Trouble with one of our dogs

7 hours ago, nickcar said:

I wonder if your dog experts can help me. I have a dog about 13 years old, suffers bad Arthritis which has improved since I bought him some pills. His symptoms were his back legs didn’t work very well and he had difficulty getting up but that’s improved enormously. He now is quite vigourous but the problem is he has started peeing in the house. This has been going on for two or three months now and I don’t know how to train him to pee outside again. I am sure he is not incontinent and knows what he is doing.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Do you know what the pills are?  I would assume they are corticosteroids (dexamethasone or prednisolone). These tablets will make him drink more & urinate more. If so, try halving his dose, to see if that helps. Alternatively you could switch to a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (like Rimadyl as suggested by Poohy).

Many older dogs with arthritic conditions also have spinal degeneration, and this can cause urine leaking issues, but this will manifest as incontinence, and your dog would be unaware of what he is doing.

6 hours ago, fabruer said:

Using the same for our 18 year old Dachshund.

Poor thing, artritis really painful. To be honest, in my home country I would help him out of his misery. He is in pain several times a day, doesn't move around much anymore. 

Asked the vet in Thailand, so far they have refused to put him down. Would rather have him suffer it seems ????‍♂️

Edited: typo

It's the Buddhist belief that taking life is a sin, although no-one seems to have a problem eating pork and chicken here.

Check around the vets in your neighborhood, There will always be one that will euthanase your pet, 1000 baht for 20 bahts' worth of medication. Money trumps principles.

• Thanks 1

Get them all neutered. That takes away most all aggression.  The other dogs deserve a happy life. What's the wife's problem with that? It appears your wife is the alfa male in your house. Hope she didn't neuter you. 555

18 hours ago, nickcar said:

I wonder if your dog experts can help me. I have a dog about 13 years old, suffers bad Arthritis which has improved since I bought him some pills. His symptoms were his back legs didn’t work very well and he had difficulty getting up but that’s improved enormously. He now is quite vigourous but the problem is he has started peeing in the house. This has been going on for two or three months now and I don’t know how to train him to pee outside again. I am sure he is not incontinent and knows what he is doing.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Don't let the dog come into the house. Are you not worried about potentially introducing ticks and other nasties into your home? I try to keep my two dogs tick free, but there is always a chance they can pick one or two up. I would never allow a dog into the house. 

Edited by Mutt Daeng

12 hours ago, G Rex said:

Do you know what the pills are?  I would assume they are corticosteroids (dexamethasone or prednisolone). These tablets will make him drink more & urinate more. If so, try halving his dose, to see if that helps. Alternatively you could switch to a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (like Rimadyl as suggested by Poohy).

Many older dogs with arthritic conditions also have spinal degeneration, and this can cause urine leaking issues, but this will manifest as incontinence, and your dog would be unaware of what he is doing.

The pills are called petnc. Claims to have glucosamine, Chondroitin sulphate, MSM and maybe some other bits. I do not think they are steroids but I’m not that knowledgeable to know 

22 minutes ago, nickcar said:

The pills are called petnc. Claims to have glucosamine, Chondroitin sulphate, MSM and maybe some other bits. I do not think they are steroids but I’m not that knowledgeable to know 

Ok , so not steroid then. It would seem that the urination is a behavioural thing - dogs also can develop dementia. Maybe he has forgotten what is acceptable?

19 hours ago, fabruer said:

I saw mentions of a shock collar. I would love to put shock collars on those forum members who mentioned them. See how you love them.

There is nothing wrong with shock collars. I've been shocked by them, it's not a big deal. The shock is light and only a deterrent to the dog, similar to your suggestion of shoving the dog down, growling at it, grabbing it by the throat, and putting your knee on it. Do a little research on positive and negative reinforcement before making idle threats and placing yourself on the moral high ground. 

Your method is also good, straight from the Dog Whisperer. However, you yourself said there is a limited time span and it must be done quickly. You can't always be right there next to the dogs. If they are off playing in the yard, out for a walk, outside while your watching through the window, or for any reason at a distance, your method is not effective. A light shock with a collar by remote control gives instant negative reinforcement immediately and from a distance if required.

Edited by ColeBOzbourne

please do NOT have her put down or shock or muzzle her
she is just being the alpha, the aggression towards others would have come during her rise to the top
sometimes humans interacting with the pack can contribute to this aggression
when the alpha is not supported as the alpha
simply giving the dogs their food in the wrong order, or picking up or favouring the wrong dog too much etc.
there is also the fact the master (you or your wife) left, so they have been like unruley teenagers
you have a few options
send her, or send them all (better) for obdeince training with Boarding
usually takes 3 weeks and costs about 25k baht per dog
get ALL OF THEM neutured
emphasis on ALL as the aggresive one is who you want calm
many people think getting a dog neutered simply means their aggression will be gone
this is not the case when you have neutered dogs with normal dogs
it is the neutered dog that will sense the normal dog has higher hormone levels

and will see it as a threat and become (defensively) aggresive towards it
another option is to buy them pens for sleeping
about 1500 baht each from happyhaus
and obviously there is the option to seperate her by finding her a new home,
but you may have the same experience with the next alpha
depending on the root cause of the issue

whatever you do
make sure in the meantime you reinforce that she is the alpha
AND MAKE SURE THEY GET PLENTY OF EXERCISE !!!!!
they will be too tired to fight
my boys become aggressive towards each other when they dont get the usual good amount
exercise is key

few questions, sorry if answered i havent read the entire thread
are they all same breed? what breed ?
IMPORTANT: are they allowed on the furniture? if so can all get on same height
are any of them picked up more than others ?

where do they all sleep ?
is she aggressive to all the other dogs equally or does the attack one more than the other two?
and what is the pecking order of the others?

i got 6 females (and 2 boys), 3 neutered for various reasons not related to aggression, and 3 normal, none had obedience training.
it is very important to observe and understand how the dogs see where they are in pecking order

Edited by patman30