For me the final "kicker" was the Chiang Mai Ram Hospital Moderna registration fiasco.  At that point I felt I had no choice.  Hopefully I will fly to BKK and board my ANA flight to LAX and get vaccinated with the Pfizer vaccine next month.  As for coming come back to LOS, I am making plans to stay in the US for a long time(possibly permanently).  I have ruled out any kind of "Sandbox" type of quarantine because of too many unknowns at this time and also it is more expensive to fly direct into PKT than BKK.  If I do decide to come back then I will have to complete another round of BKK ASQ(did it once already this year).  

Good luck on your decision and possible journey.

Thanks for the backstory.  Very helpful for me.  I also am thinking this might just become a one way trip.  The extremely poor way these failed registration schemes for the public rollout have gone has really disillusioned me and shattered my desire to stay here any longer. 

I thin back to my first days in Chiang Mai and how amazing it was to be here and how excited I was, and contrast that to how things are now.  Even before the pandemic I noticed things changing and not for the better, but now it's like everything has crashed and burned!  There's just no reason to want to be here anymore.

A couple of questions for you:

If I did decide to return, I'm curious if you know exactly what would be required in terms of paperwork (besides the regular re-entry permit) for an expat with Non-O visa, and if it would require a visit to a Thai Embassy in the US or not?  It would be a real pain in the *ss to find out I could not get back to my condo here in Thailand after I was already back in the States, so I'm hoping there's a way to ENSURE an uneventful return BEFORE I leave Thailand.

Also curious if you know what the quarantine requirements would be for a fully vaccinated  person re-entering Thailand.  Would it be self-imposed or involve a mandatory stay in a facility, and if so, what that was like and how much it costs.

Sorry for these detailed questions.  I'm sure the answers are somewhere on the forum but the search function on this forum really is bad.

In a few more months Chiang Mai air quality will once again be at unhealthy high levels, the next Covid variant will be out and Thailand will still be struggling to vax the Thais that don't want/trust the Sinovac, which they seem to be receiving by the millions.  Will access to a hospital be available to foreigners in the event you get sick or injured, unrelated to Covid.
Being stuck in Thailand in these conditions is not sounding good.
At some rapidly approaching point, traveling back to the US purely as self-preservation will be the smart choice.  As far as returning, not until they fix this place and drop the scambox or maybe not at all.   Change is good.  

• Like 1

A couple of questions for you:

Waverhunter, I have an OA  So until early 2022 I have multi-entry status. In your case I believe you would need to purchase a Re-Entry Permit before you left.  Also, because I have an OA I had to buy Health Insurance that  has 400K IPD and 40K OPD compliant.  Also, I had to have the mandatory Covid 19 insurance with a minimum coverage of $100,000.  To comply with both I bought an all inclusive policy with Pacific Cross(it is not not cheap even in my case because I am under 60).  So in your case the need to buy health insurance could be an obstacle(as is the case for anyone who wants to come back).

In terms of quarantine and the fully vaccinated?  At present it appears 14 days in a hotel room with 3 prepaid PCR tests are required(these requirement could change but with the daily numbers of cases I can't see it changing).  

This is why I am considering just not coming back and settling in central TX(San Antonio?).  

Good luck on making the right decision.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, internationalism said:

so they were from embassies, consulates and associated with them trade chambers, the UN, teachers or working in some associated to health service companies.

Probably they were not those with underlying conditions, if majority were under 40.

There is no way for young foreigner to get a jab, unless send by an employer.

Quite shallow for somebody, who just registered on forum 16h ago

Nooo, that’s completely incorrect, anyone could register at https://thailandintervac.com/expatriatesA few weeks ago.

many people, including me did so and got the jabs. None of the people worked for embassies 

You are completely wrong here.  

Do you see the problem?

do you really want a jab, or do you just want to moan about not getting a jab?

Edited by FridgeMagnet1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, jeffandgop said:

Lucky you Fridge. As aggressive as I could possibly be, I have registered at least 7 different times. Subsequently, all but 2 of these sites/ organizations have “closed” and no longer offering assistance, or “closed and replaced by” another site/organization requiring registration all over again. I’m over 60 with an underlying heart condition that is supposedly a priority to be vaccinated.  My wife and in-laws have tried to get me registered in response to multiple announcements in Thai media but always “Thai people only”. Frickin Phayathai had grand announcements to invite expats to register all this week for Astra, only to find the registration window wasn’t open for more than 10 minutes because what they DIDNT TELL YOU they had only 100 doses available. I’ve been waiting since 2 June for my turn for the Astra that the Wall of China set up.

The registration system AND the vaccination system ARE FAILURES. No doubts about it

Keep trying, keep monitoring things and don’t let anyone tell you “it can’t be done”

It can be; but you really need to keep on top of it, as they certainly don’t make it easy 

34 minutes ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Keep trying, keep monitoring things and don’t let anyone tell you “it can’t be done”

It can be; but you really need to keep on top of it, as they certainly don’t make it easy 

Here in Chiang Mai, have registered with wallofCM right when the registration page opened up and several other hospitals.  Over 60, high blood pressure, but no appt.  So what kind of "stay on top of it" are you talking about?  The Wall of Cm site is the only one still working for me and it still says wait for e-mail or SMS. 

Edited by DrPhibes
grammer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, DrPhibes said:

Here is Chiang Mai, have registered with wallofCM right when the registration page opened up and several other hospitals.  Over 60, high blood pressure, but no appt.  So what kind of "stay on top of it" are you talking about?  The Wall of Cm site is the only one still working for me and it still says wait for e-mail or SMS. 

Recommend following some accounts on Twitter who monitor this, join some locals groups on Facebook etc

That’s how I got lucky 

moaning about it achieves absolutely nothing 

• Confused 1

"When I got my first dose at PhayaThai 2 there was over 500 farangs there, all under 60 and most under 40.

They were not the old farts who moan about everything, most people were the sort who monitor things and act quickly. "

I don't live in Bangkok.  So you and the other 500 Foreigners were lucky.  No such luck in Chiang Mai.  

• Like 2

If vaccinations were done in a proper and orderly manner; based on clearly laid out criteria like age, medical condition and profession; then nobody should even need to register. Registrations are not required in most countries, whether online or in person.

Ultimately, however how long that may be, the Government will need to know who hasn't had a vaccine as those without one could be responsible for some restrictions being kept in place. 

• Like 2

Well, I managed to get my pre-registration submitted to PhyaThai Hospital at 0901

725600480_snapshot_2021-07-13at9_02_08AM.jpg.495772833e73932f6ec5f13b51a36fa3.jpg

Now let's see if I get a text message...sitting on the edge of my chair LOL!

How did everybody else do?

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Well, I managed to get my pre-registration submitted to PhyaThai Hospital at 0901

725600480_snapshot_2021-07-13at9_02_08AM.jpg.495772833e73932f6ec5f13b51a36fa3.jpg

Now let's see if I get a text message...sitting on the edge of my chair LOL!

How did everybody else do?

I got this, also at 09.01 - well done and good luck

Pre-Registration for COVID-19 Vaccine
This form is no longer accepting responses, and has been set to automatically closed by the system

23 minutes ago, YaiJung said:

I saw the writing on the wall and took a trip back to the US a couple months ago to get vaccinated.  Had a wonderful few weeks there, a couple of weeks in asq,  and now I am sitting back in my house in Thailand fully vaccinated.  I realize how fortunate we are, as expats who actually have access to vaccines in our home countries.  Millions of Thais don't have that option. 

There has never been a better time to travel, IMO.  Flights are cheap and empty.  ASQ wasn't the most exciting thing I have ever done, but not the end of the world by a long shot.  If you are thinking about going home to get the jabs, and can afford to, just do it.  Or you can stay here, stressing and moaning, while waiting for some <deleted>ty government(Thai or home country) to come to your rescue.  Up to you. 

Just curious, where did you do ASQ on return, and what was the experience like?  Were there any complications encountered with applying online for the COA?  Which consulate did you go through?

43 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I agree with all of the OP here, it's a complete fiasco. And very well stated.

In my province it appears that no one has received any memos on rollouts.

I have tried 5 times at local clinic and hospitals, written to all the larger provincial hospitals all with either Sorry Thai Only, or no reply at all.

Admittedly I did not persevere with the online failures to register at a Bangkok hospital, as I feel the risk of going from my low case province into the lions's den is just not worth the risk of 6 hours in minvans, very large crowds and at least one night in a hotel. Go for a vaccine, come back with Covid is a real possibility.

And for the record I am 66 with 3 of the Big 7 so my option is to wait it out in my remote, now locked down, village. I know of no Thai having got a jab either.

As to what to do I fear the answer is 'wait' and try hard to not become a statistic. The UK government has been quite vocal that they can't or won't help, when it's obvious they just can be bothered to try like a few other nations. And I am not normally so pessimistic but this so-called plan is like pi$$ing against the wind.

It's a pretty ridiculous situation we're facing here as expats; that's for sure.  I think eventually the situation will improve vastly (I mean how could it get any worse LOL)...but it's all a matter of time, and every day we have live like this as unvaccinated people is just creates a sense of frustration and uneasiness that can really get to you after a while.

If I were you, I would not write off travel to Bangkok for jabs if the opportunity presents itself.  Driving services are taking extra precautions, and obviously hospitals are as well, so I think the risk of a trip into Bangkok for this purpose is not that great.

I have to say, after a lot of reflection, that avoiding infection as an unvaccinated person where I live (Jomtien) is not so difficult, and I feel relatively safe by just using common sense actions like practicing good social distancing, wearing a decent mask always while out in public, staying fit, and eating a nutritious diet, and also supplementing with Vitamin D and zinc.

Now I know the later part of what I said might sound silly to some, but exercise, good nutrition, and maintaining proper levels of Vitamin D and Zinc, ALL help maintain a healthy immune response, and lack of any of these things can have a scientifically proven negative effect on immune response. 

In fact, in the case of Vitamin D, a peer-reviewed medical study recently proved that Vitamin D deficiency is associated with Covid cases requiring hospitalization.

So, anyway, I wrote a lot more than I should have, but hope some will find it useful.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, FridgeMagnet1 said:

Nooo, that’s completely incorrect, anyone could register at https://thailandintervac.com/expatriatesA few weeks ago.

many people, including me did so and got the jabs. None of the people worked for embassies 

You are completely wrong here.  

Do you see the problem?

do you really want a jab, or do you just want to moan about not getting a jab?

on the very thread you quoted there are only 5 other people, excluding you, who got vax. Far away from 500 supposedly having it on the same day, mentioned by you. I would expect that some 10% of foreigners are on forum and would at some stage write about their luck with vax. But no, the great majority are not lucky.

They all might been embassy, consulate, the UN, teachers, those working in health companies. They all might have underlying conditions. You don't know them. Even if you spoken to some of them, they would not necessarily admit their workplace. For security they are forbidden to blab about their job. They would not necessarily to talk about their health issues. Even if looking healthy to you, they might be seriously sick. 

I would call it a glitch in the system.

Or dr Anutin had mischievous idea of allowing a handful of healthy foreigners under 60 to get vax, so to show to the world, that thailand is doing it's best and all is done well. 

What if he will start using it later on in his political propaganda to turn unvaccinated and desperate thais against pesky foreigners who snicked under radar and "stole" vax which suppose to go to sick and elderly thai?   

No, I don't want to be vaccinated now, I am healthy and below 60. I have many other vax, stock of medicines, 3 insurance policies, don't mix with people.

Hence no, I never moan about this predicament. But feel sorry for those, who badly need it now.

I do doubt your statement, coming from a person just registered on forum and all other postings on forum in a similar tone. I find it not genuine, not trustworthy.

Edited by internationalism
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1