Foreigners in Thailand warned about people impersonating immigration officers

webfact

There was a post on Reddit about this about a week ago. There was a condo raid, checking passports, and they said the whole thing seemed fishy. Another guy said he was shaken down by a guy in a brown uniform, but that it looked a bit off. He was next to a bunch of win drivers when it happened, who all said they'd never seen this guy before. They all laughed at him, and he walked away.

• Confused 1

Wow.
I know I'm not a "hansum man" despite what all the ladies say, but I didn't think I was so scary looking that the police (regular and Immigration) take one look at me and decide they shouldn't try to scam me.

Because reading this thread, one might think they try to shake down every foreigner in the country. Every year.

Yet I've never been asked for a bribe, threatened or had anyone try to extort money from me.
Ever.

Any Immigration officer shows up at my house better be legit because when I ask my RTP neighbour (or one of the other 2 cops that live within a hundred meters of my place) they may find themselves wishing they'd gone elsewhere. And there are at least 2 sets of (working) CCTV cameras on my soi as well.

But somehow I suspect it won't happen so I'm not going to worry about it as I'm sure they'd take one look at me and decide I'm not worth the effort of trying to scam money from. Just like every other cop I've dealt with here over the last 17+ years.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Haha 1

When needed i normaly go immigration in monday whit my wife. Because all going really smoothly! Me and wife whit uniform! Never have ask me extra. I have seen when monks and chinese jump the queue, chinese because just give huge "donut" box to officer ENJOY. Maybe there are few sticky bth in box, but hey who knows maybe they only love chinese!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

Officials in Thailand would never try to extort money from foreigners so why would foreigners fall for this - it would very obviously be a bogus scam - right 

If You have a mobile with a camera on it,take a picture of this officer.

• Haha 1