New "Smart TV" Installation

Yellowtail

1 hour ago, Eindhoven said:

Depends on the solution chosen. I will assume by receptacle you might be referring to a charging dock or similar. Overall it's not sensible to expect no wires with such a system and especially at that price.

Example: https://th.jbl.com/bluetooth-speakers/CONTROL+X+WIRELESS.html

https://www.powerbuy.co.th/en/jbl-ลำโพง-2-0-jbl-controlx-wireless-red-229543 Not under 1000 baht and no sub-woofer.

Yeah, they all need power.

54 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

And just change the batteries after each movie....

They are rechargeable. I showed you an example. Since it's your thread, I'll just assume that it was your way of making a funny.

Either way, not worth it unless you really cannot have wires trailing around.

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

They are rechargeable. I showed you an example. Since it's your thread, I'll just assume that it was your way of making a funny.

Either way, not worth it unless you really cannot have wires trailing around.

Yeah, you can charge them at intermission....

I think wireless speakers are great, but in a home theater installation I can't imagine not having an AC power source near each speaker.  

With installing cable trunking is cheap and easy, and with a little care  a little care it looks fine....

4 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

What did he say? And which TV do you have?

Next Monday.

Samsung UA65AU7700KXXT from HomePro, B21,241 "installed" 

The TV is great, but not having the surround blows. 

If he can't make it work and the optical/analog converter I have on order does not work I may go with a new AV amp...

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yeah, you can charge them at intermission....

I think wireless speakers are great, but in a home theater installation I can't imagine not having an AC power source near each speaker.  

With installing cable trunking is cheap and easy, and with a little care  a little care it looks fine....

You don't need an AC power source near each speaker. Only the Sub-woofer unit is powered in the cases here; the satellites are all passive.

As illustrated by MM; you don't need to have a sophisticated and expensive set-up for a Home Theatre.

Just now, Yellowtail said:

Next Monday.

If he can't make it work and the optical/analog converter I have on order does not work I may go with a new AV amp...

Why bother, when the under 1000 baht kit does the job? Maybe it just needs to look expensive?

12 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You don't need an AC power source near each speaker. Only the Sub-woofer unit is powered in the cases here; the satellites are all passive.

As illustrated by MM; you don't need to have a sophisticated and expensive set-up for a Home Theatre.

I thought we were talking about wireless speakers. Are there wireless speakers that do not need a power source?

9 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Next Monday.

How did you check the surround? Can you check if it works with the browser. Look in YouTube for Dolby examples. At my LG TV I have 2 optical sound output settings. One is optical and the other one is Optical / HDMI ARC. Only the second one transmits Dolby. Perhaps you have something similar. 

10 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Why bother, when the under 1000 baht kit does the job? Maybe it just needs to look expensive?

I'm hoping the the cheap bit of kit I ordered (B100.63)  will work, or that the tech gets it going.

What under B1,000 kit will connect to my new TV and drive my existing speaker system? 

15 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Next Monday.

I am actually a bit confused as to the issue that you are having. Your TV has Dolby Digital Plus built in. Are you choosing that as your sound output once you have connected that to your amplifier via optical lead?

I'm hoping the the cheap bit of kit I ordered (B100.63)  will work, or that the tech gets it going.

What under B1,000 kit will connect to my new TV and drive my existing speaker system? 

Do we know your existing speaker system? I don't think you need any extra kit.

You mean this one?

1859060614_JBL01.JPG.4024d460b0496d0b488bf86a855d83c5.JPG

I wonder what that hole marked "AC IN" is for....

Charging.

How else do you think you could charge them? With your finger?

How would you charge your laptop if you wanted to use it off mains? Come on...be serious and focus on your own problem.

Forget about the set top box and just get the TV working with your current system. There is no reason why it should not work.

9 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

How did you check the surround? Can you check if it works with the browser. Look in YouTube for Dolby examples. At my LG TV I have 2 optical sound output settings. One is optical and the other one is Optical / HDMI ARC. Only the second one transmits Dolby. Perhaps you have something similar. 

It worked with the old TV using the earphone adaptor. That said, I guess I don't "know" that it is working, but I get sound from all the speakers, and the sound from the rear speakers seems appropriate. It sounded great with the old TV. 

The TV has one optical out, and one HDMI ARC. The AV amp is about ten years old, and only had HDMI out. Only one optical setting.

The TV has separate settings for:

TV Speakers

Receiver (HDMI)

Optical

Bluetooth

22 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I am actually a bit confused as to the issue that you are having. Your TV has Dolby Digital Plus built in. Are you choosing that as your sound output once you have connected that to your amplifier via optical lead?

Yes

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

It worked with the old TV using the earphone adaptor. That said, I guess I don't "know" that it is working, but I get sound from all the speakers, and the sound from the rear speakers seems appropriate. It sounded great with the old TV. 

The TV has one optical out, and one HDMI ARC. The AV amp is about ten years old, and only had HDMI out. Only one optical setting.

The TV has separate settings for:

TV Speakers

Receiver (HDMI)

Optical

Bluetooth

Try to play back Dolby test files on YouTube. I think your AV amp cannot handle DTS but only Dolby. 

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Next Monday.

Having just ordered a new TV myself, I was more than a little interested in this thread.   Now I've got to this post, and it turns out that I've ordered something almost the same.   It's going to replace a Samsung 55" which is 6 years old and has been great, except that within the last few days has developed the dreaded large white dot that means dead pixels.

SAMSUNG  TV Q65A UHD QLED Year 2021 (65", 4K, Smart) QA65Q65AAKXXT

I gave up on home cinema AV some years ago, but decided to try this one.   I wanted something minimal cables only power.   The soundbar connects to the TV by wifi or bluetooth, as does the sub woofer.

https://www.samsung.com/sg/audio-devices/soundbar/5-1-ch-soundbar-black-hw-q60t-xs/

Looking forward to having them installed.

Edited by pagallim

Just now, Mickeymaus said:

Try to play back Dolby test files on YouTube. I think your AV amp cannot handle DTS but only Dolby. 

Digital Sound Processor
  • Yes
Dolby Digital Type
  • Dolby Digital
Dolby Pro Logic Type
  • Dolby Pro Logic II
DTS Type
  • DTS
FM Tuner Support
  • Yes
Sound Features
  • Power Bass , Smart Volume, MP3 Enhancer, Equalizer, DSP, Giga Sound

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes

What other sound output options are available via the TV menu? It doesn't make any sense that Optical to Optical does not work. So it's clearly an issue of choosing the right option.

Are you getting any connection at all between the TV and amplifier?

2 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Digital Sound Processor
  • Yes
Dolby Digital Type
  • Dolby Digital
Dolby Pro Logic Type
  • Dolby Pro Logic II
DTS Type
  • DTS
FM Tuner Support
  • Yes
Sound Features
  • Power Bass , Smart Volume, MP3 Enhancer, Equalizer, DSP, Giga Sound

This is good then. In the manual that I found online they only write about Dolby. But try this with YouTube on your TV. 

2 minutes ago, pagallim said:

Having just ordered a new TV myself, I was more than a little interested in this thread.   Now I've got to this post, and it turns out that I've ordered something almost the same.   It's going to replace a Samsung 55" which is 6 years old and has been great, exept that within the last few days has developed the dreaded large white dot that means dead pixels.

SAMSUNG  TV Q65A UHD QLED Year 2021 (65", 4K, Smart) QA65Q65AAKXXT

I gave up on home cinema AV some years ago, but decided to try this one.   I wanted something minimal cables only power.   The soundbar connects to the TV by wifi or bluetooth, as does the sub woofer.

https://www.samsung.com/sg/audio-devices/soundbar/5-1-ch-soundbar-black-hw-q60t-xs/

Looking forward to having them installed.

Nice! Where'd you get them? 

I really like having the rear speakers and I'm already wired up...

Just now, Eindhoven said:

What other sound output options are available via the TV menu? It doesn't make any sense that Optical to Optical does not work. So it's clearly an issue of choosing the right option.

Are you getting any connection at all between the TV and amplifier?

It does not make sense, that's why they are sending a tech out. They did not say, but I think the optical out on the TV may be bad. 

I get no sound TV optical to AV optical. I get sound set-box optical to AV optical.

It does not make sense, that's why they are sending a tech out. They did not say, but I think the optical out on the TV may be bad. 

I get no sound TV optical to AV optical. I get sound set-box optical to AV optical.

What other sound output options are available via the TV menu? Did you try them all?

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Nice! Where'd you get them? 

I really like having the rear speakers and I'm already wired up...

Same as you, HomePro/Powerbuy, but on-line.   I checked out the ranges that they had and made my choices for what I was prepared to spend.   Normally I just go into a shop and buy whatever is in stock, but can't be bothered at the moment.   I'm not in a rush, and can put up with the white dot for a few days.

My set up is an Apple TV box to the TV by HDMI (this receives all of my downloaded iTunes media from my iMac computer) and a Pulse TV box (again, HDMI to the TV, which has all of the UK channels plus movie and TV series libraries).   Both the boxes get their respective data wirelessly.