Foreigners in Thailand warned about people impersonating immigration officers

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A warning posted on the Immigration Bureau’s Facebook page, reads “currently there are immigration police impersonators who conduct unlawful activities.

Nah I better not.

• Haha 1

Luckily there is no possibility of obtaining fake ID cards in such a law abiding realm, although I've heard possibly faux news of fake marriages, orgasms, elections, democracy, Rolexes even  all from a former Zulu Gurkha/Seal?Spetnatz?SAS  friend . The great thing about the Land of Scams there's a new one coming like an express to Bangsu, one might even say a HUB.

1 minute ago, Bim Smith said:

If the ID is fake wouldn't the number on the ID also be fake. So what would be the point in phoning the number on that ID.

They'll not fool you Sherlock. Many newcomers from law abiding lands asume that cops are basically honest law enforcement rather than a gang, those here longer know the reality. Not every officer is a murderous abuser but a system of payment for preferment , advancement, debt and inability to be a whistleblower at the bottom is endemic .

5 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Good luck finding anyone who speaks English at any of the numbers or agencies one is to contact to verify an officer's identity. 

Always makes me laugh that one, when you call and it says "Press" #2 for English, Sawat dee Ka 

• Like 1

The only contact I have had with Immigration officers is at an Immigration office. No-one there has asked for any more than the correct amount.

OTOH, try Thai Customs for real extortion. I've just paid 2500 baht tax on secondhand golf clubs sent to me from Australia.

They were valued as new, even though they were obviously used. They've got you over a barrel, pay up or you don't get the goods. Scumbags.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

They are a bit late with this, it's been going on for years down in Phuket.

What about people impersonating police officers?

...impersonating police officers.

Reminds me that years back opposite the old immigration office on Soi Suan Plu there was a shop which sold every item of police kit: shirts, jackets, pants, belts, shoes, caps, helmets, medals and insignia. Big window at the front with lots of clothes etc., on display for all to see.

Anybody welcome to walk in and buy anything, no ID check whatever. 

In those days I often parked outside of this shop, it always had customers.

A Thai friend went in one time with his farang work buddy (both refusing to believe anybody could walk in and buy), both bought several items, no ID check, no questions asked.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ChipButty said:

It is impossible for a person to impersonate a police officer!?

6 hours ago, JoePai said:

I've found the worst people impersonating immigration officers are the immigration officers themselves !

Check their ID in a country which can make fake passports, fake Thai ID, fake Degrees, Fake visas, and fake Armani all look like the real thing. If you get stopped call the immigration hot line and tell them to check them out. 

1 hour ago, Bim Smith said:

If the ID is fake wouldn't the number on the ID also be fake. So what would be the point in phoning the number on that ID.

If the number is fake, no problem. You've confirmed a villain. The problem is, that the fraudster may be in cahoots with someone at the other end of the phone. What to do then?

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreigners in Thailand have been warned about people impersonating immigration officers in a bid to extort money. 

There is no extortion/bribery/prostitution/corruption, etc. of any kind in Thailand, you guys are just bashing "bashing" Thailand  5555555

P.S: the above comments may have sarcasm intent

• Haha 2

contact the organisation listed on the ID card to verify the person is who they say they are.

So contact the number on what might be a fake ID card to check they are genuine. That'll certainly work if they are so stupid to put a genuine number on their fake ID.

If they turn out to be genuine how happy will they be?

Edited by kimamey

these impersonating immigration officers have no idea what they are getting into, you will not get a penny out of them, they will confront you before they part their money, they even confront real officer let alone fake

How do we know if the police id card is legit ? The example is blurred and anyone can knock up a copy anyway. 

The best way is to only deal with Immigration at the Immigration office, certainly not on the street or even if they visit you at home. 

7 hours ago, ChipButty said:

The thing to do is tell them that you are not really a farang at all,  see what they do with that information. 

5 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

You always get extorted if you try to buy a vehicle, extend your driving license or do whatever requires a confirmation of residence. Did you ever get a receipt for the "fee"? 

You can always go the legal route and pay 50 dollars to your Embassy or Consulate, and you do get a reciept