New "Smart TV" Installation

Yellowtail

I have AIS Fiber and bought a new smart TV and while it's working now, I have a few questions. 

AIS provides:

1. Box that converts fiber to feeds router via CAT 5 cable

2. Router that provides WiFi and feeds set-box via CAT 5 cable

3. Set-box that feeds TV via HDMI cable.

A. I think the new TV should have internet access, correct?

B. I believe it will connect using WiFi or LAN, but I understand LAN is better, correct?

C. Assuming I connect the TV to one of the open LAN receptacles on the router, should it work "plug & play" without any password and or configuring?

D. I want to use my old AV amp & speakers, but it only has HDMI out. I think using an optical cord for this would be my best bet, is this correct? 

It came with "free" installation and I want to minimize the number of times I have to take it down and put it back up....

Thanks!

D. IF your AV amp has HDMI in and HDMI out, then put it between your set-top box and the TV.  You need an HDMI cable from box to AV HDMI in and then another HDMI cable from AV HDMI out to the TV input.  Your AV amp should have multiple HDMI in ports.  Remember which AV input port you use to connect the cable from set-top box.  You will need to select that input port to use on the AV amp.

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

D. I want to use my old AV amp & speakers, but it only has HDMI out.

No HDMI input ports?

What make and model is your amp?

Can you take a photo of the back of it and post it here?

We need to see something like this:

1605180947_yamahaamp.thumb.jpg.ac73e49e67c10168f939373f92544510.jpg

13 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

D. IF your AV amp has HDMI in and HDMI out, then put it between your set-top box and the TV.  You need an HDMI cable from box to AV HDMI in and then another HDMI cable from AV HDMI out to the TV input.  Your AV amp should have multiple HDMI in ports.  Remember which AV input port you use to connect the cable from set-top box.  You will need to select that input port to use on the AV amp.

This is an older DVD player and it only has one HDMI, out. See below:

SetBack.JPG.e8bcf726c115df517e7695e9ee4b6de1.JPG

You could try feeding the amp audio from the set top box

( they often still have phono out connectors)

plug the hdmi from AIS set top box into the tv  and turn sound down on tv  and up on amp.

Does the AIS settop box have an optical out ?

Samsung HT-D453K

Connectivity
HDMI: 1 HDMI Out
USB: 1
Component Video output: 1
Composite video output: 1
Audio Line IN/OUT (Optical): 1
MIC Jack : 2
FM Antenna: 1
Other Connectivity Features: 1 Audio Input, Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC)
Edited by johng
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, johng said:

plug the hdmi from set top box into the tv  and turn sound down on tv  and up on amp.

Connectivity

This is the Set-Box:

SetBox.jpg.aa0acf0c469050a34fedcb4d1ae97347.jpg

I guess my next question would be, if I feed the amp with the set-box, if I watch via internet, would my amp still be fed?

So the AIS box  seems to have both AV out and Optical out  so optical preferred

unless they have done some "digital rights management jiggery pockery"

4 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

if I feed the amp with the set-box, if I watch via internet, would my amp still be fed?

Yes I think so.

4 minutes ago, johng said:

So the AIS box  seems to have both AV out and Optical out  so optical preferred

unless they have done some "digital rights management jiggery pockery"

Thanks, I didn't realize that was an optical plug, I can try it without taking the TV down.

4 minutes ago, johng said:

Yes I think so.

I hope so...

28 minutes ago, johng said:

plug the hdmi from AIS set top box into the tv  and turn sound down on tv  and up on amp.

Does the AIS settop box have an optical out ?

Samsung HT-D453K

Connectivity

I have an Android box plugged into my TV using HDMI cable, the sound overall is very poor, to hear something have to adjust volume to very high and yet still not clear sound, was wondering if there are some easy to set up speakers that don't require any Amplifier, an easy simple add on type speakers that I can plug into the TV or bluetooth type speakers, saw some on the internet and Lazada but maybe somebody here has been using some and can advise on type/model/brand, thanks

7 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I use HDMI out to my TV, then out of TV via headphone jack into RCAs on my audio amp. It works well.

I did this with my old set, but was hoping to get a cleaner setup. Not sure if the new TV even has a headphone jack...

55 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

I have an Android box plugged into my TV using HDMI cable, the sound overall is very poor, to hear something have to adjust volume to very high and yet still not clear sound, was wondering if there are some easy to set up speakers that don't require any Amplifier, an easy simple add on type speakers that I can plug into the TV or bluetooth type speakers, saw some on the internet and Lazada but maybe somebody here has been using some and can advise on type/model/brand, thanks

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nano-speaker-21-ch-nano-fpk-1090-bt-i215025672-s643770963.html

You'll be in the cinema  

If you have the space, you can grab a 5:1 system for even less: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nano-fpk-1070-51-ch-usb-bluetooth-wireless-i2394853387-s8163956770.html

They will both have good sound.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Thanks 1

Well, connecting the optical from the set-box to the AV has the AV working, but I don't think the surround is working. 

When I try moving the HDMI that goes from the set-box to the TV to the AV HDMI out to the TV I get an error that it is in the wrong type HDMI port....

Needs to be HDMI ARC port..

Edited by Yellowtail

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

the AV working, but I don't think the surround is working. 

You'll only get surround if the source material is surround and the set top box is told to output surround ( to SP/DIF) so try digging into the AIS set top box  sound menu to see which options there are.

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

When I try moving the HDMI that goes from the set-box to the TV to the AV HDMI out to the TV I get an error that it is in the wrong type HDMI port....

Leave the HDMI from AIS box to TV as it is  for now...one thing at a time.

Well I'm a little bummed. Can't seem to make this work. I can get the AV to work, but not with the surround.

Optical from AIS set-box to AV works, but the set-box box does not seem to have any settings for sound.

Optical from TV to AV works, but no surround

TV does not have earphone jack, so I can't us the RCA ports

TV has pass-through, but it only works with HDMI ARC

Open to suggestions.

If I can't get this going I may start shopping new AV receivers...

14 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Well I'm a little bummed. Can't seem to make this work. I can get the AV to work, but not with the surround.

Optical from AIS set-box to AV works, but the set-box box does not seem to have any settings for sound.

Optical from TV to AV works, but no surround

TV does not have earphone jack, so I can't us the RCA ports

TV has pass-through, but it only works with HDMI ARC

Open to suggestions.

If I can't get this going I may start shopping new AV receivers...

On most TV the HDMI-ARC port is HDMI 2 but without knowing the make and model of your TV it might be different

also have you gone into the settings of your TV and changed the sound settings from TV speakers to external

22 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nano-speaker-21-ch-nano-fpk-1090-bt-i215025672-s643770963.html

You'll be in the cinema  

If you have the space, you can grab a 5:1 system for even less: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/nano-fpk-1070-51-ch-usb-bluetooth-wireless-i2394853387-s8163956770.html

great options and surprised with the price as well, thanks but my space is limited as I live in a condo unit thus the first option looks like it will fit

12 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

On most TV the HDMI-ARC port is HDMI 2 but without knowing the make and model of your TV it might be different

also have you gone into the settings of your TV and changed the sound settings from TV speakers to external

Yeah, the HDMI-ARC is marked, but the AC receiver does not have it. 

I did change the settings and have tried both the "Receiver (HDMI)" setting and the "Optical" setting. Both work, but no surround. 

23 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You'll be in the cinema  

The 5.1 looks interesting for this price. How do you connect them and what kind of Dolby do they provide? 

5 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

The 5.1 looks interesting for this price. How do you connect them and what kind of Dolby do they provide? 

Are you seriously asking about Dolby? Let's just make out that you were joking and move on...

I imagine standard RCA connectors. If only an optical out is available, then this too; https://shopee.co.th/SPDIF-Sound-Decoder-Pro-AC-3-Optical-Digital-Surround-DTS-Audio-Analog-i.130671956.6673355471

or this:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/51ch-digital-audio-decoder-converter-with-optical-toslink-spdif-coaxial-for-home-theater-ps4-ps3-xbox360-support-volume-control-ac-3-dts-i205382861-s310014298.html

That does the decoding if the output is digital audio. 

6 hours ago, Mavideol said:

great options and surprised with the price as well, thanks but my space is limited as I live in a condo unit thus the first option looks like it will fit

Don't neglect to post a review of the speakers along with any complaints received from your neighbours.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Are you seriously asking about Dolby? Let's just make out that you were joking and move on...

I imagine standard RCA connectors. If only an optical out is available, then this too; https://shopee.co.th/SPDIF-Sound-Decoder-Pro-AC-3-Optical-Digital-Surround-DTS-Audio-Analog-i.130671956.6673355471

or this:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/51ch-digital-audio-decoder-converter-with-optical-toslink-spdif-coaxial-for-home-theater-ps4-ps3-xbox360-support-volume-control-ac-3-dts-i205382861-s310014298.html

That does the decoding if the output is digital audio. 

I don't understand your statement

"Are you seriously asking about Dolby? Let's just make out that you were joking and move on..."

You posted the link for a Dolby 5.1 system. 

In respect of the Dolby digital to analog converter there is a much cheaper one

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/vaorlo51dolby-dtsac-3-optical-to-51-rcatvdvdps4-i1564996855-s4211680828.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.2.3be03471SNuxvt&search=1

The other problem is that the AC-3 input of the speakers don't have an input for the Center speaker but it provides a Center speaker as output. No idea what will be the output there. In the worst case I will have to buy an additional active speaker that can work as Center speaker. 

I don't want to spend much. I have a headphone for Dolby Surround. Not perfect but I can make as much noise as I want. With the speakers in a condo - will not use them often. It is for sure one of the cheapest Dolby setups you can have. I don't expect much. At least I have something to do... 

d01ca9dc7d5e363aeb227cf0f124fd12.jpeg.jpg